Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
I am new to Mac and just got a mini a couple of days ago. When I went through the setup I was required to create an iCloud password, which was a bit confusing, since I have an Apple ID for my iPhone and iPad. Anyway:

My phone and iPad have face or touch ID so this was never an issue. On the Mac I need to enter one of the passwords for the App store or to change certain settings (not sure what the pattern is). Since you can't copy/paste your password is there a way to turn off all this password checking?

My system password is 18 characters and I'm close to making it 1234.

Thanks for any advice.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
When I went through the setup I was required to create an iCloud password, which was a bit confusing, since I have an Apple ID for my iPhone and iPad.
You can use the same Apple ID and password to login into iCloud on all your Apple devices.
Since you can't copy/paste your password is there a way to turn off all this password checking?
No. You don’t have to use your Apple ID password as your Macs login password. The passwords can be different. Apple ID can be used to change password if you forget your login password, like fail safe.

Reactions: mr_jomo

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
You can use the same Apple ID and password to login into iCloud on all your Apple devices.

No. You don’t have to use your Apple ID password as your Macs login password. The passwords can be different. Apple ID can be used to change password if you forget your login password, like fail safe.
Thanks for the reply.

When I first powered it up to go through the initial setup, I tried to use my Apple ID password. It was rejected with a message stating that Apple now requires your iCloud password to be different than your Apple ID.

In any event, I can understand the security for mobile devices but they don't require typing your passwords. I looked at the link you provided - I have the passwords, just tired to typing them in to change some settings.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
OK, I made some notes while noodling around:

1. Have to use new iCloud password to login to the Mini (no problem)
2. Apple ID password to use the App Store (I get this since it is like my other devices)
3. To change settings on internet accounts, like deleting calendars and access to Reminders I need to use the password for each account within Settings.
4. Changing some of the Mini settings requires entering my iCloud ID - on my other devices this is not the case

As mentioned earlier copy/paste doesn't work.

My only reference points are my iPhone and iPad where I can change settings for internet accounts without any passwords.

Stretch - is there anyway to use my phone as an authenticator on the Mini i.e. face ID?

If this is how it has to work, I won't be happy, but please let me know so I can move on.

Thanks again.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
I had considered the Magic Keyboard but the lack of a numeric keypad makes this a non-starter. I do a lot of spreadsheet work which would make the trade-off less productive.

I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong since I am new to MacOS.

I'm going to assume that once I have everything the way I want it setup the issues will be minimal. Setting things up was not one pass, like I found my all my calendars linked to Outlook and I started getting notification from Reminders for tasks I had on Google calendar that are actually linked from Todoist.

Thanks again for your help.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I had considered the Magic Keyboard but the lack of a numeric keypad makes this a non-starter. I do a lot of spreadsheet work which would make the trade-off less productive.
There is a full size version with a numeric keypad.

Reactions: August West

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.