Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Hey there, im writing this from my new macbook and let me tell you that I am not really satisfied. I bought the middle class white peryn macbook.

Anyways, first thing i noticed when i do the first boot....blacklight bleeding...a big white spot at the bottom right of the screen, pretty annoying when you watch a movie......nice..:( Is this supposed to be normal?

Second, I hear a noise all the time coming out of this unit..it sounds like an electronical sound...the closer i get my ear to it, the louder it seems but i can hear it when there is no sound around....wonder if thats normal..

Third, the screen doesn't show the same colors....you put the same page at the top of the screen its more yellowish and you put it back down and its like gray...so...wow..not impressive..any ways to remedy to this situation...it does look a little washed

Fourth, the edges are sharpen. little annoyance really...

With all that being said, I do not know what to do. It was my first Apple product because I wanted to do this switch but now with all those problems, it's kinda annoying plus the won't give me all my money back which is pretty disturbing and well...stupid.....sorry to blame Apple guys but any other company would give you the option for a full money back....

So guys, i hope you help me find solutions or anything because...bleh for my first mac and im sad to see this conclusion, ive only been trying it for the past 4 hours and im already ...why did I buy this again? OS X is amazing though....

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Sounds like you might need to make your 1st trip...

to the Apple Store to see a tech about the screen issue. The noises you are hearing could be the fan operating at a much higher speed due to your watching a video, or whizzing past all those web pages that probably have a lot of FLASH running within their web pages. The yellowish screen is a problem that also needs to be addressed at the Apple Store. And yes, the edges are sharper than many other computers, but you might try an adjustment to your hands while typing or purchase a simple palm rest. Also, be careful if you wear a metal band wristwatch b/c you can scratch the computer as you are typing. I strongly recommend that you keep the foam sheet that came with your MB, in between your keyboard and screen on a 24/7 basis, this will keep your screen from being scratched by the spacebar making contact with the screen. Hopefully, this helps. Maybe some others will chip in and give you some helpful info. Good Luck! :cool:

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
to the Apple Store to see a tech about the screen issue. The noises you are hearing could be the fan operating at a much higher speed due to your watching a video, or whizzing past all those web pages that probably have a lot of FLASH running within their web pages. The yellowish screen is a problem that also needs to be addressed at the Apple Store. And yes, the edges are sharper than many other computers, but you might try an adjustment to your hands while typing or purchase a simple palm rest. Also, be careful if you wear a metal band wristwatch b/c you can scratch the computer as you are typing. I strongly recommend that you keep the foam sheet that came with your MB, in between your keyboard and screen on a 24/7 basis, this will keep your screen from being scratched by the spacebar making contact with the screen. Hopefully, this helps. Maybe some others will chip in and give you some helpful info. Good Luck! :cool:

thanks man, well, the screen I do not know if its normal..i mean..a lot of people complain about how its not the best screen ever...and there is no apple store right here...i bought it online...so it kinda sucks for that but im going to montréal this weekend and there is one there but i dont know if i can bring my computer there since it hasn't been bought there..

about the nice...i think its a fan or something but i hear it even when i just press the power button....is that thing supposed to be completely silent??? umm....its kinda hard to find a good posture for the screen because one part always seems to have more colors than the other (up vs down)....

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I hear ya'...

regardless of where you bought your MB, online Apple Distributors are still selling MacBooks, so just make sure you have your receipt that matches your MB, (did you get AppleCare? Not sure if you have that in Canada) b/c you still have at least a one year warranty on your MB. And if you registered your MB you have nothing to worry about, since it's already in their system.

I had the mid-level white MB, then went to the BlackBook 2.4 Penryn and most recently the MacBook Air 1.6, so it's weird that I'm familiar with three different MacBooks in a matter of six months.

The fan on the MB at all levels are extremely loud and seem to be on HIGH during the viewing of videos and flash heavy web pages. I'd be more concerned with the HEAT level, during the high fan operation, since that's why the fans are so active at those times. I remember putting headphones on in the beginning and eventually I didn't notice it that much. But yes, they are not completely quiet; maybe someday. Don't forget to bring the screen issue up with the tech people. KMA (Keep Me Advised) and PM me, I'm in San Francisco, California. :cool:

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Hey guys,

concerning the fan, it's not it....i dont have anything open and it always makes te noise....maybe it's the hard drive but it's annoying as hell...it's like " iiiiiiiiiii " i downloaded istat and it says the fan goes to 1700 rpm so it can't really that much noise...and cpu is only used @ 15%...so yeah...

I guess I might be happier with the PRO but it's so expensive...I don't know guys...

Does your screen do have brighter spots due to blacklight bleeding and stuff...is your macbook completely silent??? Could you please share your experience...

Thanks all

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
My MacBook does make a high pitched electrical sound, but you can't hear it above any background noise at all. I wouldn't worry about that.

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
widgets?

Try a little googling on the programs and dashboard widgets you've installed and see if they're causing it. I remember on my santa rosa macbook after installing the JiWire widget my fan would go nuts, then I checked online and someone reported that it was causing fan spazz. So I deleted it and the problem seemed to subside. The fan does jump on at times and revv up, but I didn't notice the same frequency again. And so far I haven't noticed any loud fan noises with my Penryn macbook.

asme

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
The buzzing sound is common to all consumer notebooks that have a Core 2 Duo processor. It is the idle sound of a core. While one core alone easily runs the idle operating system, the second core does nothing, producing the buzzing "idle" sound. There are programs that silence it by putting the second core under marginal load, but I got used to it after a while and now it doesn't bother me at all.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
The buzzing sound is common to all consumer notebooks that have a Core 2 Duo processor. It is the idle sound of a core. While one core alone easily runs the idle operating system, the second core does nothing, producing the buzzing "idle" sound. There are programs that silence it by putting the second core under marginal load, but I got used to it after a while and now it doesn't bother me at all.

So Penryns suffer from the same "CPU-whine" as Meroms?

Dang, one less reason to upgrade from my Merom BlackBook... :p

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Even though I have what is now considered the "old" Macbook, I can confidently tell you these problems are neither common nor something you should have to deal with. Definitely take it to an Apple store. You didn't mention whether or not you got Applecare. At this stage it should be irrelevant although it always helps to show you bought an extra service. Just be friendly and they will most likely do the right thing by you, I don't personally know anyone that has ever had problems with their customer service. Even most people here will praise them. Now if they try to give you the brush off, make a scene accordingly. Good luck and I think I speak for everyone here when I say don't go back to the dark side. Give them a chance to make it right and keep you as a customer.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Damn.. That sucks. I have the "old" MacBook as well (the last of the Merom 2007 Santa Rosas) and it runs great. Under OS X or XP, doesn't matter. The fan(s) do sometimes spin audibly, but nothing too scary sounding.

As others here have said, take it back and get it replaced. All that stuff isn't normal.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
so i can go and have it replaced in an apple store...even if i bought it online...i might switch for the pro, i dont really like glossy display after all...

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
You clearly have a defective machine - get it replaced then decide.

The sharp edges - call me stupid but didn't you notice that in the shop? I sold mine because I refuse to have a laptop that effectively has a wrist slashing barbed wire fence around it. It is a thoroughly demented design fault that I can't quite believe that successive upgrades have failed to address.

The MBP is a great machine, but in my opinion in need of a redesign. I sold that and got a new iMac + old Powerbook and couldn't be happier. Vote with your feet.

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
And by the way: "MacBook deception!!" sounds and looks silly and childish - accept that your machine is defective - it happens, right? No company can pump out 100% perfect machines - bad luck but don't throw ALL your toys out of the pram.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
And by the way: "MacBook deception!!" sounds and looks silly and childish - accept that your machine is defective - it happens, right? No company can pump out 100% perfect machines - bad luck but don't throw ALL your toys out of the pram.

didn't you think it could be deception after the long anticipated wait....thanks for your opinion though...who cares if the pro needs a redesign, i mean i need my computer right now...

And no I am not stupid...because in the store you can't really feel them...there isn't an Apple store here...so....watch your mouth

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I apologize if I am wrong, but I think the word you are looking for is "disappointment".

well sorry, my first language isn't english, so sometimes mistakes happen :(

sealab2021

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
Do not let anyone tell you that the CPU whine is normal. It's not acceptable. Some people aren't bothered by it, so they'll try to pretend they don't hear it or, maybe they don't.

I can tell you that its not normal. Its only normal because Apple says, well, we don't want to fix it, so its normal! Take advantage of those 2 week return policy. Inside that, Apple will do anything for you. Outside that, you can bet, Apple turns out to be Judus.

I had a first gen MBP, and almost all of em had it, drove me nuts, argh I hated it. I got a SR MBP, and its golden slient. Demand satisfaction from apple, otherwise, by Dell or HP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.