Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Pretending a Mac (or any Apple product) is a status symbol. It is buying into a construct of marketing that has no basis in reality.
I agree. I think it's ridiculous. I was just pointing out that some people make purchases for this bizarre reason.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
In my opinion, how the Mac works in and of itself, as well as with other other devices in the ecosystem is much more important than focusing on the look of the Mac. The Mac is a tool not a fashion statement or status symbol.
well, the thing is, design matters from a usability perspective, too.

the mba wedge was much better for ergonomics,not only thanks to the drop, but also because it was effectively lower and less sharp than the new boxy design. keyboard had more travel than m2. design also makes differences in robustness (although m2 might take the edge on that one).

the new design also has worse sound because it comes from the bottom instead of firing through the sides like regular speakers grills.

point is, it ain't just about looks .

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I like the current designs a lot but I'd be open to something more exciting. Even something as simple as colors like the iMacs have would be pretty cool. I'd get a pacific blue one myself

Reactions: minik

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
And yet, time spent on MacRumors makes it difficult to not conclude that it apparently is for a great many people. As absurd as that even is for me to type.
Pretending a Mac (or any Apple product) is a status symbol. It is buying into a construct of marketing that has no basis in reality.

I respectfully disagree, yo. Time to time, boss man say tuesday is commuterful, gotta gets to da big city (Oooh Wheee! Look at all them TALL buildins), So I get my choo choo on.

During the plague times (I don't want to go on the cart! I feel like dancing!"), folks covered up, dressed in sweats like get the **** away from me.

Things turnin' around now, though. Choo choo buffs dressing way, way up, because there's still fewer of us nowadays, and you gots to a-tract if you expect a downtown nooner.. Rail tickets is the new speed dating without Ashlee Madson blackmailers.

So when I whip out the One-Six - Silver so the ports show - they KNOW it's Premium, Pro or better, no scrappy re-covid GFE. Feds don't dollerate no four grand mobiles, peeryid. I also put a sticker on it, say 'No Apple Care', meaning this thigh master cost my COIN, yo, and I got plenty to pay for repairs.

I flash the universal sign of elite techno-affluance: a Celtic S for SWIFT, takes 11 fingers (I keep the extra rubber one in my shirt pocket, because I can't figure out no stupid swallow-bird shape that don't look like Paul and Linda McCartneys' Wings). App Store RESIDUALS comin' hard all the time!
1714701026909.png

Sure enough, I rate an approach... Oh yesssss... tall, stacked, sugar and spice smell niiiice. Sits down. We make eye contact. Poised, polite, fresh breath shouting, because I sit under the air conditioner (also by the door, so basically everybody has to approach), "That looks heavy. You should come and see me. Maybe I can, otherwise engage your hands." Wedges a business card into my painfully tangled mits. Capital Rheumatology! SCORE! Guaranteed more face to face hand-holding!

Not a status symbol, huh?

Last edited:

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I respectfully disagree, yo. Time to time, boss man say tuesday is commuterful, gotta gets to da big city (Oooh Wheee! Look at all them TALL buildins), So I get my choo choo on.

During the plague times (I don't want to go on the cart! I feel like dancing!"), folks covered up, dressed in sweats like get the **** away from me.

Things turnin' around now, though. Choo choo buffs dressing way, way up, because there's still fewer of us nowadays, and you gots to a-tract if you expect a downtown nooner.. Rail tickets is the new speed dating without Ashlee Madson blackmailers.

So when I whip out the One-Six - Silver so the ports show - they KNOW it's Premium, Pro or better, no scrappy re-covid GFE. Feds don't dollerate no four grand mobiles, peeryid. I also put a sticker on it, say 'No Apple Care', meaning this thigh master cost my COIN, yo, and I got plenty to pay for repairs.

I flash the universal sign of elite techno-affluance: a Celtic S for SWIFT, takes 11 fingers (I keep the extra rubber one in my shirt pocket, because I can't figure out no stupid swallow-bird shape that don't look like Paul and Linda McCartneys' Wings). App Store RESIDUALS comin' hard all the time!
View attachment 2374070

Sure enough, I rate an approach... Oh yesssss... tall, stacked, sugar and spice smell niiiice. Sits down. We make eye contact. Poised, polite, fresh breath shouting, because I sit under the air conditioner (also by the door, so basically everybody has to approach), "That looks heavy. You should come and see me. Maybe I can, otherwise engage your hands." Wedges a business card for into my painfully tangled mits. Capital Rheumatology! SCORE! Guaranteed more face to face hand-holding!

I understood some of these words. Did you type this while having a stroke?

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I understood some of these words. Did you type this while having a stroke?
😆 Not a stroke. Flashbacks, though... Principal at the ol' parochial school breaking yardsticks over my butt...

"Mom said creative license is allowed," I whimpered...

Then it went something like... "You're!" Whack. "An!" Whack. "Illiterate!" Whack. "MAGGOT!" Snap!

Good Times... Nice to know I still gots the gift.

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
No one here knows. The best we can venture is a guess based on the product's history. It's not going to be this year. 2025 would be the earliest and 2027 the latest. Even if they released a new design tomorrow, there's no guarantee that you'll like it more (or dislike it less) than the current one.

I dislike the notch a lot and hope they get rid of it the next time around. Unfortunately, my late-2013 MBP is at death's door, so I'm begrudgingly joining the notch club. Everyone says you get used to it.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
No one here knows. The best we can venture is a guess based on the product's history. It's not going to be this year. 2025 would be the earliest and 2027 the latest. Even if they released a new design tomorrow, there's no guarantee that you'll like it more (or dislike it less) than the current one.

I dislike the notch a lot and hope they get rid of it the next time around. Unfortunately, my late-2013 MBP is at death's door, so I'm begrudgingly joining the notch club. Everyone says you get used to it.
I felt grumpy about the notch, too. Bezels never bothered me. I was positive it would screw with my flow.

Turns out, I barely notice it cosmetically. Hasn’t messed me up at all so far - bout a month.

I’m hard pressed to figure anything I’d change design-wise. Wiseacery notwithstanding, I agree with @cateye that cosmetics and constant pressure to refresh them as conspicuous consumption, like jewelry, is a distraction from the fact that it’s a tool. It does work.

I’m glad I bought in at this point.

Maybe I’d add knurling in a band around the top cover and base. It’s so slick, I never like my grip when handling it. Nothing other than that… Well, now that I think of it, I liked the touchbar…

Reactions: punchwalk

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
For 25 years I have always felt a desire to upgrade my MacBook Pro/Air when new versions are released. However since two years that feeling is gone.

I honestly hate the fat looking rounded edge design of the MacBooks, feels like a tribute to MacBooks 20 years ago. I guess Ive/Jobs would never ever allowed that design.

Perhaps this is even more superficial than appearance… but the current gen M series MacBook Pros *feel* so good in hand to me. And in day to day use, it doesn’t look or feel as thick to me as it initially did in photos. (I also used a 2012 and then 2018 MBP. The current design has grown on me— I like it. I’m now imagining new iPads and iPhones following the aesthetic.)

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021

View attachment 2374070

Sure enough, I rate an approach... Oh yesssss... tall, stacked, sugar and spice smell niiiice. Sits down. We make eye contact. Poised, polite, fresh breath shouting, because I sit under the air conditioner (also by the door, so basically everybody has to approach), "That looks heavy. You should come and see me. Maybe I can, otherwise engage your hands." Wedges a business card into my painfully tangled mits. Capital Rheumatology! SCORE! Guaranteed more face to face hand-holding!

What other platforms are you on ? Reddit or sth? I wanna follow your posts , in all seriousness

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
For 25 years I have always felt a desire to upgrade my MacBook Pro/Air when new versions are released. However since two years that feeling is gone.

I honestly hate the fat looking rounded edge design of the MacBooks, feels like a tribute to MacBooks 20 years ago. I guess Ive/Jobs would never ever allowed that design.

So my question is: Does anyone have any info of a design overhaul for the MacBooks?

Thanks
John
I too was skeptical about the design language. But when my 13” 2020 Intel MBP died, the 14” Pro was the logical replacement.

My impression is that the design is much nicer in person than on images. They look thicker due to the squarer design with flat surfaces and straight edges, but the thickness is identical to the older design.

In use it’s a lot nicer too. The taller screen is immediately noticeable as is the spacier keyboard layout. When I compare the two designs side by side I find the newer one to feel more premium, with smoother seams and an overall nicer feel.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
design matters from a usability perspective, too
If you look at PowerBook and MacBook Pro design from a usability perspective there is no real difference since, what, the TiBook G4? Sure, the display bezels are smaller and the trackpad is larger, but we're talking about the shape of the chassis here.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
What other platforms are you on ? Reddit or sth? I wanna follow your posts , in all seriousness
Awww, shucks 😊, thanx for sayin. In all seriousness, quite possibly the nicest thing anyone ever said to me. The previous nicest thing was "Oh, for Pete's sake, fine," when my lovely girlfriend agreed to marry me in exchange for mucking stalls for a week.

Generally, I avoid social media like the plague. I HAVE accounts on all the majors, just to secure my handle, but I don't post there. I like the proverbial "smaller pond"; easier to sense blood in the water. I post occasionally on DPreview and PetaPixel, where generative AI imagery issues have me riled up. For the record, I am not opposed, just rabid about an honest understanding of what GenAI really is, and the integrity of journalism as a professional endeavor and ethical commitment.

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
what else are you expecting?

Its been iterated, iterated, iterated... until we are where we are.

Do you want a triangle shape?

Its a slim unibody metal design with a lid containing a screen.

I just dont see any possible further changes apart from occasionally fiddling with 'curved corners vs straight ones' etc etc.

Its like the iPhone - theres nowhere really for that design to go anymore until such time as the phone changes drastically.

Without some unforeseen quantum leap in either keyboard design / completely new paradigm.... or screen design - an ever tweaked but never changing rectangular metal slab it is.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

So my question is: Does anyone have any info of a design overhaul for the MacBooks?

Thanks
John
Sorry no info, but my opinion is 180 degrees in opposition to yours. IMO MBPs have been evolving to become superb desktop-replacement-competence mobile computing solutions. Please, no design overhaul.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I don't get the hatred for the notch. The alternative is that the area left and right of the camera is bezel instead of display. I have the menu bar always visible, solid black, meaning the notch is essentially invisible. Most of the time I forget it's even there. But I benefit from the larger display area.
I don’t like that it reduces usable menu bar space. Those controls get hidden on the laptop screen (they’re visible and usable on an external monitor).

• Haha
Reactions: Timpetus

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
The Mac is a tool not a fashion statement or status symbol.
I love tools that are also fashion statement and status symbol...the shovel was once that too. its Before Apple contemplate a new MBP design, it need to fix the charging issue first...

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
apple hit gold with the aluminium unibody design. of course they've tweaked it over the last 16 years (wow i feel old) but that "same" design is still here today. the current MBA is so close to perfect for me. i don't have a major issue with the notch but i'd like to see it gone one day with an under screen camera/face id sensor but we're still waiting for that to happen on iphone so it's not going to happen any time soon.

i guess i could argue the lack of usb-a, hdmi, sd card slots but if you need that you just get a MBP. 1 usb c port is more than enough for me on my MBA. i don't even use the headphone jack because i have air pods.

hopefully Apple bring OLED to macbook soon. when the Air gets OLED it will be pure perfection.

I really don't see how they can improve the design any further.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
apple hit gold with the aluminium unibody design. of course they've tweaked it over the last 16 years (wow i feel old) but that "same" design is still here today. the current MBA is so close to perfect for me. i don't have a major issue with the notch but i'd like to see it gone one day with an under screen camera/face id sensor but we're still waiting for that to happen on iphone so it's not going to happen any time soon.

i guess i could argue the lack of usb-a, hdmi, sd card slots but if you need that you just get a MBP. 1 usb c port is more than enough for me on my MBA. i don't even use the headphone jack because i have air pods.

hopefully Apple bring OLED to macbook soon. when the Air gets OLED it will be pure perfection.

I really don't see how they can improve the design any further.
I have the M1 MBA and I have it hooked it up a 49" Super Ultrawide, Ethernet, charging, and a million peripherals at my desk with only the two ports. Although the lack of ports is annoying, with the proper adapters, it can be made to work.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I don’t like that it reduces usable menu bar space. Those controls get hidden on the laptop screen (they’re visible and usable on an external monitor).
On my 16" I have fortunately never quite reached the point of any menu bar content being under the notch.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
On my 16" I have fortunately never quite reached the point of any menu bar content being under the notch.
Most apps have changed their UI for the MBP so that it doesn't interfere with the menu. It's not that big of a deal.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010

Thanks
John
Have you tried holding the MacBook Airs? They might not be wedge-shaped anymore but in the hands they feel amazingly thin and light - with the lid open they're also still remarkably thin (even if they're more rounded than before). Maybe give it a try for a week and if you aren't happy then return it? :)

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
Bezels never bothered me.
Same! The race towards zero bezels has never made sense to me.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll get used to the notch. My biggest hesitation in buying a notched MBP was that I didn't want to vote (with my money) for a design that I dislike so much. At least I saved a few bucks by buying refurbished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.