Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reusman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
So I heard that the new macbooks [released today] no longer have the fall sensing hard drives. Apparently they are now only part of the air/pro laptops. Anyone know more about this/ can anyone confirm it?

Kinda sad...

Z

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
That really doesn't seem that logical if they did.

By looking on the Technical Specifications, I did a page wide search and found nothing about a Sudden Motion Sensor.

reusman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Confirmed... I think?

Just talked with someone at the Apple Store Online [not sure how knowledgeable they are about the new macbooks]. However, he confirmed that the "Sudden Motion Sensor" is no longer included in the Macbook, nor is it an option [obviously].

Sadness. Why would Apple eliminate a safety feature?!

Sad Z

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I just checked the new MacBook Pro info page and it isn't there either. I think we will need to wait and see. Maybe someone can call an Apple Store, have them bring up the System Profiler.

inspir3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
somone please check and confirm this..:(
i might get a refurbished if this is true.

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Just got mine this morning - System Profiler definitely says 'Sudden Motion Sensor - Enabled'

:)

reusman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Confirmed... Again... I think...

I talked with someone at the apple store [South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA]. He didn't even hesitate before responding "No, unfortunately that feature is no longer part of the macbook lineup".

This is especially confusing since others have stated that they have found it in system profiler... What's up with this?!

Confused...

reusman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Correction - Macbook Lineup = Macbook Only

I said earlier that the guy at the apple store said the feature was removed from the macbook lineup... This was meant to imply only the macbooks. He confirmed that the feature is still part of the air/ pro... Sorry for any confusion.

Z

j.dunning

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Orem, UT
I just got a new 2.4 BlackBook last night and the sudden motion sensor still says that it is enabled in the System Profiler. It looks to me like its still there.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just got a new 2.4 BlackBook last night and the sudden motion sensor still says that it is enabled in the System Profiler. It looks to me like its still there.

You might want to post a screen shot? Remove your serial number first of course.

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Here we go, doubters.... and why would I want to remove my serial, just out of interest?

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 305

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I'm at the Apple Store...

Here we go, doubters.... and why would I want to remove my serial, just out of interest?

and like pjashley1 shows on his screenshot, it is definitely ENABLED on the MB 2.4 I'm picking up right now, (I'm having my data transferred over from my MacBook 2.16 presently)! I also confirmed this with the Apple Store Manager. My specs:

# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
# 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Also, remember to ADD the Apple REMOTE, 'cause it doesn't come pre-loaded in the box anymore! :p

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Anyone with a new MB: Try using one of the many programs that lets you do stuff with the sudden motion sensor (games, etc). If it works, they still have the sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.