Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
today my macbook pro 2.4 ghz sr just shut down on me while i was working. Thinking it had for some reason gone to sleep without asking, I tried to bring it back... didn' work. I plugged it into an outlet, and then it came back from sleep. Thinking this was just a 1 time thing (which up to then it was), I kept working, my batt display was not near 5, i chalked it up as anamoly. Then, a few minutes later, it shut down again. So I tried turning power on, battery unplugged, didn't work. Tried again, battery plugged, came back from sleep again. So, as I was on my home anyway, I shut it down hoping things would be okay on a restart.

Loe and behold, I turn on my mbp when i get home, and it suddenly has a battery health of 23%... i checked istat pro and coco battery. I'm gonna call applecare anyway, but anyone have an idea about whats up? The day prior my batt health was at around 97 if recall. I've had the mac for 5 months, and nothing like this has ever happenned. If it matters any, I was working with istopmotion using my isight as a video input prior to the first shutdown. And the first thing I did with the mbp was calibrate it. I've completely emptied and recharged the battery at least once per month, perhaps more as long as I've owned it.

It's a 2.4 ghz mbp, 4 GB ram, hitachi 2k700 200 gb drive, 15 inch.

any ideas?

comingaround

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2005
just take it to some apple store. check to see if your battery is warped. i bought the first macbook pro and my battery eventually warped and stopped working in your exact fashion. the metal will rise off of the battery unit if its warping, but this should have been fixed. you might just have one of those anomalies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.