Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
United States
Hello, I just recently purchased a new MacBook Pro 13 inch with touch bar mid-2017 from Apple with the base specs with the exception of upgraded CPU at 3.3 ghz i5. I just started this laptop and played around with it to get used to it, after all it was my first :)

I went to "about this Mac" to see information about battery to found out that the battery already has 2 charge cycles!
Is it normal for brand new laptops from apple to have one or even two charge cycles when first bought?

When I was working with the laptop, the first 10 minutes, I noticed the laptop would get ridiculously hot, only to cool down after I restarted the Mac.
Is this normal?

So with all these things going on I got a free app from the App Store called battery health to check my state of the battery. I noticed that the battery capacity would fluctuate from 4468Mah to 4350Mah.
I am a student and need reliable battery which will last for years without losing charge so quickly! is this normal or is my laptop experiencing a defect?

ps, the laptop came with a small (almost unnoticeable) scratch on the top right hand corner... although I think I could live with it, should I have higher expectations of Apple after the $2000 spent on this laptop?

Thank you

ksone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
United States
In addition to the question above, (which thanks audit :) for responding)
would it also come with exact 4315 mah battery or a bit over?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sorry, I don't know the battery mah would be but I recommend checking it against the apple website.

If you are having any doubts, contact apple right away or return it and get another one. If the return period has expired, take it to an apple store for diagnosis.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
In addition to the question above, (which thanks audit :) for responding)
would it also come with exact 4315 mah battery or a bit over?

There is a bit of variability in battery capacity between nominal and actual - both 4350 and 4468 are higher than 4315, which would be typical. As an electro-chemical device, ambient temperature will affect battery capacity (try measuring it after carrying the Mac around on a cold winter's day). There's also some variability in the ability to accurately measure the battery's capacity. The two figures you quoted are within 2% of each other, don't obsess over it. It's not a sign that the battery will fail prematurely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.