Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecrazychimpz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I recently bought the new MacBook Pro (touch bar) 13 inch with the following configuration:

Processor: 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

However, the screen feels kind of small, so I'm considering returning it and getting the old model, but with a 15 inch display. The processor would then drop down to a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.

If I went with the older model with the bigger display, would the computer still run well? I'm trying to use some relatively heavy programs like Unity and Blender along with some IDEs. Would the older model last me just as long?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with keys above.
The "old" model isn't really old -- up until a couple of months' back, it was "current".
Faster machine, and if you shop carefully, you may find one for a very good price.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I went with the older model with the bigger display, would the computer still run well?
Yes, it seems that the 2015 MBP is a bit faster computationally speaking. Apple continues to improve SSD speeds, so teh 2016 model is faster in that aspect.

I'm trying to use some relatively heavy programs like Unity and Blender along with some IDEs
The 2015" 15" model will be more then up to the task.

Would the older model last me just as long?
Yes, as I'm sure you can still find them as "new" in various places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.