Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fender914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Hi everyone! I posted a bit ago about my current 2015 Early 2015 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 w/ 8GB RAM & 512GB SSD). Thanks so much for all of the help and support - I upgraded the battery and while the device is running much better, I'm financially in a position where I'd like to upgrade my tech for reliability, and more power. The old device is having a hard time on video calls where the fans blast like nobody's business.

Speaking of fans - I've always been a fan (haha) of Macbook Pro's. I never thought I'd consider an Air - but the new M2 Air designs have me rethinking that. I just didn't like the slanted design, personal preference. I've taken a look at the 14-inch Pro, and honestly, it is pretty bulky. the M2 13-inch Pro is off the table - I'm not using the touch bar OR sticking with almost the same design that I have on my 2015 Pro.

This all has me thinking - if the M1/M2 chips are really all they're made out to be, do I need a fan to sustain my workload? I'm not the guy who's editing videos, but I do work on my computer constantly for work - probably a bit more than the average worker (I run my own businesses.) Multiple applications, web browsers, tabs, video calls, like 10 email accounts on the Mail app, calendars, messages, a ton of stuff.

In addition to work, I like to play and emulate older games (Portal, Portal 2, OpenEMU, Dolphin, etc) and I do a bit of light music recording. Nothing crazy, I'm not planning on self-producing music, it's just for fun. My current MacBook Pro can't really handle the Steam games, music recording, and heavy, sustained workloads at this point. Lastly, I'm planning on installing Parallels VM for both Steam gaming (nothing crazy, I have a PS4) and in case I ever need a Windows-only application for work.

After a good bit of time doing research, I've settled on the M2 Macbook Air with 16GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, and with LogicPro installed (I'm losing my current MIDI sound applications, they aren't silicon compatible yet). I'm comfortable with the budget, so that isn't an issue.

I know a lot of people feel that at this point I should just get the 14-inch Pro and up the specs to match what I have. But honestly, after feeling them, I don't want to. I want something slim because I carry my computer with me everywhere I go. If I could have a portable device that can handle my workloads and gaming on road trips or at the airport, then I'm set - I couldn't be happier with it. I want this computer to last me the next 5+ years.

I guess my ask for you is - if you feel strongly, talk me into getting a 14-inch Pro, OR, if you seriously think the M2 Air that I described above will work for my needs, let me know. I guess I'm just not sure if I really need a fan or not. Are the silicon chips that good? What do you think? Cheers!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yes, you made (or are about to make) a good decision. The M2 Air is enough for your needs. On my M1 Air (not at the same time), I edit 4K in DaVinci Resolve, use Logic Pro with 40+ tracks with third-party VST instruments that consume a lot of RAM, and can run VMs of Monterey and Ventura in UTM - this all happens without a hassle, and it remains absolutely silent because it doesn't have a fan. And it rarely ever gets hot. So I think that the M2 Air, which is faster than mine, will be fine for you.

I think a 14-inch Pro will be too much and is not worth it for what you are doing. I've talked to people who have 14-inch MBPs with M1 Pro and even M1 Max and don't really do anything on it except web browsing, which doesn't make sense WHATSOEVER. So please don't do that.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful, and please share your final decision.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Yeah, ever since Apple introduced the Apple Silicon MacBook Airs, they've become almost as fast and powerful as their Pro equivalents, compared to their Intel predecessors. I use an M1 MacBook Air with 16 GB of RAM for a lot of video editing projects, usually the highest res being 1080p HD, and it barely gets warm and also renders video projects in just a third of the time it'd take my 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini (also with 16 GB of RAM) to do so.
For your purposes, an M2 MacBook Air would be a great option, especially with the 16 GB or even 24 GB of RAM. Apple's official promotional images even proudly show the new Air running Final Cut Pro! (Before that, they usually only showed the Airs and 13" pre-2016 Pros running iMovie for video editing.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi everyone! I posted a bit ago about my current 2015 Early 2015 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 w/ 8GB RAM & 512GB SSD). Thanks so much for all of the help and support - I upgraded the battery and while the device is running much better, I'm financially in a position where I'd like to upgrade my tech for reliability, and more power. The old device is having a hard time on video calls where the fans blast like nobody's business.

Speaking of fans - I've always been a fan (haha) of Macbook Pro's. I never thought I'd consider an Air - but the new M2 Air designs have me rethinking that. I just didn't like the slanted design, personal preference. I've taken a look at the 14-inch Pro, and honestly, it is pretty bulky. the M2 13-inch Pro is off the table - I'm not using the touch bar OR sticking with almost the same design that I have on my 2015 Pro.

This all has me thinking - if the M1/M2 chips are really all they're made out to be, do I need a fan to sustain my workload? I'm not the guy who's editing videos, but I do work on my computer constantly for work - probably a bit more than the average worker (I run my own businesses.) Multiple applications, web browsers, tabs, video calls, like 10 email accounts on the Mail app, calendars, messages, a ton of stuff.

In addition to work, I like to play and emulate older games (Portal, Portal 2, OpenEMU, Dolphin, etc) and I do a bit of light music recording. Nothing crazy, I'm not planning on self-producing music, it's just for fun. My current MacBook Pro can't really handle the Steam games, music recording, and heavy, sustained workloads at this point. Lastly, I'm planning on installing Parallels VM for both Steam gaming (nothing crazy, I have a PS4) and in case I ever need a Windows-only application for work.

After a good bit of time doing research, I've settled on the M2 Macbook Air with 16GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, and with LogicPro installed (I'm losing my current MIDI sound applications, they aren't silicon compatible yet). I'm comfortable with the budget, so that isn't an issue.

I know a lot of people feel that at this point I should just get the 14-inch Pro and up the specs to match what I have. But honestly, after feeling them, I don't want to. I want something slim because I carry my computer with me everywhere I go. If I could have a portable device that can handle my workloads and gaming on road trips or at the airport, then I'm set - I couldn't be happier with it. I want this computer to last me the next 5+ years.

I guess my ask for you is - if you feel strongly, talk me into getting a 14-inch Pro, OR, if you seriously think the M2 Air that I described above will work for my needs, let me know. I guess I'm just not sure if I really need a fan or not. Are the silicon chips that good? What do you think? Cheers!
What is your budget? I would not advise on an M2 MBA.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
What is your budget? I would not advise on an M2 MBA.
Why not? (Elaboration is really the only helpful part about advice here)

Personally, @OP, you sound pretty made up on the M2 for portability and lack of fans. I went with the 14" MBP because my thinking was it'll be better for the long run in terms of ability to have more sustained power as apps get more CPU and GPU-hungry (they always do, which is why objectively good processors won't always be as useful even if they benchmark the same as they did on day 1).

M2 is fairly close to M1 Pro base in terms of performance and better on efficiency. I do a lot of the same stuff you do on my Mac and it works great for it all. I don't think the M2 Air will do that same workload at a substantially poorer level.

I haven't tried Parallels for gaming but I've heard mixed results so far, so I wouldn't count on that too heavily. But maybe your research has been more promising than has mine.

A pound or so doesn't make a difference to me, so I don't care about the weight. MBA will have better battery life and is better in that sense if you're on the go a lot. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Air, but I am happy with my 14".

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Personally, @OP, you sound pretty made up on the M2 for portability and lack of fans. I went with the 14" MBP because my thinking was it'll be better for the long run in terms of ability to have more sustained power as apps get more CPU and GPU-hungry (they always do, which is why objectively good processors won't always be as useful even if they benchmark the same as they did on day 1).

M2 is fairly close to M1 Pro base in terms of performance and better on efficiency. I do a lot of the same stuff you do on my Mac and it works great for it all. I don't think the M2 Air will do that same workload at a substantially poorer level.

I haven't tried Parallels for gaming but I've heard mixed results so far, so I wouldn't count on that too heavily. But maybe your research has been more promising than has mine.

A pound or so doesn't make a difference to me, so I don't care about the weight. MBA will have better battery life and is better in that sense if you're on the go a lot. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Air, but I am happy with my 14".
OP's workload is not as heavy; however, seeing as they want to play games, they'll need sustain performance which the MBA will not do. More so with the hotter M2 chip.

fender914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
OP's workload is not as heavy; however, seeing as they want to play games, they'll need sustain performance which the MBA will not do. More so with the hotter M2 chip.
I appreciate that! My thoughts are that the gaming that I want to do isn't anything crazy. I grew up playing Portal and the original Lego Star Wars, I'm just thinking of reliving past memories with this machine. By no means am I planning on playing a game like GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, etc. I have the PS4 for that - I just want my laptop to be able to run older games that I can't play on the PS4 and above.

fender914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022

Yeah, I like your thinking of the "long run" here. Having the fans as a caution to keep them healthier for longer is something to think about.

I wasn't even planning on using Parallels until I found out that Apple stopped supporting 32 bit games. I had Parallels on the current 2015 MB Pro for college, and honestly, I think it's what degraded its performance so quickly - I had to change the logic board on that 5 years in. I abused that computer but at the time didn't really know how to maintain a computer - I'd leave everything and anything open and didn't think much of it. Parallels did work fine, but took up all of the space on my computer. It's why I decided on getting 1TB in the device I upgrade to.

fender914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
I appreciate that! My thoughts are that the gaming that I want to do isn't anything crazy. I grew up playing Portal and the original Lego Star Wars, I'm just thinking of reliving past memories with this machine. By no means am I planning on playing a game like GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, etc. I have the PS4 for that - I just want my laptop to be able to run older games that I can't play on the PS4 and above.
Sorry, missed your original question. I'm looking to spend around $2500 (ideally including Apple Care). I could go a little more, but I don't want to spend close to $3000.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021

the M2 seems to run hot compared to M1 .

have u considered a MBA M1? it rly is the perfect device and the wedge allows for superb ergonomics .

unless ofc u mind the old design

Reactions: dandeco

tastesliketailpipe

Suspended
Jun 15, 2022
Yes, you made (or are about to make) a good decision. The M2 Air is enough for your needs. On my M1 Air (not at the same time), I edit 4K in DaVinci Resolve, use Logic Pro with 40+ tracks with third-party VST instruments that consume a lot of RAM, and can run VMs of Monterey and Ventura in UTM - this all happens without a hassle, and it remains absolutely silent because it doesn't have a fan. And it rarely ever gets hot. So I think that the M2 Air, which is faster than mine, will be fine for you.

I think a 14-inch Pro will be too much and is not worth it for what you are doing. I've talked to people who have 14-inch MBPs with M1 Pro and even M1 Max and don't really do anything on it except web browsing, which doesn't make sense WHATSOEVER. So please don't do that.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful, and please share your final decision.

How much RAM does your machine have?

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I replaced my 2015 MBP 16GB ram, 2GB NVIDIA Graphics and 1 TB SSD storage with a 2020 M1 MBA (8/256), and for what I do (Logic Pro audio, mild photography) it outperforms the 2015 MBP convincingly! Be cautious if considering the 2022 M2 MBA until after getting performance reviews, for reasons you've probably read about...

fender914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Thanks for everyone's help here. I've decided (and come to terms with) that the 14" Macbook Pro 16GB/1TB is the device I should go with. If I were to go with the M2 MB Air, the $ that I would pay in Apple dongles & adapters for current devices is literally more than the difference between the two devices at that point. When it comes down to the ports, the better screen, size, speakers, etc - it's just the smarter choice to make, and the better choice for the long term.

Apple's marketing almost got the best of me here, yes the M2 MB Air is very good looking, but that's not where the value lies in a work device.

Now I'm half tempted to wait until the 14" MB Pros with the M2 Pro chips come out... or is that overthinking?

Thanks again, everyone!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
MacBook Pro 14", base model, is my suggestion.
Or... if you're sure you'll need it, get the 16gb/1tb SSD upgrade.

BE AWARE that there may be sales going on (check amazon) of either configuration.
I'd be inclined to "get the one with the sale price", even if the SSD is 512gb...

fender914

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Hey everyone, I thought I'd check in with an update. I'm typing this reply on my 14" MB Pro and I love it. After seeing some of the reviews on the M2 Air I'm still extremely happy with my decision to just get the Pro. I did end up upgrading the storage to 1TB, which I might not have needed but I really like having more than enough storage for anything I want. Thanks again to everyone who commented and shared their advice, I really appreciate it!

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
With my 2015 MacBook Air needing a new battery and with a bad case of wanting to buy something, I ordered a MacBook Pro M1 14" today! Driving forces were not having to worry about dongles to get MagSafe and extra ports, a far better screen and discounted AppleCarePlus. Should get it in a week or two! Then comes all my nail biting about setting it up. And what kind of USB adapters to get to hook up to my old accessories (see another post on the forum).

Reactions: James_C

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Hey everyone, I thought I'd check in with an update. I'm typing this reply on my 14" MB Pro and I love it. After seeing some of the reviews on the M2 Air I'm still extremely happy with my decision to just get the Pro. I did end up upgrading the storage to 1TB, which I might not have needed but I really like having more than enough storage for anything I want. Thanks again to everyone who commented and shared their advice, I really appreciate it!
Congrats and Enjoy! 🥳

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.