Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamTyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hi, I have an ignorant question: I just read that the M1 is faster because the new macs are not modular as before but all the parts are interconnected. Does that mean that if there is a damage, like for example water damage, the new Mac will be completely destroyed while in the old Mac you could just change one part and the data had more chances to be recovered? Sorry I am not sure I understood how that works, but I have a bad track record of water damage and I am concerned, thank you

Nate Spencer

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Hi, I have an ignorant question: I just read that the M1 is faster because the new macs are not modular as before but all the parts are interconnected. Does that mean that if there is a damage, like for example water damage, the new Mac will be completely destroyed while in the old Mac you could just change one part and the data had more chances to be recovered? Sorry I am not sure I understood how that works, but I have a bad track record of water damage and I am concerned, thank you
Backup data... Always. I have had removable drives fail and integrated flash ones tend to hold up. But that is by no means guaranteed. Laptops can get destroyed including the storage. Failures happen. Time machine is straightforward. I have a two copies of that time machine. One is kept off-site. If you care about your data this shouldn't be even a concern. Plenty of solutions to backup. It depends on your needs.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Just as any MacBook made in decades, water damage is water damage. That’s likely going to result in corrosion on the motherboard.

An intel machine with a bad motherboard is exactly the same. If the mobo is dead it’s dead. For your scenario nothing has changed at all.

So the answer here as mentioned above is just make sure your machine gets backed up regularly...and try to avoid the water damage.

Reactions: Nate Spencer

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
The data is never safe on a Mac or a PC.

With both the M1 and the current Intel Macs, the hard drive is integrated with the logic board. The logic board is the main board in the computer. If liquid spills on the computer, it will rapidly make its way to the logic board and bad things will happen. Getting data off of it is then a more complicated procedure and may or may not be possible depending on the state of the damage. Subsequently, backing up is absolutely critical. However, backing up was critical before as well, as any storage medium can catastrophically fail without warning, including even the most reliable SSDs. If you are not good about backing up with a hard drive you can plug into the computer, you should consider a wireless hard drive setup such as Network Attached Storage. Additionally, you should always store a copy of your most important files offsite, which you can accomplish with iCloud or OneDrive.

Reactions: Nate Spencer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.