Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xhopex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
my 2.16ghz blackbook's high-pitched "whine" has seemed to get progressively louder over time. it's even worse when the charger is plugged in. i took it to the apple store today & they are going to replace the charger input & the logic board (i have no idea if that will help at all). i'm just wondering if newer macbooks still have this same whine? my friendd just got a new macbook & it doesn't seem to have the whining at all.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
my 2.16ghz blackbook's high-pitched "whine" has seemed to get progressively louder over time. it's even worse when the charger is plugged in. i took it to the apple store today & they are going to replace the charger input & the logic board (i have no idea if that will help at all). i'm just wondering if newer macbooks still have this same whine? my friendd just got a new macbook & it doesn't seem to have the whining at all.

i do have it, calling apple today!

xhopex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
an update: i took it to the apple store on monday. the guy agreed the sound was abnormal. they replaced the charger input & the logic board. i got it back wednesday night. it was still making the noise, so i backed everything up as i had a bad feeling about it. by the next morning it was totally dead (probably a bad logic board). so i took it back & they had it ready for me this morning, this time replacing the logic board again & the inverter. it was still making the same noise once i got home.

i called them, & explained my situation & the person immediately said "let me get your info to a manager, she will call you back this afternoon." a few hours later, i get a call back from a manager saying that obviously after 3 logic boards not changing anything, it's time to replace the computer (i didn't even ask for that yet, although i was going to). she set me up with an appointment, & now i have a brand new 2.4ghz blackbook :)
this has a more noticeable normal "computer hum" than my 2.16, but it is NOT high pitched, & it is NOT whiny...just normal computer sounds. i am so happy & the apple store really did everything they could try & fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.