Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
So, this is probably a topic somewhere already, but, I've heard that when Leopard is released and such, that new Macbooks are going to be released as well. Does anyone have any dirt, or just some speculation as to what kinds of "new" things will be in this "new" macbook? More RAM? Better processors? New programs? I can only dream. If anyone has any thoughts, please share, because I'm getting a Macbook in January and I'm terribly excited (nearly drooling) about getting it with them being as they are now, but with the idea of having leopard with it, and possibly better specs/programs, et cetera than what comes with Macbooks right now...Well, it's almost enough to make me orgasm if I was a fanboy :p

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Well, I apologise for not being a very good searcher, but the post I was linked to didn't tell me anything; I was hoping for more specifics. And honestly, the only place I ever go on this site in the forums..haha.

Okay, so this one is probably also a question there's out there somewhere, but since this is already open, I might as well ask, as I have to go to work soon, and don't have the time to search...

What kind of speed changes do you guys expect with Leopard? If I'm going for 2.0Ghz core 2 duo processor and 2GB of RAM, and I plan to use it for Logic studio (and the other programs with the logic set) and sometimes some other media-related activities, is more RAM going to be "necessary"?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I am running Leopard on the system in my sig, no issues whatsoever. However, I do not run Logic Studio, so I cannot speak to the requirements that it might have. But I have noticed that I can do just as much if not more, with the same amount of RAM in Leopard, so i would assume that if you are content with your system under Tiger, you should be fine with it in Leopard.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Then search when you return from work. Honestly, we are not here to help someone who can't be bothered to help themselves.

Except, the forums I found on the new macbooks, and potential macbook updates was not really what I was looking for as an answer. The "official new macbook thread" that I found was the closest I found, and that wasn't really what I wanted. I don't have time to read every post in every single thread in every category on this site, and using the search tool gives results that include ANYTHING that has the words I type in, in it. So, this doesn't really reduce my results by much. I already apologised for being a n00b and not searching a bit more thoroughly, but sometimes I find the correct threads, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I be lazy and don't notice them because I don't have much time. If It's good enough, I'll just say I'll search a little better next time, but I've put well over 20 hours of just straight research on my purchase in January, so excuse me if when I make a new thread once in a while that already exists, and expect that people can't reply with a link to an already existant thread instead of long, drawn out paragraphs about why I need to search harder.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
You're the only one typing long, drawn-out paragraphs. The link I kindly provided for you, which, by the way, is the first one that comes up when you search for new+mackbook, is the latest and greatest. If it doesn't provide you with sufficient info, maybe you need to do more and/or better research.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
You're the only one typing long, drawn-out paragraphs. The link I kindly provided for you, which, by the way, is the first one that comes up when you search for new+mackbook, is the latest and greatest. If it doesn't provide you with sufficient info, maybe you need to do more and/or better research.

I didn't necessarily mean in this thread only.

Okay, you win.

P.S. I didn't even know there was a search option until after I started this thread.

omfintrepid

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
What the hell guys?

Seriously, why are you getting so uppity on this guy. This is a forum and for those who can't be bothered to right click

'forum |ˈfôrəm|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged : it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research.'

A place where views can be exchanged, all this guy did was start a thread to get some input from other people, to generate discussion... this is not a FAQ webpage where you only post if you have searched and a question has not been answered.

There has been no other similar thread on the first page of the most recent posts, if there had been i would understand your problem... but there hasn't.

If we searched for every question this would become a stale reference page and not a community discussion forum.

Give the guy a break....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Usually you want the machine to ship before the OS, since the new retail OS typically only boots machines on sale before the OS hits the shelves.

But you can always call Apple for a set of lost damaged DVDs and get them for a lot less than the full OS anyhow, so not being able to buy the OS off the shelf isn't as big a deal, since the Apple Restore DVDs will have a newer OS version than the retail box.

Powerwing

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
I am running Leopard on the system in my sig, no issues whatsoever. However, I do not run Logic Studio, so I cannot speak to the requirements that it might have. But I have noticed that I can do just as much if not more, with the same amount of RAM in Leopard, so i would assume that if you are content with your system under Tiger, you should be fine with it in Leopard.

I've been in doubt whether to buy a Macbook or a Macbook Pro. I don't really need the Pro but I am considering it because of the Intel GMA950 in the Macbook. I don't think it has what it takes to tackle all the eye candy in Leopard, especially as I will be using the MB(Pro) a lot in extended desktop mode with a 17" TFT monitor (1280x1024). I hear that with Tiger, Dashboard and Exposé performance suffers in extended desktop, even when you have 2Gb of RAM. I'm using a Powermac G4/800 (with 32Mb ATI Radeon 7500) at the moment and I've noticed that in Keynote (iWork 05), I can't use two of the transitions, probably because my videocard doesn't support Core Image (I'm still using Panther though so no way to verify). But it seems that some of the new effects in iMovie 08/iWork 08 don't work on the MAcbook either. Can you provide some feedback on this ? Have you tried running your MAcbook in extended desktop mode in Leopard ? Thanks !

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Update times are getting longer and longer... I suppose the longer a product has been out, Apple will make more money from it. While component costs may fall for Apple in that time, those reductions are not passed on to the consumer - the Mac Pro for instance and almost a year between recent iMac, iPod and Mini updates. I would be VERY surprised to see any new MacBook this year even.

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
don't need the superdrive, but an update to the GMA graphics would be very welcome. It's the one sore spot currently keeping me from buying a macbook. Ofcourse a lowend dedicated ATI chip in there would be even better ;)

Powerwing

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
but an update to the GMA graphics would be very welcome. It's the one sore spot currently keeping me from buying a macbook.

My thoughts exactly !

Anyone care to elaborate on this :

I've been in doubt whether to buy a Macbook or a Macbook Pro. I don't really need the Pro but I am considering it because of the Intel GMA950 in the Macbook. I don't think it has what it takes to tackle all the eye candy in Leopard, especially as I will be using the MB(Pro) a lot in extended desktop mode with a 17" TFT monitor (1280x1024). I hear that with Tiger, Dashboard and Exposé performance suffers in extended desktop, even when you have 2Gb of RAM. I'm using a Powermac G4/800 (with 32Mb ATI Radeon 7500) at the moment and I've noticed that in Keynote (iWork 05), I can't use two of the transitions, probably because my videocard doesn't support Core Image (I'm still using Panther though so no way to verify). But it seems that some of the new effects in iMovie 08/iWork 08 don't work on the MAcbook either. Can you provide some feedback on this ? Have you tried running your MAcbook in extended desktop mode in Leopard ? Thanks !

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I'm still waiting for the 17" to have LED backlit displays, a built in eSATA port, and a Blu Ray/HD DVD drive option on the apple store. A better graphics card couldn't hurt either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.