Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tylerhink93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2021
Uptown, Chicago
I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and/or if this is normal. In addition to having the keyboard backlight issue that appears to be common, where some keys have some light leakage from the bottom in an uneven way, I'm also having an issue where some keys click or sound different when lightly tapped (not pressed) on the top corners. In particular, it's mainly on the spotlight key and the Siri function key. But also have it on the semicolon key and the right option key.

Here is a video demonstrating it:

Most regular letter keys don't have this issue at all. Is this common? Should get it replaced since just purchased a few days ago?

Also, does everyone have that backlight issue too?

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
I just made a post recently in the keyboard thread - I've found the non-alpha keys, and in particular my left shift key, to be rattle-ly like your F4/5. The alpha keys are solid and make a thud. I stopped by an apple store today to check out the display models and found they all did it to some degree, some worse than others.

Reactions: Tylerhink93

Furfural

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
My F2 and Y keys have the same rattle on tap. I don't find it annoying (didn't know it existed until now) but it appears pretty widespread (n=3)?

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I don't think I would have ever noticed such a thing, but just pressed my F4 and it does sound slightly different from other keys on my 16" M1M. Doesn't appear to effect functionality or anything, might also be a thing that dissipates with usage.

Tylerhink93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2021
Uptown, Chicago
My F2 and Y keys have the same rattle on tap. I don't find it annoying (didn't know it existed until now) but it appears pretty widespread (n=3)?
It sounds like it might be wide spread, so I'm unlikely to exchange it then I guess. I'm hoping it's just the new keyboard breaking in and the noise will become uniform with usage.

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Same on my M1 16" I am pretty sure all have this so it's a design "issue" common to the new keyboard on the M1 16" and 14", same thing as the uneven light leak under some of the keys.

Frank7f

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2016
Coming from the other thread which I opened I think 2 days after they first shipped and mine got delivered. I can confirm this is a widespread issue. I too have checked other new MBP at the Apple Store and all seem to have it in one way or another, so decided not to return it for the time being. Will reconsider in the next months depending on how things sort out, and if the issues on my keyboard will get better or worse. At the moment I have these strange sounds on around 10 keys, the worst being on the "E" key.
PS: I took an appointment at the Apple Store to ask if it was a good idea to return it, but the guy was unsatisfactory, also claiming the old MBP butterfly keyboard weren't faulty, but was only people's fault dropping dust on it. After hearing that from him I decided he wouldn't be very helpful with this issues, I hope I'll find more reasonable men next time at the AS.
PS2: I don't think would be a good idea to return it now since the issue is not yet officially recognized by Apple and it is highly probable new Macs would have it too.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I have a mushy backspace key since a couple of days. I'll probably report it to Apple Support soon (no Apple Store near me) but won't be returning it now for it. Before that I had a mushy A key for two days so maybe this one will sort itself out.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
I dropped by the Apple store over lunch to get the issue documented and was interested what they might say about it. I really didn't intend to swap it out but the genius I spoke with said that he hadn't seen that before and agreed while it didn't impact performance it was not acceptable. They swapped it out for a new one and while the non alpha keys still sound different they don't rattle around like my previous one. I have Apple Care+ if that makes a difference. The light bleed under a few keys is still present though, no biggie to me though.

BritC

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
My Mac Book Pro 14" function and option keys failed on me 3 days ago. They were always a bit wobbly, but it didn't really bother me.

Now the key board only types "wingdings". Try depressing function + option at the same time while typing. It's crazy. example: ˚¬˜øø∆˜¬¬˜˜…˜ˆ¨˚ˆø¬˜

Apple refuses to replace, so I'm stuck.

So don't wait past 30days like I did to return.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.