Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Picked up the 12.9” Pro with 512 SSD and the new Magic Keyboard to go with it. I am trying to see if I can use this as a laptop replacement… I am a home user so I am thinking this is doable..

Now to my issue.. The backlighting on the KB only activates when the room is almost pitch black. In the same room and with the same lighting, my MacBook KB always backlights. The Magic KB? Nerp!

Defective, the way it’s suppose to be?

Thanks in advance!

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
The backlighting is adjusted based on the ambient light sensors in the iPad. Since the Magic Keyboard draws it's power from the iPad, my guess is that it is done that way to help conserve power.

Reactions: snfrd84

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
The backlighting is adjusted based on the ambient light sensors in the iPad. Since the Magic Keyboard draws it's power from the iPad, my guess is that it is done that way to help conserve power.
Yeah that’s kind of what I thought.. Bummer as mine does not activate unless the room is almost pitch black. I wish there was an option to toggle it on / off OR use the sensor…

Thanks for the response!

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It can be manually adjusted in settings
Yep, but it doesn’t stay at the level you put it at, keeps adjusting itself depending on your lighting conditions. Wonder if apple will ever release a software update so we can manually adjust it to a fixed brightness.

Apart from that, loving my white magic keyboard, wonder how long it’ll stay clean ?

Only thing I don’t like is the price ?‍♂️

Anyone out there who can’t see the white magic keyboard in person and is thinking of getting one, highly recommend it, one sexy, sleek, elegant keyboard.

772931FE-0087-47BA-BC28-47A79E18650B.jpeg

728B82EC-5AF4-440C-96B7-24C05BA1DD16.jpeg

Reactions: tucogovinda

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
My brightness doesn’t adjust for whatever reason
You must of got a concept model which was meant to be released in the future ?

Love this keyboard but not the battery drain, will do some more testing, if it keeps draining my iPad battery, it’ll be going back unfortunately. ?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Yeah that’s kind of what I thought.. Bummer as mine does not activate unless the room is almost pitch black. I wish there was an option to toggle it on / off OR use the sensor…

Thanks for the response!
I’m assuming you have the white MKB. There are serval threads about this and seems to be exclusively the white version issue. I’m only guessing that the reflection off the white material is affecting the light sensor on the iPad. The black ones do not have this issue. I’ve seen no such posts from those who own the black version and my own works perfectly. It’s possible Apple could issue a software fix that would allow you to select white or black MKB and have the light sensor respond accordingly. I don’t know how difficult that would be so it may be quite a while in coming.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I’m assuming you have the white MKB. There are serval threads about this and seems to be exclusively the white version issue. I’m only guessing that the reflection off the white material is affecting the light sensor on the iPad. The black ones do not have this issue. I’ve seen no such posts from those who own the black version and my own works perfectly. It’s possible Apple could issue a software fix that would allow you to select white or black MKB and have the light sensor respond accordingly. I don’t know how difficult that would be so it may be quite a while in coming.
I do have the white one… As much as I like the white KB, I might have to exchange it for a black one.

CDF03

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2021
I have the same issue with the new white keyboard. The backlighting is also difficult to see in a room with medium lighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.