Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
OK - I'm spooked.

Using OS 10.3.7 and Mail version 1.3.9 on a PowerBook RevB, 1ghz.

My mail POP server is with my ISP and they never give me trouble.

So - been using Mail for some time and today it started doing the wierdest thing. Everytime new mail arrives from the server it will register in my INBOX (with the little number showing new messages) but the instant I click the INBOX, all the new mail disappears. It doesn't go to trash or junk, it just vanishes. I have searched all over for it and can't find it.

It's just gone. I know I received it becasue I can go to the server and collect mail directly from the ISP.

Any ideas. I have repaired permissions and restarted more times than I care to think about.

___
Tried something - I took an email from the trash folder and dropped it into the INBOX. It just goes away. Doesn't open, doesn't stay there - just vanishes.

This is strange - help.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
May not be related, but...

I've had a similar experience on several occasions, most recently today. I have my inbox sorted by date received, with newest mail at the top, but for some reason new mail (received 'Today') will be at the bottom. Mail received 'Yesterday' will be at the top.

My message counter (in the dock icon) will indicate new mail, but when I look for it (at the top of my date-sorted list), it won't be there. I have to scroll down to the bottom of the list, and there, below the oldest of my already-read e-mails, is my new mail.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
sandman42 said:
I've had a similar experience on several occasions, most recently today. I have my inbox sorted by date received, with newest mail at the top, but for some reason new mail (received 'Today') will be at the bottom. Mail received 'Yesterday' will be at the top.

My message counter (in the dock icon) will indicate new mail, but when I look for it (at the top of my date-sorted list), it won't be there. I have to scroll down to the bottom of the list, and there, below the oldest of my already-read e-mails, is my new mail.
I've had the same issue in Mail countless times. I hope this bug is fixed in Tiger. :rolleyes:

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
OldManJimbo said:
So - been using Mail for some time and today it started doing the wierdest thing. Everytime new mail arrives from the server it will register in my INBOX (with the little number showing new messages) but the instant I click the INBOX, all the new mail disappears. It doesn't go to trash or junk, it just vanishes. I have searched all over for it and can't find it.

Try deleting your mail preference file in your home directory. I.e. the "com.apple.mail.plist" file in your /Users/"Home Directory"/Library/Preferences/ folder. Don't worry the file will replace itself. Deleting it just sets the application's preferences back to default. You might need to change your Mail application settings back to the way you want them and this might not solve your problem. I'd say give it a shot though. Deleting preference files seems to always solve problems I have with my applications. :D Remember the greatest risk is not taking one. If you don't compromise one thing you will always compromise another. I think deleting the preference file is the wise choice.

Edit: BTW you might want to check and see if your "INBOX.mbox" file is in the Users/"Home Directory"/Library/Mail/"POP mail"/ folder. If it isn't then this might be why the Mail program is getting rid of your Mail. If this is the case I'd delete the POP account from the Mail application (accessible from the Mail preferences) and then put it on again. If the "INBOX.mbox" file is still missing then get back to me and I'll give you a few more troubleshooting tips.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Deleting the plist did not fix the problem bt deleting the INBOX.mbox did. Unfortunately it also took out all the emails I already had in the INBOX, so i'm glad I just left it on the desktop.

This has been a strange day and it all started when I subscribed to .Mac for the first time.

I wonder if that was just a coincidence.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
OldManJimbo said:
Deleting the plist did not fix the problem bt deleting the INBOX.mbox did. Unfortunately it also took out all the emails I already had in the INBOX, so i'm glad I just left it on the desktop.

Oops... I submitted my edit after your problem was solved. Glad to see everything worked out. It looks like we were thinking the same thing to solve the problem though. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.