Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
Hello folks,

I am looking to purchase a MB and a 23-24" monitor (probably a ACD) to edit and view HD home movies as well as photo editing and web use. Does anybody have a current similar setup....I am wondering if the built in graphics card will be able to handle the HD video well. I am also wondering if the 23" ACD will display the HD without significant bluring. Color accuracy has a higher priority for me (for photo editing) so that's why I would prefer to go IPS on the monitor, but I really want something that will do both well. I am also considering the NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK.

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Bumping is against forum rules....

I wouldn't do video editing - especially HD on ANY laptop. Laptop's mobile chips and systems can't really handle the vast amounts of video data.

We have a middle iMac (the one with 256 Megs VRAM) for Final Cut Express at church. I would think that is a bare minimum... a MBP with the same specs I guess is a minimum.

I recommend, for HD video work, a minimum Intel based Mac with 4 Gigs RAM, and 4 cores...

SD work, a middle iMac would do...

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I have done HD Video editing on my 20" iMac 2.0 GHz with 4 GB of RAM. It works fine. I did a very small test movie on my Macbook and it also worked but not quite as fast.

I agree though. A laptop is not the place for HD Video editing. An actual iMac would serve your better.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I used to do editing including HD using Avid Xpress Pro on our dual-core Vaio SZ regularly, there's nothing wrong with that, it works fine.
Now my new BlackBook is faster so I'm pretty sure it will work even better.

PS: most editing suites offer proxy-editing so target resolution is quite irrelevant until the final export.

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
Thanks for the input. I just did not want to overbuy as I usually do, and since I will my editing is more on the light end, hobby level, I thought I might be able to get away with a MB. My thinking is changing though. I already bought the mid range 2.4 mac book and am also considering buying either a MBP or what the hell, just be done with it and buy the Mac Pro. I like the iMac, but Iam not too crazy about the the glossy screen.

Thanks again folks.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Well, i am using my MB for video editing, it is not the best thing, and if you want to get more out of it get MBP, bescides the resolution will not look too well on a 24 inch. I do sales so i get these kind of things every day, thing is asa the software updates it will take up more resource, as more advanced features are added, so i would sugest to get somthing one step above, or at least an entry level MBP, thats kind of half a step. REason being is you are not buying it for the moment, buy it so it lasts. If you go to new laptop every year or less, go for moment, otherwise if you want to keep the product for longer, i would sugest get a MBP at least, plus the resolution is higher, it will look better on a bigger screen! Just my 0.02$

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I don't get what you guys are trying to get at with the "Don't use Laptops for Video Editing" argument.

If you haven't noticed, the iMac is made completely out of laptop parts.
The processor, Motherboard, etc are all the same.

Unless if your argument is screen size (which is easily fixed with an external screen) I do not see why a Macbook would not be sufficient for HD video editing.

Video editing does not take a toll on GPU's. Unless of course the OP is using Shake, Motion etc, which are more GPU demanding programs, than the iMac or MBP would definitely be better options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.