Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Hi all,

I've had my new MBA for about a week now (i3, 8GB, 256GB, etc.). And this morning I noticed (guess it was yesterday morning its past midnight here) that my battery was discharging yet my Mac was plugged in. I removed my USB-C Hub (has 3 USB-A ports and an Ethernet port) and tried a different port. Nothing. The battery was still discharging and it said plugged in.

I restarted the computer, no change.

I shutdown, held down the power button for 10 seconds, waited about 5 seconds then powered it back on. Everything is back to normal.

I find it odd I've already had to reset the SMC. Is this normal on a new machine like this? I wonder if it could be Trend Micro causing some glitchy behavior. I actually don't know what AV solution would be best to use on Mac. Typically, I wouldn't have installed it, but I do have a lot of Windows files I transfer back and forth from different cloud services (word documents mainly).

Anyways, let me know if I need to watch for anything else.

Thanks!

EDIT: SEE POST #8 FOR SETTINGS SCREENSHOT. POST 6 IDENTIFIED IT.

Last edited:

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
It's supposed to slightly discharge while plugged in. That's the battery health management feature built into Catalina 15.5. I think you can turn it off, however. Go to: System Preferences | Energy Saver | Battery | Battery Health.

Last edited:
Reactions: slooksterPSV

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Ive had some weird quirks now and then with my 9,1 i5/8/512. Not a big deal but had to force restart after a few freezes. .5 seemed to fix a lot of it.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
It's supposed to slightly discharge while plugged in. That's the battery health management feature built into Catalina 15.5. I think you can turn it off, however. Go to: System Preferences | Energy Saver | Battery | Battery Health.

That makes sense. Thank you.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ive had some weird quirks now and then with my 9,1 i5/8/512. Not a big deal but had to force restart after a few freezes. .5 seemed to fix a lot of it.

I had mine freeze when waking up but it was working on an iMovie I quickly threw together of photos of my nephew. I couldn’t close iMovie. Probably was the tweens and well... it only chose slide up and slide down on the photos :-/. Was hoping it would do more fades and that. Beside the point. 210 pictures and movies growing up too quick and yeah froze for like 30 seconds from wake.

sammjordan

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
Hi all,

I've had my new MBA for about a week now (i3, 8GB, 256GB, etc.). And this morning I noticed (guess it was yesterday morning its past midnight here) that my battery was discharging yet my Mac was plugged in. I removed my USB-C Hub (has 3 USB-A ports and an Ethernet port) and tried a different port. Nothing. The battery was still discharging and it said plugged in.

I restarted the computer, no change.

I shutdown, held down the power button for 10 seconds, waited about 5 seconds then powered it back on. Everything is back to normal.

I find it odd I've already had to reset the SMC. Is this normal on a new machine like this? I wonder if it could be Trend Micro causing some glitchy behavior. I actually don't know what AV solution would be best to use on Mac. Typically, I wouldn't have installed it, but I do have a lot of Windows files I transfer back and forth from different cloud services (word documents mainly).

Anyways, let me know if I need to watch for anything else.

Thanks!

I wonder if that was the battery health feature Apple introduced in the last macOS update? I've noticed a similar issue with mine, and if I go into settings and turn it off it starts charging again

Reactions: slooksterPSV

scooterspud

macrumors member
May 30, 2003
I think there is a bug in Catalina related to 3rd party hardware items used while charging. I bought a MagSafe-type add-on, and after using it for a while, I noticed a weird thing happening - when the power cord was unplugged, it would not draw power if plugged back in again to the same outlet. If I plug into another outlet, it works fine!

I've tried resetting the SMC, zapping NPRAM, it's still the same. And the strangest thing is, the problem persists even AFTER I stopped using the MagSafe-type adapter!

I'm hoping/assuming this is another bug in Catalina - .5 made things better, but there are still many bugs to squash, at least when it comes to the MBA. In fact, Catalina is the buggiest Mac OS I can remember. Can't wait to give Big Sur a shot.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Just in case anyone is wondering what is being referenced, its this:
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.44.30 PM.png

That is the resolution. So yes it does discharge to ensure that the battery doesn't sit and become stale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.