Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
I just unboxed my MBP 16, with M2 Max. Bought for work, I do coding and 3d modeling. There ar scratches between the monitor and the keyboard, in the center and the right.
They are clearly visible, although depending on the light they are less visible.

I tried wiping with microfiber, with water and paper, nothing helps.

Does anybody know how to make them go away? Should I return it? I realized they were there after I installed a bunch of things, so I would not like to set up a new mac unless it's a must. Also, if I return it I would have to wait before finding another one specced in this way (Max 2TB, 64Gb).

I am not OCD but I am concerned about resale value.

Please advise!

1694823368808.png

1694823344623.png

1694823314914.png

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Seriously how much will it hurt resale value? That speced out you plan to keep it a few years. Someone who subsequently wants it wants it for the relatively rare config. The scratches will mean nothing to resale. But okay maybe someone will argue you out for $50. Is it worth the bother now?

But if you aren’t being sincere, and the scratches bother you, yep that’s worth returning

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Forget resale value, that's some quite visible damage out of the box. There is no way to remove those marks and restore the aluminium finish to its original state. I know it is a pain in the neck to wait for another BTO machine, but I would return.

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Seriously how much will it hurt resale value? That speced out you plan to keep it a few years. Someone who subsequently wants it wants it for the relatively rare config. The scratches will mean nothing to resale. But okay maybe someone will argue you out for $50. Is it worth the bother now?

But if you aren’t being sincere, and the scratches bother you, yep that’s worth returning
Honestly, 50$ it's not worth my time returning in it and setting up a new one. If I value my time 50$/h or more, which I do. It is a bit disappointing from Apple and I hope everyone else check their new mbps in the future.

The funny thing is that these scratches are invisible in natural light, and glaring at night with artificial lights. It's weird!! Is it something during the anodization or the machining?

So yes, I'm sincere, and assuming the resale value loss is truly 50$, I'll slap a dbrand skin on it so I don't see it and protect the rest, then call it a day.

Thank you!

Reactions: G5isAlive

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
Honestly, 50$ it's not worth my time returning in it and setting up a new one. If I value my time 50$/h or more, which I do. It is a bit disappointing from Apple and I hope everyone else check their new mbps in the future.

The funny thing is that these scratches are invisible in natural light, and glaring at night with artificial lights. It's weird!! Is it something during the anodization or the machining?

So yes, I'm sincere, and assuming the resale value loss is truly 50$, I'll slap a dbrand skin on it so I don't see it and protect the rest, then call it a day.

Thank you!
Why it may only result in $50 to a Craiglist buyer, it will cost you several hundred if you attempt to trade it in at Apple or one of the on-line computer buyers’. I traded in to Apple a pristine 2016 MBP15 for a new 2021 MBP16. I am pretty certain they just tossed it out. Return your new Apple and get a new one. That should have never left the factory.

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Why it may only result in $50 to a Craiglist buyer, it will cost you several hundred if you attempt to trade it in at Apple or one of the on-line computer buyers’. I traded in to Apple a pristine 2016 MBP15 for a new 2021 MBP16. I am pretty certain they just tossed it out. Return your new Apple and get a new one. That should have never left the factory.
I do plan to trade it in with apple in a few years, because of the convenience. This was already a trade-in, which makes it more inconvenient to return I guess. Now you made me second-guess my choices!

EDIT: I thought Apple was less picky with cosmetic damage for trade-ins. However, I never sent back an imperfect laptop to Apple, because I'm usually good at preserving things well.

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
You got someone's return or something, that's not normal. I'd return it.
I thought of that. The packaging was flawless, but I found a few specs around the edges of the Macbook Pro. They were stuck to the sides, really small. A brown thing, almost like clay. It was confusing, I thought it was manufacturing residue. The battery life is at 100% though.

I want to clarify, I'm not OCD at all, so here is my reasoning: I'm paid 50$/h (which is not much at all for a coder in NYC), and if it takes 4 hours to exchange it and set it up, it should be worth 200$ of my time. Is that cosmetic damage worth 200$?

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
I thought of that. The packaging was flawless, but I found a few specs around the edges of the Macbook Pro. They were stuck to the sides, really small. A brown thing, almost like clay. It was confusing, I thought it was manufacturing residue. The battery life is at 100% though.

I want to clarify, I'm not OCD at all, so here is my reasoning: I'm paid 50$/h (which is not much at all for a coder in NYC), and if it takes 4 hours to exchange it and set it up, it should be worth 200$ of my time. Is that cosmetic damage worth 200$?
I think I'm already at 1-2 hours of sunken costs thinking about this and posting here.

• Haha

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

You can't go by battery life, that isn't accurate. Those numbers are estimated.

bryo

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2021
Those almost look like stress marks on the aluminum. That’s really weird to see out of the box.

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
They are weird, and can be visible only when light comes from the side or certain directions. Sometimes they become totally invisible, some other times they are very visible. I'm not familiar with the MBP manufacturing process, I wonder what happened.
I chose to keep it, because the return process would waste more of my time to justify even a 400$ difference. I already have set up my dev env and all credentials on this one, and it works great.

I found this:
1694961716095.png

ryguyMN

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2023
Another vote for returning the laptop. That's too much damage for me to pay full price on.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Return it. or in a week you can't even concentrate in your job because of these scratches.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I would return it. But, as you point out it is a set-up machine.

However, Apple makes it really easy to move your setup from Machine A to Machine B. I just did this earlier this year while upgrading from a Mac Mini M1 to a Studio. Took an hour or so, I think. I went down and watched TV and it was done when came back.

newmacxc

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2022

Sometimes residues do leave the factory its not uncommon.

Thats for you to decide if that cosmetic damage is. worth $ 200.

Btw do you work on weekends too ?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005

Thank you!
Here's what you can do—Call Apple and explain the situation but that you can't be without a Mac. Ask them to extend the return window on this Mac (eg. 4 weeks) while you wait for the second Mac. You will need to purchase the second Mac (ie put it on a CC) but of course you'll get refunded when this is all done. Voila! Now you get the Mac you want and don't need to be without a computer during shipping.

I did this last year, and Apple customer service was happy to extend my return window as long as I reasonably wanted. People do this all the time. Making chit chat, the rep said she was grateful I purchased the Mac with AppleCare+ because apparently that gives them extra control in the system without needing to involve a manager (or something to that affect). They just extended it and the call took no longer than 30 minutes.

EDIT: By the way, the 16-inch MBP with 64/2TB is available in-store today in 8 out of my nearest 10 stores. You might want to check your area, as you could maybe resolve this the next time you feel like visiting the Apple Store.

aleksf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
This was my solution. Thank you everybody, you made valid points, but I will trade it in in a few years, and Apple will not care about those scratches. I don't have 10/12 extra hours to return it and set up a new one for dev and production again.

Attachments

• ComputerWithStickers.jpg
    ComputerWithStickers.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 65

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Return it. You paid an extortionately high price for it, so you deserve a flawless product. Don't listen to the Apple sympathizers on this forum who think of Apple as a small-time mom-and-pops charity that is struggling to keep their doors open. Tim Cook is a greedy corporate scumbag who does not give a damn about any of his customers, and is mainly concerned about maximizing profits so him and his beloved shareholders can get even more morbidly rich. Don't feel sorry if a trillion dollar corporation loses a minuscule amount of pocket change if you return and exchange your laptop for a new one.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.