Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I use Migration Assistant for anything if I'm mostly starting fresh on a new Mac?

• No, you're fine. So fresh and so clean clean!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, use it for ______

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Finally pulled the trigger on a 16" MBP to replace my trusty (but aging 2014 model). I haven't updated machines in a while and I'm trying to remember any true benefits from using Migration Assistant, and if it would even be worth it in my case.

I'm a big fan of starting FRESH. I look at my current MBP and I see years of add-ons, extensions, plugins and files that I have no desire to port over. I'm not even sure what's under the hood anymore and there could be a lot of 32-bit crap leftover from back in the day (it came with Mavericks). Software-wise, I'm definitely a proponent of new, clean installs. The Adobe suite, Resolve, Office 365, Slack, Steam –– everything can be reinstalled with little trouble, and can be relicensed on the new machine easily. And as far as personal info, a lot of that is in the cloud now so when I sign in to iCloud I'll get all that to populate, including my Photos library. Music can be copied over any time between libraries. Work files and Dropbox are easy to copy. Email might be the one that's tricky, though all of my accounts are IMAP so those mailboxes will rebuild and only local files will be missing (but I can export MBOX files and import them). No big system mods I need to bring across (especially because it's Catalina vs Mojave).

Am I missing anything else? I just don't see the need to use the Migration Assistant, especially if I'm using this as an opportunity for Spring cleaning :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.