Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Unfortunately I've not been able to watch the keynote or any developer sessions yet, but in any case I couldn't find any discussion of this new feature, as Siri Shortcuts has grabbed most of the headlines. So thought it might be worth a thread.

If you remember, iOS 10 allowed third party apps to integrate with Siri under a few limited domains: ride booking, messaging, photo search, payments, VoIP calling, and workouts.

Well it looks like iOS 12 adds a new media intent. I'm hoping this means apps like Spotify will be able to respond to requests like 'Play The Beatles on Spotify'.

The Shortcuts stuff is a great way to handle predetermined actions but I don't think that framework is able to process dynamic and natural language requests like the above (where the artists / song etc. will vary a lot and people might say it in slightly different ways) so this would be a really welcome addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: profets

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I plan on watching the overview session on Siri shortcuts tonight. Hoping they address this stuff.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I plan on watching the overview session on Siri shortcuts tonight. Hoping they address this stuff.
Hmm, they only dedicated a few minutes to it right at the end and I’m not much clearer on it tbh. They didn’t run through any real examples with a demo app. I now think this is just there to support background launching of audio via shortcuts (whereas most apps have to actually open on screen). Also things like suggesting shortcuts for new media you haven’t listened/watched yet, which appear in spotlight etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.