Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
A few times recently, I’ve played music through my iPhone, and it has blared out at top volume (I always keep it low). The reason, I deduced, is because I had put my phone’s case on or taken it off shortly before that; and when the case rubbed against the “volume up” button, with the screen off (and no media playing), the volume increased. (I have the volume buttons set to change the media volume, not Ringer & Alerts.)

Experimenting further, I find that triggering the volume button (up or down), with the screen off and the phone silent, does indeed change the media volume (for the next time media is played). While I can’t be certain, I would swear it never did this in the past… at least, I never had this issue after removing or applying the case in the past (I do this somewhat often).

Am I crazy, or is this new – being able (unfortunately) to increase/decrease the media volume with the screen off, and with nothing playing? I thought it previously only worked with the screen on; or with the screen off, and with media playing. Thx

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.