Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hi,

just found these forums when I was searching google looking for, what else.. Parts.

I was looking for a network adapter for my LC (yup just plain LC) to comlete the restoration of that old pizzabox, and google brought me to this website. I am shocked and impressed by the quality information, and collections people have here. Having used Apple computers ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted one. I started buying them from friends, and on Ebay.

My collection first started with a gift of an old Macintosh SE. The coupter was owned by one of my customers (I was and still am in IT). It came with software disks, a OEM MAC bag, keyboard, and the SE itself had an internal hard drive with lots (for the size of the drive) of sotfware.

Anyway, here is my (verry small) collection of "Low End" Macintosh computers I have collected since then.

Collection (In order of purchase, or recieved)
1. Macintosh SE
2. Macintosh Quadra 840av (Currently online as a play web server and my favorite Macintosh ever)
3. Macintosh 6300cd
4. Macintosh LC
5. Macintosh 6500/275
6. Macintosh LC 575 (Currently on loan to my friends kids (hey it was built for that))
7. Macintosh 512k

I haven't purchased a MAC for years, but I am about to start up again. Ebay has been looking good recently, and I have also found a local shop that from time to time has used older Macintosh computers.

I will post up pictures of my collection at some point, and also some video clips captured with my 840. I am currently working on a G3 upgrade to mym 6500, so after that is complete, I can even post up clips taken with that computer..

Best regards,

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Welcome to the board :)

There aren't many collectors that hang out here, but the ones that do really know their stuff.

Glad you like the 840av. I have one back home in the States, and it is one of my favorite Macs, too.

You have mostly 68ks, have you tried the Mac 68k Liberation Army forums? They're not very active, but a lot of old school folks there.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
5300cs said:
Welcome to the board :)

There aren't many collectors that hang out here, but the ones that do really know their stuff.

Glad you like the 840av. I have one back home in the States, and it is one of my favorite Macs, too.

You have mostly 68ks, have you tried the Mac 68k Liberation Army forums? They're not very active, but a lot of old school folks there.

Thanks I checked it out.. The forums are slow over there.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Why did I bring back my FIRST thread ever on Macrumors ?

Simple! I just added to my collection, and have more updates :)

Computers owned since my first post
1. Macintosh SE
2. Macintosh Quadra 840av (Currently online as a play web server and my favorite Macintosh ever)
3. Macintosh 6300cd
4. Macintosh LC
5. Macintosh 6500/275
6. Macintosh LC 575 (Currently on loan to my friends kids (hey it was built for that))
7. Macintosh 512k

New since this post

8. Power Macintosh G3 B&W
9. Performa 6220cd (with TV Tuner)
10. Power Macintosh G4 Quicksilver / Digital Audio Dual 533 (Digital Audio Mobo in Quicksilver case)
11. Powermacintosh G5 Dual 2.0 (First Brand new Macintosh for myself :) )
12. iBook G3 600 MHZ (pieced together with ebay parts and supplies)

As you can tell, my addiction is still strong, and I am still on Macrumors :)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
840quadra said:
New since this post

8. Power Macintosh G3 B&W
9. Performa 6220cd (with TV Tuner)
10. Power Macintosh G4 Quicksilver / Digital Audio Dual 533 (Digital Audio Mobo in Quicksilver case)
11. Powermacintosh G5 Dual 2.0 (First Brand new Macintosh for myself :) )
12. iBook G3 600 MHZ (pieced together with ebay parts and supplies)

Those are all nice machines. Personally I'm a sucker for the original white iBooks.

When I was back in Boston last week I got to use my old 500Mhz one. Unfortunately it needs a DC-in board replacement, new AC adapter, new battery and new optical drive. An Apple Genius told me it'd be around $550 to get it all fixed !! :eek: :eek: Until I can figure out what to do with it, it's going to RIP. :(

How's the Quick Silver? Is that one of the wind tunnel ones?

And you can't go wrong with a B&W ;) My boss gave me his old one ...

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
It seems collections grow in spurts.

I really cranked up the volume on my collecting this summer, for two reasons.

1) Broken classic macs were dirt cheap on eBay, all summer long. Including Lisas that went as low as $60.
:D
2) I have a friend that does board level repairs on the analog video boards. So far he has replaced a bunch of flyback transformers for me. He's curently repairing a very tough Apple Lisa problem. (Lisas become very tough when the parts (PS and logic boards / memory / I|O) that swap out in seconds, aren't the problem!)

He told me the reason why they call them fly backs was because if you touch them in the wrong way, you'll fly back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.