Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfernley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm new and was looking to get a Mac Mini. I was curious when the new versions are coming out - perhaps with the i3, i% and i7?

Thanks!

wfernley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find anything on the June 8th release date. Do you have a link?

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
depends on how much stuff is in stock.. and yea i know the C2Ds benchmark better for a few things, but the shift to i3 is inevitable.

I highly doubt Intel is running low on Core 2 Duo chips. The only time Apple will switch to i3 in the Mini, MacBook and 13" MBP will be when Sandy Bridge is out next year.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
yup ok id agree with that. another question, low end C2D MM, then higher end i3 MM ;)

Not gonna happen, Apple would have to find another GPU to shove in the Mini that isn't integrated. Why bother when there will be zero performance gains?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
depends on how much stuff is in stock.. and yea i know the C2Ds benchmark better for a few things, but the shift to i3 is inevitable.

i3 would require a dedicated GPU plus i3 is barely an upgrade due lack of Turbo. Mini has followed the MacBook in the near past

I highly doubt Intel is running low on Core 2 Duo chips. The only time Apple will switch to i3 in the Mini, MacBook and 13" MBP will be when Sandy Bridge is out next year.

I'm sure Intel has hundreds of warehouses full of C2Ds.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
whats wrong with the 4500HD? ;) its only a mac mini...

What's wrong with C2D then? :confused: Apple could use a low-end dedicated e.g. ATI 5450 or nVidia 305M but due their laziness of writing drivers and supporting multiple GPUs, I doubt it

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
maybe :p i am considering buying a G4 MM. ;)

i guess not though - but apple would use the 320M of course. thats a given. they already have the drivers written lol!

320M can't be used with iX CPU.... It's integrated and due Nehalem design, other than Intel IGPs can't be used as they use RAM and Nehalem has built-in mem controller which don't share the RAM to other IGPs

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
hahaha could be a little while away :p but apple has changed the low end MBs! so you never know!

now the real question: i3, or C2D?

No question at all. C2D for at least another year +

The mini will (eventually) track the MB spec wise; that's how Apple rolls...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
320M can't be used with iX CPU.... It's integrated and due Nehalem design, other than Intel IGPs can't be used as they use RAM and Nehalem has built-in mem controller which don't share the RAM to other IGPs
fine fine 330M then ;)

not that mac mini users would be after gaming performance anyway..

No question at all. C2D for at least another year +

The mini will (eventually) track the MB spec wise; that's how Apple rolls...
indeed. thats why i initially stated that it wont happen for quite some time yet

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
i3 would require a dedicated GPU plus i3 is barely an upgrade due lack of Turbo. Mini has followed the MacBook in the near past

I'm sure Intel has hundreds of warehouses full of C2Ds.

Yeah, I'm confident the next Mini update will mirror the Macbook. The Macbook update makes me think it might not be long before the update. Well, that and the fact I recently bought the current model. :)

I think it will probably be a silent update like the Macbook, though.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yeah, I'm confident the next Mini update will mirror the Macbook. The Macbook update makes me think it might not be long before the update. Well, that and the fact I recently bought the current model. :)

I think it will probably be a silent update like the Macbook, though.

Yea, that's what I think too. Here is Mac Mini predictions thread and my guess of the specs (the #2 post)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The mini seems to be similar to the Apple TV but not as bad. It is rarely upgraded and when it is the specs are so minimal that it makes for a yawnfest. As an owner I'm ok with this in a way, I intended to keep my Mini until it couldn't perform how I needed it to perform as an HTPC.

To the kid that said June 8th, there is nothing supporting this so it's just verbal caca if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.