Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
have a little issue with my new MP 5.1 i just got.

2012 MP 5.1 came with ATI card, 16GB RAM,

After i received it it booted with H-Sierra SSD sata and it booted and ran.
I did try adding additional ram, but after poweron the power light would just flash over and over, since i have removed the extra RAM.
The ram i added was from another MP - and it may have been bad Ram, Not Sure.

I updated the Boot Rom to 144 by running "Install OS Mojave" using a HD 7950

i was able to install 12.6 to a NvMe SSD w/ OCLP & AMD RX 6600, and it booted and run great.

PROBLEM
Then i made the mistake of doing a Data Migration, after the Migration the system would not boot. so i decided to do a complete reinstall to NvMe - 11% remaining for the re-install and the screen blanked and the system has not recovered since.
Now there is power on / no chime / tried booting with a Flash Drive OC / H-Sierra / no booting
The system runs with a blank screen for about 3 minutes , then turns off. I have not been able to boot normally since, no picker, no recovery.

Battery might be an issue ? i have changed the battery , getting the same results

calling tsialex your advise

i have removed all disks, changed the Vcard to ATI 7xxxx , i get a white screen with a flashing "?" mark.
no boot chime

Last edited:

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
have a little issue with my new MP 5.1 i just got.

2012 MP 5.1 came with ATI card, 16GB RAM,

After i received it it booted with H-Sierra SSD sata and it booted and ran.
I did try adding additional ram, but after poweron the power light would just flash over and over, since i have removed the extra RAM.
The ram i added was from another MP - and it may have been bad Ram, Not Sure.

I updated the Boot Rom to 144 by running "Install OS Mojave" using a HD 7950

i was able to install 12.6 to a NvMe SSD w/ OCLP & AMD RX 6600, and it booted and run great.

PROBLEM
Then i made the mistake of doing a Data Migration, after the Migration the system would not boot. so i decided to do a complete reinstall to NvMe - 11% remaining for the re-install and the screen blanked and the system has not recovered since.
Now there is power on / no chime / tried booting with a Flash Drive OC / H-Sierra / no booting
The system runs with a blank screen for about 3 minutes , then turns off. I have not been able to boot normally since, no picker, no recovery.

Battery might be an issue ? i have changed the battery , getting the same results

calling tsialex your advise

i have removed all disks, changed the Vcard to ATI 7xxxx , i get a white screen with a flashing "?" mark.
no boot chime
this post is in the wrong area, i have made a new post to MP 5.1
Sorry for the mix up.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.