Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Look, the Kindle Fire HD blows both of them away in quality. It sounds GREAT, and the screen is great. It feels great too. But at the end of the day, it's still Android. The Nexus 7 is still an Android device.

It's not about how GOOD it looks and sounds, it's about how WELL it works for the user. Android as a tablet still falls WAY behind. Even Windows 8 makes a better "tablet" than the Nexus 7. :rolleyes:

I don't understand comments like this. I replaced my iPad with a Nexus 7 a few months ago and have been very happy since. The Nexus 7 is a far superior tablet to the iPad IMO.

More to the point, Kindle Fires are complete crap, why you think they're better than the Nexus 7 is the real mystery here :confused:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not going to lie, the N7 2013 looks like a winner; great specs for only a $229 device. But, I'm keeping my Mini, which I NEVER use, lol. I always pick up my phone before it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Coming from a user of both and an owner of a Nexus 7, I'd still rather have an iPad Mini. The Nexus 7 is a good tablet, but Android doesn't run as smoothly on it. Hell, iOS ran better on my first gen iPad than Android does on my Nexus 7, which is about 4 years newer. Screen quality is important yet, but when the device is somewhat sluggish, you don't care how nice the screen is.

What one prefers doesn't make the Mini a better device overall than the N7 except for those people I suppose. The n7 gets the nod for tablet ratings amongst small devices every place I've seen.

The Mini is half baked, plain and simple especially considering the n7 price point. Does not mean it cannot be utilized and well liked by folks since it obviously has a large following.

Restore the N7, you will sing a different tune about it being sluggish though.

----------

I don't understand comments like this. I replaced my iPad with a Nexus 7 a few months ago and have been very happy since. The Nexus 7 is a far superior tablet to the iPad IMO.

More to the point, Kindle Fires are complete crap, why you think they're better than the Nexus 7 is the real mystery here :confused:

Color me confused as well. The n7 easily gets the nod for smallish tablets everywhere I've seen. Maybe rooted the KFHD moves up a notch in ratings but it still cannot hold up nor does the Mini for that matter versus the n7.

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
My old iPad1 is due a change soon so I will be in the market for a new tablet.

My obvious choices will be between the iPad mini and the Nexus7. I know IOS and I know Android (Samsung phone). Both tablets will do what I need so I have to choose which to buy.

Since the Mini is about twice the price of the Nexus, it should be twice as good. It's not. So my personal choice will be the Nexus.

I am not saying that the iPad Mini is bad, what I am saying is that it is not worth spending the extra money for no real advantage. In the same way that I drive an old Ford rather than a Rolls Royce, both get me from A to B, but I didn't have to sell my soul to the devil to buy the Ford.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
My old iPad1 is due a change soon so I will be in the market for a new tablet.

My obvious choices will be between the iPad mini and the Nexus7. I know IOS and I know Android (Samsung phone). Both tablets will do what I need so I have to choose which to buy.

Since the Mini is about twice the price of the Nexus, it should be twice as good. It's not. So my personal choice will be the Nexus.

I am not saying that the iPad Mini is bad, what I am saying is that it is not worth spending the extra money for no real advantage. In the same way that I drive an old Ford rather than a Rolls Royce, both get me from A to B, but I didn't have to sell my soul to the devil to buy the Ford.

I replaced my first gen iPad with a Nexus 7 a few months ago and I love it. I used my friend's iPad mini and it feels more "premium" but the screen looks crappy compared to my N7 (lower PPI, not even 720p or "retina"), it's just a little too big to be as convenient as the N7, and in all honesty I just prefer to Android to iOS these days.

With the new Nexus 7 being even better than the OG one I have, and with it being newer than the iPad mini, and still a lot cheaper, there's really no contest. I really don't think you'll regret getting it.

The only real downside is the lack of tablet optimised apps. That is an issue with Android. However, on a 7 inch screen, that rarely impacts usability and isn't even too annoying IMO. On a Nexus 10 it'd piss me off, but on a Nexus 7 I rarely even stop to think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.