Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashback

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
London
So something I haven’t seen people talk about is that the new notch is way worse by the fact it’s deeper and actually eats into the display space. Watching the same YouTube videos on a phone with the old notch was never a problem.
4C4F6E67-79DB-49B8-A3E1-A069428A7C11.jpeg

Reactions: mrex and xenoako

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Are you saying that the new notch goes lower into the screen, further into the screen, even though it takes up less space on the sides?

like it traded space in one direction for space in the other?

I have never had an iPhone with a notch, and hope I don’t find it too annoying. I figure Video is typically less narrow so won’t be cut off (unless maybe some video programs can display content which is wider than 16:9 with smaller or no letterboxing, in which case it matters?)

I wonder if it would make more sense to have a notchless phone that’s just a few mm taller for the sensor?

Kashback

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
London
Are you saying that the new notch goes lower into the screen, further into the screen, even though it takes up less space on the sides?

like it traded space in one direction for space in the other?

I have never had an iPhone with a notch, and hope I don’t find it too annoying. I figure Video is typically less narrow so won’t be cut off (unless maybe some video programs can display content which is wider than 16:9 with smaller or no letterboxing, in which case it matters?)

I wonder if it would make more sense to have a notchless phone that’s just a few mm taller for the sensor?
Correct, notch drops down further into the display, only a little, 1mm perhaps? But its enough to be visible when watching 16:9 content.

Reactions: KurtWilde

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
So something I haven’t seen people talk about is that the new notch is way worse by the fact it’s deeper and actually eats into the display space. Watching the same YouTube videos on a phone with the old notch was never a problem. View attachment 1849661
Seems like a personally preference really. If the notch bothers you, get a different phone. Old or new notch, it's how the display is. The way you watch, seems to be cropped. Not sure why

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I’m one that also hates the new notch. I like the old one more grrrrr. The game I use to play, it has a menu which I can use with the old notch. With the new, it’s blocked by the notch.

On another note, why does Mac rumors site still heat up the iPhone? My 11 pro had it and now my mini 13

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Get some glasses. You cannot be without seeing the notch.
I didn’t notice it on the X or on the 13. It just disappears for me. If I need it for a movie I’m usually watching the center of the screen, rarely is the edge even a focal point for me.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Like others I rarely actually look at the top part of a screen, once software has been updated the new notch won’t interfere with any videos etc. I do think it was a pointless exercise though if Apple aren’t at least going to do anything with the extra screen space like a battery percentage for instance.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My 13 Pro Max is the first iPhone I have owed that has the notch. I know it is there but it does not detract from the user experience for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.