Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12aabdelaal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Hi guys, do any of you have El Capitan and have used both Evernote and the new Notes app? If so please can you comment about the differences such as productivity, ease of use and if lag is an issue? Thanks
(My first post)

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
as a long time evernote user, so much of my life is in there. So far I don't see anything compelling yet to even get me to open up the new notes app.... let alone switch.

<rant>
This situation reminds me of ichat. I never liked it. Instead I used adium as it supported multiple chat services and you could reskin it to have a much smaller visual presence on the display. iMessage integration with the phone and iPad was the killer feature that made leaving adium worth it.

apple tends to release things in stepped feature sets. Often times the initial release of software or hardware isn't the best implementation, but the starting point. It is the second or third generation that raises some eyebrows and challenges the status quo. Don't get me wrong notes will soon give evernote a run for its money. But as of now there are too many things that notes isn't even competitive about at all.

That said, for many people, it being a huge improvement over the old notes app is good enough.
</rant>

darnovo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Just watching the demo I thought it was neat that I could drag Tweets, Photos, Links etc... right into the notes app and it would just import clean and well spaced etc... I don't know if you can do tables like you do in Evernote which is a huge plus. I am not a long time user of either and I am trying to decide which I will be using as my only notes app when it comes out. I would like some more thoughts on this matter.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Can you drive PDFs into the new notes? It looks like you can feel to notes by documents on El Capitan. Tracking documents into notes is a big feature of Evernote

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
the other thing that I love about evernote, if you put a picture of something with words on it, evernote will make the words searchable.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
don't get me wrong, I think that the native evernote app is so much better then using evernote's website... and that is going to be true of any iCloud app vs the website. But web access is better then no access on a different platform.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, can't see me using a web app full time. Anyway, not seen anything that makes me want to move from Evernote or Onenote but will have more of a play.

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love the Notebook concept in Evernote so if Notes ever has something similar, I would love to be able to stop using Evernote. Notebook sharing has become quite crucial for my work so that is another feature I would require from Notes.

Reactions: unobtainium

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Evernote has all of those browser extensions, a unique email address so you can forward emails right into Evernote, a service so you can print PDFs into Evernote, etc I think it will be very hard for Apple to catch up without a compelling feature set

ortutt

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Do any of you know what is are the search options in the new Notes.app? I mean, can you search for all notes with unchecked to-dos, as in evernote? because with the new features, this is the only thing that will keep me with evernote right now. I absolutely hate the UI of the Mac app...

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
This appears to be a comparison of different apps that happen to be in a similar category. Evernote is Photoshop, while Notes is the image markup extension in Mail app.

For most users, Notes is going to be more than enough. For those who need more, there's Evernote.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Features i'd like to see in notes
  • Password protected notes / encryption like evernote (Apple could use touch ID to open notes)
  • versioning
  • share sheet paste options for either paste content or link
  • custom backgrounds
  • OCR
  • Geolocation of where note was taken in a map view like evernote
  • OS X - a way to backup all your notes back exporting them into a zip of PDFs
  • Sharing notes with others to collaboratively work on (Pages works, but having this in note would be neat)
  • Ability to copy in formatted tables - any basic tabling feature!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gpulvi

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
as a long time evernote user, so much of my life is in there. So far I don't see anything compelling yet to even get me to open up the new notes app.... let alone switch.

<rant>
This situation reminds me of ichat. I never liked it. Instead I used adium as it supported multiple chat services and you could reskin it to have a much smaller visual presence on the display. iMessage integration with the phone and iPad was the killer feature that made leaving adium worth it.

apple tends to release things in stepped feature sets. Often times the initial release of software or hardware isn't the best implementation, but the starting point. It is the second or third generation that raises some eyebrows and challenges the status quo. Don't get me wrong notes will soon give evernote a run for its money. But as of now there are too many things that notes isn't even competitive about at all.

That said, for many people, it being a huge improvement over the old notes app is good enough.
</rant>

iChat supports multiple chat services, some built in and more with plugins. In fact the messages app, which is still iChat underneath, still supports this.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Another notes question for those lucky enough to be on iOS9/10.11; can you copy in tables from numbers? how do they look? Thanks!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Another notes question for those lucky enough to be on iOS9/10.11; can you copy in tables from numbers? how do they look? Thanks!
Notes will paste Numbers table as tab delimited text with all the formatting stripped off.

Reactions: TwoBytes

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hi guys, do any of you have El Capitan and have used both Evernote and the new Notes app? If so please can you comment about the differences such as productivity, ease of use and if lag is an issue? Thanks
(My first post)

Notes - a simple note taking app, you can add pictures and draw (not in this beta, but coming), it's nice and minimal, great for some people. Takes up your iCloud space.
Evernote - does everything Notes does and a lot more, adds all kinds of attachments, OCR scan images automatically, reminders. 60Mb per month free, 1Gb per month with Plus and unlimited space with Premium.

For me, I'm a long time Evernote Premium user and I'm not moving. With that said, I'm actually using Notes for some of the less important, quick notes. Because why not? :)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
When it comes to note taking with rich formatting alone, I think Notes will probably be decent. Evernote, however, is more than just for notes. You can quickly save web articles, PDF files, and other pieces of data. There are good organisation options like notebooks and tags and the browser plugin makes it very easy to collect stuff on the spot. I don't think that Notes will be a replacement for that, but I have to see how it goes.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Notes will paste Numbers table as tab delimited text with all the formatting stripped off.

Thanks for letting us know!

A real shame. I've put this in the bug report as i'd like to see tables preserved in notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.