Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhansen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I´m sorry if i bring this thread up again.

But is there any reason to pay the extra bucks for a new mini, when it is only going to be used as a Music database and HD movie database??

Im not going to work with photoshop or play games on it!

Buy the old one for 2/3 of the price of the new one? Or would i gain anything with the new?

Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
New one has HDMI and it's smaller. The GPU is also better which might help if playing Blu-Ray rips etc.

Mhansen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I have a DVI - HDMI cable laying around, so the lack of HDMI on the old one isnt and issue.
Also, the smaller size of the new one isnt worth the money, IMO.

But will the Mac Mini 2.26Ghz play a Blu-Ray rip? Or do i need the new expensive fancy pants mini? :confused:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have a DVI - HDMI cable laying around, so the lack of HDMI on the old one isnt and issue.
Also, the smaller size of the new one isnt worth the money, IMO.

But will the Mac Mini 2.26Ghz play a Blu-Ray rip? Or do i need the new expensive fancy pants mini? :confused:

I'm not so sure about BR rips but if you rip them with little lower quality, you should be fine. Rip one and take your external HD with you and go to store and give it a try. Should be fine at least if you encode them to other format if the format you're using isn't nice

Mhansen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Damn, that is unfortunatly not an option, since i have no external at the moment. :mad:

But if my laptop Asus UL30VT
Core2 Duo (mobile) SU7300 1,3Ghz
4Gb RAM
GeForce G 210M
Can run a movie, will the Mac Mini be able to do it?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Damn, that is unfortunatly not an option, since i have no external at the moment. :mad:

But if my laptop Asus UL30VT
Core2 Duo (mobile) SU7300 1,3Ghz
4Gb RAM
GeForce G 210M
Can run a movie, will the Mac Mini be able to do it?

More than fine. I think the people who have issues have high-quality BR rips which can take several 10GBs. Mini is a monster compared to your old lappy

Mhansen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Cool, thank you Hellraiser :rolleyes:
Well i dont rip in that quality! Largest rip i have is just under 8Gb i guess. And my lappy ran it fine!

Well i guess im off to the store to get and "old" mini :) My first Mac:apple:

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think you should really read the following thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/920085/

The conclusion I draw from the thread is that the new Mini should be much better at playing high quality BD rips. Most of the best information comes towards the end of the thread.

Personally, I would get the new Mini after reading that thread.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The core2duo 2ghz models from the last gen handled blueray rips just fine.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here is a quote from Cave Man, from the thread indicated above, which would push me towards getting the new Mac Mini for what you are planning on using it for:

The problem isn't the video of the Blu-ray disc, it's the audio. Since the 9400m does not have audio over displayport (it's not disabled, it simply isn't there) the Mini cannot passthrough HD audio (the Mini's optical port can only passthrough compressed 5.1) and without a hardware audio decoder (which all set-top Blu-ray Disc players have for their analog audio ports) the Mac software has to extract the AC3 or DTS cores on the fly while also decoding the compressed video. This is an extremely cpu-intensive task and is what both Plex and XBMC do. My quad-core hackintosh can do this just fine, but it puts it under quite a bit of load.

If you have or plan to buy a receiver capable of HD audio (True-HD or DTS-HD) then you're better off getting a dedicated disc player (which of course obviates the convenience of a file-based HTPC system). I'm sure the next Mini revision will have audio over displayport (since the Mini is a repackaged MacBook - which just got audio over displayport); however, until the software (e.g., Plex, XBMC) catches up and can passthrough True-HD and DTS-HD AND you have a receiver capable of decoding those, then we'll still be in the same boat - the cpu requirement for extracting AC3 and DTS on the fly. Perhaps an i-series cpu (dual core, hyperthreading) could do it, but I couldn't say without trying one out.

For me, I'm now using Make MKV to repackage the video with AC3 or DTS cores in an mkv container. I've listened to both HD audio and compressed audio (i.e., AC3 or DTS) and my ears can't tell the difference. But I'm sure some people can. Every Blu-ray disc that I have has been rewrapped into mkv, ts or m2ts containers without transcoded video and with AC3 or DTS and my 2 gHz Core 2 Duo Mini plays all of them with only a few dropped frames at the very beginning of playback using Plex. Plus, those repackaged files are several gigabytes smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.