Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hi there guys. I just got OS X running on a Mac Mini and am having some challenges around getting drives to map on the Mac from a Windows Home Server machine.

The Windows Home Server (named "homeserver") shows up in the network pane on the Finder but I can't seem to actually "map" the individual shares/folders from the Windows box onto the OS X.

When I go to finder and do a "connect to server" and then put in the SMB path to one of the folders on the Windows box I don't get a drive on the desktop, instead I just get a folder showing up in the finder that has the contents of the remote server.

For example, if I connect to \homeserver\music (or use the IP address), what ends up showing up in finder is :music and I get no desktop drive icon.

This is making it difficult for me to point OS X programs like iTunes or iPhoto to the drive shares, since they are really just showing up as folders. For example, I try to point my iTunes library destination to the /homeserver/music folder, but what ends up showing up in iTunes is that the library is pointed at :music and it just continues using the music folder on my local Mac drive as the source drive.

Is there any way to force this behavior? What am I missing?

Thanks.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Mods can you please move this back into the general OS X forum? I don't seem to be getting any responses here.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.