Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markvj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I bought a used 1.33 15" PB about two weeks ago, got it late last week, and am just getting around to checking it out. 10's a big difference from 9.1 (to say nothing of the upgrade from a 6400). Anyway, the sytem's got the previous owner's information in it - all her settings, etc. I emailed her for her password (haven't heard back yet), but then I thought it might be better to simply clean install from the system disks and start w/ a fresh drive. There's nothing on the machine I need that I don't have backed up already; is there any reason not to proceed w/ a clean install?

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Unless you are very courious about the habbits of the former owner, I think you should just wipe it.

There are lots of reasons not to double post, though... For one thing, moderators will not come to your house and throw bricks through the windows
:eek:

-Squirrel

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think that if you boot up with an OS X install CD, you can reset all passwords. That way, you can rummage around on the hard drive to make sure that you back up everything you need. If you want to do her a favor, you could check her iTMS settings and de-authorize the computer before re-formatting.

Other than that, there's really no reason to not re-install completely.

markvj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
New PB owner, should I clean install 10.3.3?

ftaok said:
If you want to do her a favor, you could check her iTMS settings and de-authorize the computer before re-formatting.

That's good news, and I'll proceed w/ the reinstall. Guess I should also figure out what iTMS settings are before I get started.

(Did I double-post something?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.