Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
If you do new M/B , Memory. CPU and GPU what step are required if you want to keep the existing windows build and data drives?
I've not done this in years and did a fresh install when I built my gaming rig 3 years ago.
I'm guessing its not just plug and play???

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
if you want to keep the existing windows build and data drives?
Its generally safer to reinstall windows but as long as stay with the same CPU manufacturer you may be ok. If you're going from an Intel build to an AMD build or vice versa then you pretty much need to reinstall windows.

My preferred method is get a new SSD install that in the computer and then use a USB M.2 NVME enclosure for the old SSD, from there I'll copy my data from the old drive to the new drive.

1693748773391.png

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
i may do a clean install then, this is just a flight sim rig , so msfs and xplane are on a different ssd and all my custom scenery on a 3rd ssd.
m
Maybe a few hours of configuration and creating new junctions to the data.

Reactions: Cape Dave

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Personally I would do a clean install, probably fine using the old drive with Windows on it and updating as any errors arise but if that's going to be a risk then a clean install is just as easy albeit time-consuming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.