Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
UK
Whilst i have had an iPhone since pretty much the beginning my wife has never had one. Both of the kids have iPhone, we all have iPads (including my wife), I'm typing this on an iMac and about to buy my eldest a MacBook Air for starting Uni in September. So we are properly in the eco system.

At long last i have persuaded my wife to get an iPhone, but typically true to form she isn't fussed on which one. She is coming form a Motorola G6 which for the price of £180 in December 2018 it has been brilliant and just what she needed.

I am thinking iPhone 13 or 14. Both will be a big step up for her. The high price of the pro isn't as an attract proposition.
Can get 13 in refurb store @ £630 (128gb)
Or 14 at John Lewis @ £764 (128gb)
Both of these are similar size to current phone with bigger screen.

Any comments as which would be best for her? General usage, social, text, calls, photos, email; and as already states either will be a big upgrade for her. Is the 14 worth the extra £134?

Thanks in advance.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
Both would be a great choice, however I'd go for the 14 personally just because it'll be supported longer than the 13, especially if it's something she'll have for a few years and not plan on upgrading again anytime soon

Reactions: FuriousD

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
There’s like almost no difference between the two. They both have almost the same cameras, same battery, same notch and even the same chipset. Perhaps the only thing that’d make you go for the 14 is that it’ll probably get supported longer than the 13. But otherwise, they’re literally the same phone.

So I feel like it’s better to save money and just go for the 13 since the 14 in general isn’t really a big upgrade from the 13. The 13 alone will be a big upgrade for her and good enough (if not more than enough) for her usage.
But it’s still up to you two. Both phones are good, I just don’t really feel like the 14 is worth the extra money.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
The differences aren't huge really, personally I'd go for the 14 due to longer support.

The main things really are minor but present.

1. slightly brighter front camera
2. 1 hr (theoretically ) extra battery life
3. BT 5.3 vs 5.0 better range for AirPods?

Some other features:

A couple of camera modes and satellite SOS functionality seem to be the only other differences I can spot.

You've probably already looked at Apple's side-by-side comparison.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I am thinking iPhone 13 or 14. Both will be a big step up for her. The high price of the pro isn't as an attract proposition.
Can get 13 in refurb store @ £630 (128gb)
Or 14 at John Lewis @ £764 (128gb)
Both of these are similar size to current phone with bigger screen.

Any comments as which would be best for her? General usage, social, text, calls, photos, email; and as already states either will be a big upgrade for her. Is the 14 worth the extra £134?

Thanks in advance.
Are you a worrywart (like me)? The iPhone 14 includes crash detection and emergency SOS via satellite. I'd pay the extra £134 for the peace of mind. (I checked and confirmed that both are available in the UK, which is where you appear to be.)

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Are you a worrywart (like me)? The iPhone 14 includes crash detection and emergency SOS via satellite. I'd pay the extra £134 for the peace of mind. (I checked and confirmed that both are available in the UK, which is where you appear to be.)
oh "crash detection", totally missed that one. And it's right there in the comparison chart too, so good find. Yes, that could definitely be something (aside from the other features mentioned) that tips the scales in favour of the 14.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Although, I wouldn't make a purchase at the moment unless there's a nice carrier incentive available (or something of the sort). We're mid July, and the 15 is going to be announced / released within the next 2 months or so.

The 15 probably won't be anything major, but it will have USB-C instead of lightning. If you hold on to your phones for a few years, this might be something worth considering. Aside from that, the 14 will likely fall into the 13's price point at that time saving you a bit more money.

Hope that helps!

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
People here forgot to mention the better repairability of the 14.

But I would wait for the 15

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you’re seriously considering the 14, definitely wait 2 months for the 15 to come out. Even if you don’t get the 15, it’ll drive down the price of the 14.

If it’s an urgent issue, I’d go for the refurb 13.

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
UK
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Ideally want to get new phone now so she has it for holiday and pictures. I personally am waiting until September to upgrade my X which I have had since launch. If the 15 pro doesn't offer much over 14 pro, i will get the 14 pro for myself.

• Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
I would buy the 13 is almost the same than 14 and lower price

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.