Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, I have an old 6s that is in mint condition but the battery is going down down down. I now use a Mophie case all the time cause internal battery can't hold more than 3-4 hours since updating to 14.7.1. My usage is exclusively for security during car commute, small trips. No YT, no FB no IG, no 1000 pictures taking. Sometimes I read news and that's about it. My financial situation has been deteriorating lately. My provider has an offer: 0.00$ for a 2020 Motorola G Stylus with a 24 months plan. I don't have a plan now but I'm with the same provider since 1999. Been in and out of plans over time. I really can't afford the new iPhones be it a SE which I don't like. If I'm to change my faithful 6s, it's gonna be for a bigger screen that 4.7 inch. Thought: would it be sensible to go for the Motorola for the time being and start saving for a new iPhone. I'm mostly anxious to buy a used iPhone. I know, I know. Much problems syncing photos and contacts (fortunately I don't have a lot) and all the small hassle. Please tell me honestly what you think: foolishness or a little bit of wisdom?
Thanks for cues and hints.

Reactions: macintoshmac

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
Have you thought about just replacing the battery on your 6s and keep that for another year? There are plenty of videos on YT showing you how to do it your self, or get someone to do it for cheap. Sounds like it is okay for your usage, and best option for your financial situation. Remember the $0 phone is never really free because of the contract and maybe different terms than you would accept without the new phone. Your financial situation will have changed in a year or when a new version of the SE comes out.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hello, I have an old 6s that is in mint condition but the battery is going down down down. I now use a Mophie case all the time cause internal battery can't hold more than 3-4 hours since updating to 14.7.1. My usage is exclusively for security during car commute, small trips. No YT, no FB no IG, no 1000 pictures taking. Sometimes I read news and that's about it. My financial situation has been deteriorating lately. My provider has an offer: 0.00$ for a 2020 Motorola G Stylus with a 24 months plan. I don't have a plan now but I'm with the same provider since 1999. Been in and out of plans over time. I really can't afford the new iPhones be it a SE which I don't like. If I'm to change my faithful 6s, it's gonna be for a bigger screen that 4.7 inch. Thought: would it be sensible to go for the Motorola for the time being and start saving for a new iPhone. I'm mostly anxious to buy a used iPhone. I know, I know. Much problems syncing photos and contacts (fortunately I don't have a lot) and all the small hassle. Please tell me honestly what you think: foolishness or a little bit of wisdom?
Thanks for cues and hints.

As @MhaelK suggested, if finances allow, you might consider getting a battery replacement. Also, I like the way you asked.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi and thank so much. Why didn’t I think of that brilliant idea in the first place. My financial situation has deteriorated but I can pay $65 CDN for a replacement at Apple or $40 at an electronic shop. Doing it myself would be about this same last price. So going the Android road doesn’t tell you much...yes I thought I asked caused I was very close to try on a Motorola phone which btw has good reviews. I was surprised. That confused me.

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
Not saying that the Motorola G Stylus is a bad phone. In many ways it might be a great phone for your usage with a larger screen and battery, and Android isn’t bad at all depending on how deep you’re in the Apple ecosystem.

My advice was based on the fact that you wanted to save up for another iphone, indicating that you didnt really want to leave iOS - and then replacing the battery might be a better option (and cheap). But the Motorola should be able to last you a couple of years if you are wanting a bigger screen and dont mind trying out Android, as you Said it Got good reviews and has newer features than your 6s. It also all depends on the 24 month plan they want you to commit to.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Sorry to hear about your current financial problems. This may be the time to give Android a try as you have alluded to. I switched to Android two years ago and I am very pleased with that decision.

Al the best to you whichever way you go.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hi and thank so much. Why didn’t I think of that brilliant idea in the first place. My financial situation has deteriorated but I can pay $65 CDN for a replacement at Apple or $40 at an electronic shop. Doing it myself would be about this same last price. So going the Android road doesn’t tell you much...yes I thought I asked caused I was very close to try on a Motorola phone which btw has good reviews. I was surprised. That confused me.

You can try that device out. If you like it and think you can live with it for a couple years, great. Otherwise, the cheapest option is to get that battery replaced and stay on for as long as you want.

Reactions: Valdna

Geepaw

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2021
If I were you I would buy time with a battery replacement. I like using the iPhone over all other Android phones I have experimented with in the past.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’d go with the battery replacement route. Switching to Android is just not an option. Although that depends on how deep you are in the ecosystem. If finance is a point to make then I’d suggest against trying out new / unknown platforms and sign up for a contract on top.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I agree with the above — just get the battery replaced. It looks like iOS 14 will be supported concurrently with iOS 15 this year so you don't have to fret about running "old software"

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
like everyone said, get a new battery . Maybe you'll be able to buy a new phone later on, in the meantime you will have your trusted 6s. I still have the 6s plus, I changed the battery two years ago. The phone still working fine, the battery obviously not that great now but that's expected

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Seeing how you have a decent apple device portfolio already, going Android route might not be the most effective. While the Android phone in itself will be better than your 6S, you will miss out a lot on all small Apple things that you won't know until you change. Like others, I would advise going with a battery replacement. If you can swing, get Apple to do it and you should be set for few more years and hopefully by then you will be in a better financial situation to get a newer iPhone. Also, keep in mind that Apple also sells refurbished iPhone which might save you some money compared to brand new - a more expensive alternative to 3rd party or Craigslist etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.