Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I just picked up my new 15pm in Blue. I'm switching from the S23 ultra. Pretty cool that I could pick it up the same day I placed the order from Apple.
0a0820d2346280f8c598375610d7164f.jpg

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Beautiful phone. Enjoy!!

Thanks. So far I’m enjoying it. It took me a few hours to set it up and transfer over all my passwords and logins.

Also, I don’t know why people don’t like the keyboard. I can type way faster than I could on gboard.

Reactions: turbochgd

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
As I said in your other thread, if you use the iOS versions of Google's apps you'll feel right at home. In my opinion, the iOS apps for Google's services are actually better than the ones for Android. More intuiative.

So far I’m finding this to be true.

Reactions: eyoungren

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
As I said in your other thread, if you use the iOS versions of Google's apps you'll feel right at home. In my opinion, the iOS apps for Google's services are actually better than the ones for Android. More intuiative.
Or, you could take a deep breath and disentangle yourself from Google entirely.

No Google app will ever find its way onto my iPhone, nor is there any need.

(I do use Google Maps via the web sometimes, mainly when given a link by another person - but I never sign in or leave the tab open....)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Or, you could take a deep breath and disentangle yourself from Google entirely.

No Google app will ever find its way onto my iPhone, nor is there any need.

(I do use Google Maps via the web sometimes, mainly when given a link by another person - but I never sign in or leave the tab open....)
That is certainly your choice. I was prepared to be all-in on the Apple ecosystem in 2012 when I got the iPhone 5. Unfortunately for me, that was the year Apple decided to not support Lightning based devices on older PowerBook/PowerMac computers via iTunes. It wasn't until May 2020 that I fully converted to Intel Macs.

That meant that I could not use Apple's services very easily. At the time I was (and still am) heavily invested in Microsoft Office for email and Office leverages my contacts. I had all those contacts inside Office and I could not sync them to my iPhone and vice-versa. I had to look for alternative methods.

Google's services work. They are cross platform, web-accessible and work on almost any device/computer. At that point I realized I was not going to be dependent on Apple. I can come and go freely between Android/iOS, Mac/PC because - Google.

You may not like them, others may not like them and a lot of it is because of security and privacy. Fair enough. I give Google the least amount of details I can give them. I browse with uMatrix which blocks ads and trackers. But I will continue to use their services because they work on just about anything - giving me freedom of choice in what devices/computers I wish to use.

Apple may be 'better' at privacy and security but if you believe that they are benevolent keepers of your private data I would think again.

Reactions: juice3250

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
That is certainly your choice. I was prepared to be all-in on the Apple ecosystem in 2012 when I got the iPhone 5. Unfortunately for me, that was the year Apple decided to not support Lightning based devices on older PowerBook/PowerMac computers via iTunes. It wasn't until May 2020 that I fully converted to Intel Macs.

That meant that I could not use Apple's services very easily. At the time I was (and still am) heavily invested in Microsoft Office for email and Office leverages my contacts. I had all those contacts inside Office and I could not sync them to my iPhone and vice-versa. I had to look for alternative methods.

Google's services work. They are cross platform, web-accessible and work on almost any device/computer. At that point I realized I was not going to be dependent on Apple. I can come and go freely between Android/iOS, Mac/PC because - Google.

You may not like them, others may not like them and a lot of it is because of security and privacy. Fair enough. I give Google the least amount of details I can give them. I browse with uMatrix which blocks ads and trackers. But I will continue to use their services because they work on just about anything - giving me freedom of choice in what devices/computers I wish to use.

Apple may be 'better' at privacy and security but if you believe that they are benevolent keepers of your private data I would think again.

I like using some google apps and services like google photos, maps and chrome. Google maps is superior to Apple Maps. I have a ton of saved stuff in Chrome. And I use windows at home so it make sense to use chrome. I have my entire library of photos and videos backed up to google photos and a lot on my computer’s hard drive. There’s no way I’m going to start using iCloud for media backup.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
I like using some google apps and services like google photos, maps and chrome. Google maps is superior to Apple Maps. I have a ton of saved stuff in Chrome. And I use windows at home so it make sense to use chrome. I have my entire library of photos and videos backed up to google photos and a lot on my computer’s hard drive. There’s no way I’m going to start using iCloud for media backup.
Choice is a wonderful thing...

Don't agree with your comment on maps, though. Google Maps drove me crazy (literally) when navigating in Okinawa recently - including completely ignoring my destination on one occasion. When I used Apple Maps, it worked much batter, gave more useful audible instructions (e.g. "at the next set of lights, turn left") and the haptic taps on my Watch for turn left and right are really useful too.

I wouldn't use Google to back up media, but I agree with the principle of having at least two other backups of important stuff in completely different places (physical or virtual).

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022

Very good points. I can see why your position is right for you.

I trust Apple in a way I don't trust Google or Microsoft. It might be misplaced trust, but I do....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Google Photos is one of the few services I don't use much. That's simply because I've had an account with Dropbox since 2011 and at some point Dropbox featured auto uploading of images on my phones. Since doing that means it's reflected to ALL devices running Dropbox, ever image I take appears on all those devices. Dropbox also does not impose a limit on image quality or image size. And in 2012 Dropbox was working with PowerPC Macs.

So, I just stuck with Dropbox.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Google Photos is one of the few services I don't use much. That's simply because I've had an account with Dropbox since 2011 and at some point Dropbox featured auto uploading of images on my phones. Since doing that means it's reflected to ALL devices running Dropbox, ever image I take appears on all those devices. Dropbox also does not impose a limit on image quality or image size. And in 2012 Dropbox was working with PowerPC Macs.

So, I just stuck with Dropbox.

Thanks. I’ll check out Dropbox. I just like some of Google photos’ editing features. But I’m not opposed to trying out a different backup solution.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks. I’ll check out Dropbox. I just like some of Google photos’ editing features. But I’m not opposed to trying out a different backup solution.
They give you 2GB free. I have around 10.1GB free, but that was because in the early days they had 'promos' that 'earned' you more space. That said, I've been paying them about $28 a month for 4.1TB of storage Paying for storage is a personal choice, but part of my reason for sticking with Dropbox is that other than the capacity limit they do not limit filesizes. I can drop any size file I want into Dropbox and as long as it's under my capacity cap, it'll upload at full speed.

F-Stop

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
The 'Sunny' South Coast UK
The iPhone 15 Pro ( especially in Blue Titanium ) is a lovely device 😍. I purchased mine on launch day last year but, for ( mostly ) sentimental reason, I have just bought a 13 Mini! I doubt very much that I will ever sell this Mini but I fully expect to buy the iPhone 16 Pro on release…it will ju be a matter of which colour.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
They give you 2GB free. I have around 10.1GB free, but that was because in the early days they had 'promos' that 'earned' you more space. That said, I've been paying them about $28 a month for 4.1TB of storage Paying for storage is a personal choice, but part of my reason for sticking with Dropbox is that other than the capacity limit they do not limit filesizes. I can drop any size file I want into Dropbox and as long as it's under my capacity cap, it'll upload at full speed.
I also had an account with extended storage (more than 10GB) but I stopped logging in, because I was slowly ceasing to use it. And the last I remember is that they used to terminate those accounts that hadn’t logged in at least once in the previous year, so I’ve probably lost my account and all it’s data, because it’s been several years since the last time I logged in… also the associated email, I stopped using it as well.

So I guess that, in the case I want to regain access to that Dropbox account, first I’ll have to regain access to that email. And even then, I’m not sure if the Dropbox account will still exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.