Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
The tagline for the new Photos app is:

"Every photo you take. On all your devices."

Okay, I like that but when I read further,

"Once you’ve enabled it on your iOS devices, iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in iCloud, at full resolution in their original formats, including RAW files. You can access and download them anytime from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or the web."

I can't help but think that the 5GB of free iCloud storage is now irrelevant, especially now that iCloud has been opened up to the Finder. I imagine the majority of people who now live comfortably with their 5GB default allotment will quickly surpass that and be subject to tiered pricing.

Also, what about your existing Photo Library on your Mac? Will it be uploaded to your iCloud Photo Library? I currently pay for an extra 20GB of iCloud storage, but my Photo Library is 95GB. Even with severe pruning I'd need the $4/month tier. Do I understand this correctly?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Yes, I think that's right. If you currently pay $40.00 a year for 20GB, you can choose to pay 99c a month for 20GB or $3.99 for 200GB.

The 200 GB tier seems like it would fit you. You'd be paying an extra $8 a year, but would get an extra 160GB.

I hope they have a 100GB tier for $1.99.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
And I'm sure MS Office will be partially incompatible somehow. Sigh. At least OneDrive works well on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.