Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Is it me or is Apple going to do glowing Apple logos on all their devices? the iPhone 6 casing leak showed a cut-out of the Apple logo and now this iPad.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I still don't know why I need a tablet AND a laptop AND a smartphone. My Macs and my wife's Windows laptop suit perfectly our digital entertainment needs along our smartphones.

This is how it works for me: iPhone for connectivity out of the home, Macbook Pro for work and productivity, iPad for leisure time in front of the TV after closing the laptop for the day.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
the sooner the better my iPad 3 is dying :(

As is mine. If it wasn't for the paltry 1GB of ram in the iPad Air I'd have already upgraded. Really hoping the Air 2 has at least 2GB. I'd rather use my macbook and iPhone more often than buy another 1GB iPad.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Again, who cares if the iPad Air 2 is 10x faster? As long as it's still the pathetic 1GB RAM with safari web page tab constantly refreshing it doesn't make a damn bit of difference

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
internals aside, i don't see them doing anything interesting with the ipad anytime soon

It may be partly due to the disappointing sales figures. I predicted the hype for iPad to slow down in the next generation since the room for improvement has significantly reduced with the iPad Air and iPad mini retina (in their current form). Anyway, I don't think I'm upgrading my Air and retina mini anytime soon.

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
Since Apple prefers doing as much as they can in-house, it's truly only a matter of time before Apple devices begin to use Beats speakers/technology. Perhaps they'll start with the iPad. Regardless of what one thinks of Beats audio quality, the brand sells and surely the iPad is in need of a new selling point.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
This is how it works for me: iPhone for connectivity out of the home, Macbook Pro for work and productivity, iPad for leisure time in front of the TV after closing the laptop for the day.

I would probably to the same as you if I had a tablet, but I think I'm more productive with a laptop even for the free time. When I just want checking Facebook or watching a short movie from YouTube, a cell phone will do the job.

I wonder if the iPhone 5.5" won't make iPads useless, unless iPads bring something really exclusive besides a bigger screen.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It may be partly due to the disappointing sales figures. I predicted the hype for iPad to slow down in the next generation since the room for improvement has significantly reduced with the iPad Air and iPad mini retina (in their current form). Anyway, I don't think I'm upgrading my Air and retina mini anytime soon.

It's just a sign that it's maturing. They stated that the Air design was in the works for a while. Now that they finally have it, we'll be seeing mainly spec upgrades in the foreseeable future, with only very minor case changes.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
+++1

Thinness was a good goal to improve Ipad1.

I think they have arrived. Shaving thousands of an inch is pointless; the current incarnation is already on the edge of being too thin and flexible.

Why does EVERY prediction of the next iPad talk about "thinner". Is that what the masses want? A thinner pad? Something that flexes and creaks?

You got extra room in the case? Make the battery bigger for crying out loud.

Not sure about thinner but lighter, definitely, iPad Air is too heavy to hold in one hand for prolonged periods of time especially for things like reading. iPad mini doesn't weigh too much but needs a larger screen size. I suppose the thickness is indirectly related to the weight so I say YES to thinner too.

----------

You have the latest iPad and iPad mini. Why would you upgrade them? You know who doesn't have both of the latest tablets from Apple? A few hundred million potential customers. This slowdown is temporary.

----------

Again, who cares if the iPad Air 2 is 10x faster? As long as it's still the pathetic 1GB RAM with safari web page tab constantly refreshing it doesn't make a damn bit of difference

Broken record. Look, it's not that I don't or Apple doesn't believe you. It's just that the iPad runs hundreds of thousands of apps with no issues and does a lot of video and music based processing that rival some laptops. If all you do is browse on Safari and your tabs occasionally reload, I call that a very minor inconvenience that too many people are whining about. Get over it, return your iPad or just buy a different brand. Whining on forums never fixed anything.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If all you do is browse on Safari and your tabs occasionally reload, I call that a very minor inconvenience that too many people are whining about. Get over it, return your iPad or just buy a different brand. Whining on forums never fixed anything.

Do we know for a fact that tablets with 2-3GB of RAM do not have the tab reloading problem?

I've never seen that mentioned in a review.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Do we know for a fact that tablets with 2-3GB of RAM do not have the tab reloading problem?.
No. Even the 1 GB in the Air should be adequate to keep quite a few web pages cached, but mine reloads frequently if I switch among more than just 2-3 of them. It's annoying. Right now I've got 9 tabs open with different web pages is desktop Safari and it only uses 145 MB of RAM (some of them quite long pages with a lot of images). More RAM should help, but Apple must be really limiting the cache size in software.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
No. Even the 1 GB in the Air should be adequate to keep quite a few web pages cached, but mine reloads frequently if I switch among more than just 2-3 of them. It's annoying. Right now I've got 9 tabs open with different web pages is desktop Safari and it only uses 145 MB of RAM (some of them quite long pages with a lot of images). More RAM should help, but Apple must be really limiting the cache size in software.

Gotcha.

Just wondering :)

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Yeah, as far as tablets go, if you already own one of last falls A7 models, you already have the best. No real reason to buy a new iPad unless you're a first timer.
Well, unless you have pails of money laying around or collect iPads I guess?

Nuff said! :)

alexburton1995

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
So....why is the Apple cut out in this and the iPhone leaks ?
Will we finally get a glowing Apple logo ???

The apple logo is cut out because there will be a mirrored apple sitting right there. I don't know if you've seen the newer models of the iPad mini, the apple logo isn't brushed into the aluminium anymore. It's a little cut out mirror apple.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I had hoped that this 'gold' thing was just a seasonal affair and this year people would have another range of colours to obsess over. (much like they used to refresh the iPod colours annually)

Apparently I'm wrong :(

----------

The only people who buy iPads now are first timers (very few) and people who have their iPad break (very few). Otherwise, Apple provides zero reason to upgrade.

:apple:

iOS 'upgrades'

I regret ever updating my iPad 3 to iOS 7 because it runs like crap and has none of the features.

It will only get worse.

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Wonderful for when you're grabbing it landscape as most people do. I'm sure you'll get a nice hand massage.

there's a reason why tablets don't have front facing speakers.

Try to hold this in landscape. give me a break.

----------

That's called a MacBook Air. It comes with a keyboard and you don't have to wonder how to press enter to send a message without touching the screen.

interesting that you used the Japanese version of the iPad and mba.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.