Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The swipe to go back on IOS doesn't get much easier. Although, it can be a bit temperamental at times.
exactly....but it is easier to reach the lower and better positioned back button than swipe. Then.... swipe doesn't always work in all apps. But the back button pretty much is universal.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Yeah the times I've had Android, quality is what definitely made me eventually come back to iOS.

I'm looking to give a try as a secondary device sometime in the future, but if banking apps aren't even supporting biometric, that would be somewhat of a deal breaker.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah the times I've had Android, quality is what definitely made me eventually come back to iOS.

I'm looking to give a try as a secondary device sometime in the future, but if banking apps aren't even supporting biometric, that would be somewhat of a deal breaker.
Poor Android app and widget quality is one of the reasons why I switched back to iOS. It’s obvious that Android apps are an afterthought for most app developers. Banking apps not supporting fingerprint security really drew the line for me.

Every time I get tempted to try a Pixel, I head over to r/GooglePixel, read the constant complaints about the phone, remember the horrible apps and widgets, and I’m like, nope, I’m good.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
but if banking apps aren't even supporting biometric, that would be somewhat of a deal breaker.

Every banking app that I use supports the fingerprint reader on my Pixel 2 XL. Will they support any kind of face unlock? I don't think so, they don't support the Trusted Face I have set up. Any other would be a manufacturer-developed technology which I'm sure banks won't be jumping on unless they use common APIs across several manufacturers.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Basically, if I give Android another try it'll have to be as my secondary device.

I can't deal with the stress of it being my only device. Although, I would like to be able to escape iOS when I get bored.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Poor Android app and widget quality is one of the reasons why I switched back to iOS. It’s obvious that Android apps are an afterthought for most app developers. Banking apps not supporting fingerprint security really drew the line for me.

Every time I get tempted to try a Pixel, I head over to r/GooglePixel, read the constant complaints about the phone, remember the horrible apps and widgets, and I’m like, nope, I’m good.
Yes, you have made that quite clear.

I ask Siri to do something on my iPad and I can't wait to get rid of it. iOS is just such a disappointment from a services side.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Every banking app that I use supports the fingerprint reader on my Pixel 2 XL. Will they support any kind of face unlock? I don't think so, they don't support the Trusted Face I have set up. Any other would be a manufacturer-developed technology which I'm sure banks won't be jumping on unless they use common APIs across several manufacturers.

Ok, well that's good to know. I wonder if finger print reader is supported on the 6T.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

I do the same thing for r/GooglePixel, and usually come to the same conclusion. I like the peace of mind if something happens with an iPhone I can walk into an Apple store for support. What I read on there doesn’t give me much confidence in Google support as the horror stories are way worse than any Apple support issue I’ve read about.

Basically, if I give Android another try it'll have to be as my secondary device.

I can't deal with the stress of it being my only device. Although, I would like to be able to escape iOS when I get bored.
I would like to pick up a secondary device running Android myself. I could then SIM swap between the two devices as necessary. Just trying to find the right device to pick up.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I do the same thing for r/GooglePixel, and usually come to the same conclusion. I like the peace of mind if something happens with an iPhone I can walk into an Apple store for support. What I read on there doesn’t give me much confidence in Google support as the horror stories are way worse than any Apple support issue I’ve read about.

I would like to pick up a secondary device running Android myself. I could then SIM swap between the two devices as necessary. Just trying to find the right device to pick up.

I want the 6T McLaren very badly!!!

Reactions: timeconsumer

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Yes, you have made that quite clear.

I ask Siri to do something on my iPad and I can't wait to get rid of it. iOS is just such a disappointment from a services side.
You follow me around like a puppy.

Also, I never use Siri because she is awful.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

My experience is completely different I refuse to pay the Apple premium for support that is not globally available, I can walk to my local mall and get Samsung support where Apple is non existent let alone no 14 day trial period exchanges etc etc

Where Apple service works it's good but simply poor in many places by comparison

Reactions: AustinIllini

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The argument about the apps not being as good on android isn't as true any more. Years ago the apps on android were far worse. Today they are pretty close. iOS is slightly more polished but outside of a few exceptions I have no complaints about apps on android. All my banking apps allow fingerprint access on my 3 XL. I don't use widgets on either OS so no issues for me there.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The argument about the apps not being as good on android isn't as true any more. Years ago the apps on android were far worse. Today they are pretty close. iOS is slightly more polished but outside of a few exceptions I have no complaints about apps on android. All my banking apps allow fingerprint access on my 3 XL. I don't use widgets on either OS so no issues for me there.
This is my experience as well. I use a smaller bank and I don't have any biometric issues.

I'm tired of iPhone users using tired old narratives to justify their iPhone purchase.

Reactions: jamezr

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
My experience is completely different I refuse to pay the Apple premium for support that is not globally available, I can walk to my local mall and get Samsung support where Apple is non existent let alone no 14 day trial period exchanges etc etc

Where Apple service works it's good but simply poor in many places by comparison
Fair enough. What works for me of course won’t work for everyone. I don’t have access to in-person Samsung support where I live. But I’ve actually read good things about their support if you live or travel where it’s available.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband’s chief complaint about Android was that his financial services apps didn’t support biometric authentication. That wasn’t too long ago. Last year I believe.

So I was surprised he wasn’t still complaining about it on his Pixel 3XL but he said all of his apps had been updated to accept his fingerprints! :)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Banking apps not supporting fingerprint security really drew the line for me.

What fingerprint? Newer iPhones no longer have Touch ID and Face ID suffers from false positives allowing someone other than you to unlock and make unauthorized purchases. There are a ton of these Face ID fails on YouTube.

In terms of strength:
MFA (retina + fingerprint) > retina > fingerprint > strong password > Face ID

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
What fingerprint? Newer iPhones no longer have Touch ID and Face ID suffers from false positives allowing someone other than you to unlock and make unauthorized purchases. There are a ton of these Face ID fails on YouTube.

In terms of strength:
MFA (retina + fingerprint) > retina > fingerprint > strong password > Face ID
I’m unable to watch the video right now, but I don’t like Face ID at all. It works for me, but I think of it more as a convenience over everything else.

I feel like it’s a little bit slower than Touch ID when trying to authenticate into apps, but it’s more automated. However when you wake the phone and swipe up from the lock screen it seems like it’s fast. The delay from waking the screen and swiping up is giving Face ID enough time to authenticate. However with Touch ID I just left my thumb on the home button so when the app opened it immediately would recognize.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I’m unable to watch the video right now, but I don’t like Face ID at all. It works for me, but I think of it more as a convenience over everything else.

I feel like it’s a little bit slower than Touch ID when trying to authenticate into apps, but it’s more automated. However when you wake the phone and swipe up from the lock screen it seems like it’s fast. The delay from waking the screen and swiping up is giving Face ID enough time to authenticate. However with Touch ID I just left my thumb on the home button so when the app opened it immediately would recognize.

I won’t argue that FaceID is faster vs TouchID, however I think the differences are negligible in my everyday use. I do find better convenience using FaceID though.

One area I feel FaceID is faster or at least more convenient is anywhere in navigation where biometrics authenticate, i.e. filling passwords from iCloud Keychain or 1Password. I don’t have to move my hand to the FP sensor as FaceID just does its thing, especially beneficial when I’m using my iPad Pro.

I also use my phone upright in a dock quite a bit and having to reach around the back of my Pixel 2 in these situations is much more inconvenient or just not possible (car mount). And using the phone with damp hands pretty much meant I was using the passcode.

I don’t think either solution are clear and away better, but after using FaceID on multiple devices this year, don’t think I’d want to go back.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Face ID isn't convenient as fingerprint since I can't unlock the phone without taking my eyes off the road nor as secure so it wouldn't work for me at all. Prefer unlocking the phone with fingerprint and using iris scanner as more secure 2nd factor authentication for banking, secure folder, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.