Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crocodile-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
You know how at technology expos they show future hardware for companies sometimes 5- 10 years down the road... Just wondering if apple does this at all, and has demoed any pimped out machines such as a future Powerbook G4.

As a side note, why is apple so tight about their products. Why not get people interested in their product at least a month before it is going to be released, so people can hype it up and drool over it?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
you can't hype your new stuff before it comes out! no one will buy your current line because they will wait for your new stuff. that's a horrible idea from a business standpoint.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
yeah, I agree, that's BS.....not every one wants the latest and greatest thing. There are some (me) that do, but the majority will buy what they "need" at the present time.

Source

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by WanaPBnow
yeah, I agree, that's BS.....not every one wants the latest and greatest thing. There are some (me) that do, but the majority will buy what they "need" at the present time.

I don't think that really applies to Macs though.

With AMD, new chips are being released constantly. With Mac computers, a new revision of the Powerbook can happen anywhere from 6 months or longer. So people are more willing to wait for the new macs to be released, so that they can have the latest and greatest for those 6 months or longer.

I don't know why, but even though there's a lot of rumours about the next revision of the PBG4 being released within the next few weeks, i just don't think it's going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, i hope it does as i want one, but i've got a feeling that we won't be seeing a new mac for a while (Maybe January). None of these rumors seem to have any hard kind of facts to base their estimations of the release on.

TheCharlie

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2002
Santa Cruz, CA
But I heard...

I heard that Apple was scheduled to release them a month back, but they got stuck somewhere overseas in outbound shipping or something. It's probably somewhere else on here that I heard it, but I forget where.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.