Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2
PowerBook5,2
PowerBook6,3
PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1
17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1
15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
So they know about new powerbooks that are coming. That's not really news, of course they're going to be making new powerbooks. It's not like they've stopped upgrading them

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Interesting!

4 models of PB? I guess the 15" will have 2 configurations as current.

Wonder why apple is taking so long to release the revised 15" PB. I am waiting and getting impatient.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I can't make those numbers make any kind of sense, but 4 new models is what we'd expect in the near future:

New 12"
Two new 15"
New 17"

Here's hoping for 7457s in the whole line.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Originally posted by nagromme
I can't make those numbers make any kind of sense, but 4 new models is what we'd expect in the near future:

New 12"
Two new 15"
New 17"

Here's hoping for 7457s in the whole line.

By my guess math I get

2 new 12" Versions (PowerBook6,2, PowerBook6,3)
2 new 17" Versions (PowerBook5,2, PowerBook5,3)

(these could be the next 2 revision placeholders)

NO 15" VERSION!!!! (PowerBook3,????? Gone?)

Aiiieeeeee.

-Wyrm

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This seems to suggest the next PowerBooks updates featuring updates 12 inchers (Combo & SuperDrive) and the 17" inchers (SuperDrive & hmmmm?). But where is the 15" update!?!?!

By the way, who the hell found this? :)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by Wyrm
By my guess math I get

2 new 12" Versions (PowerBook6,2, PowerBook6,3)
2 new 17" Versions (PowerBook5,2, PowerBook5,3)

(these could be the next 2 revision placeholders)

NO 15" VERSION!!!! (PowerBook3,????? Gone?)

Aiiieeeeee.

-Wyrm

i'm with you Wyrm. if 3.? is the number for the 15", then that means it's left out.

and where did this come from anyway? buried deep inside Panther somewhere? the code for the 15" could have just been left out, or in a different section. but what was this in Panther for anyway? i've got alot of questions for the person that found this...

i really doubt that they'll drop the 15" PB. the 15" is the most perfect size notebook ever created!! this is a page 2 rumor for a reason.

pellucidity

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
US
I suspect the 3.x line is dead simply because the new 15" powerbooks, though they will have Moto chips, will not be titanium... I would suggest that the 15" and 17" are considered close relatives by Apple.

The 12" of course carries iBook DNA and is a separate proposition.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I wonder if the 17in will be the same as the 15in, but with a better screen. I hope Apple does not make the 15in slower (like with the 12in) so the 17in looks a better buy.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by cb911
i'm with you Wyrm. if 3.? is the number for the 15", then that means it's left out.

and where did this come from anyway? buried deep inside Panther somewhere? the code for the 15" could have just been left out, or in a different section. but what was this in Panther for anyway? i've got alot of questions for the person that found this...

I expect the files are drivers for the new PowerBooks. We all know new PowerBooks have to be released sometime before christmas, it would be silly for Panther not to include the drivers for these new systems.

What I want to know is whether there are any driver/system files that give an idea of the kind of hardware in these new PowerBooks.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Those updates must be near. If they are in a developer preview release of Panther, then they must be intending Panther to be tested by developers on these machines.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Now on to the PowerBooks

From looking at the code names I would say that the 15" and the 17" Powerbooks will be identical in features except for the number of ports and the size of their screens. Today the 12" PowerBook is the cut-down PowerBook in terms of speed and features and this will propably continue with the next revisions.

ipman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Re: New PowerBook Model ID's?

Originally posted by Macrumors
One user notes the following PowerBook model names

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

WTF were you doing looking at this random place???

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Holy Crap.

Dude! Now THAT'S Minutiae. A+ for finding this though. Well, of course Apple knows what's going on, blah, blah, blah, but this may give some well needed confidince boost to those troubled fellow mac-users who may commit suicide if no 15 inch laptop is released. I'm waiting too, but I'm worried about some of them... :(

I'm hoping for a G5 PowerBook at MWSF 2004 or spring 2004. That's right in line with my purchase schedule and that's what i want baby!

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
All I can say is, whatever the model number, I hope the new PowerBook goes to eleven.

[/Spinal Tap]

smartperson

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2003
New York
Could this explain it?

Well, the link mentioned in a previous post indicates some interesting patterns:

iBook Architecture is assigned an even number (iBooks get 2, 4, and the 12-in Powerbook, the iBook in disguise, gets 6).

From the iBooks, we can also see that the size of the display does not matter, because there is no differentiation for the 14-in iBook.

Real Power Books get odd numbers (1, 3, and now 5 with the 17-incher).

With that knowledge, we can see that the 15-inch Power Book with older architecture had been assigned an initial number of 3.

Since the iBooks tell us that the size of the display does not matter for the number, the 15-inch Power Book can have the same Architecture as the 17-inch Power Book and they can actually have the exact same number... This brings along a very interesting possibility...
In this case, there can be two configuration options for the 17 and 15-inch Power Books that are different enough to have different Model IDs. It's also possible that the 15 and 17 will have one configuration each, and different graphics cards (ATI RADEON Mobility 9600, please!).

And this makes me wonder something else...what about the 6,x model IDs? If screen size doesn't matter for Model ID I have no idea why there would be two unless you have two very different mini Books. Well, there are some possibilities here, but I'll leave it to someone else, my post is too long and too speculative as it is.

BTW: What's going on with Apple these days? They're just letting information loose willy-nilly!

I'm probably way off, but I like my explanation a lot.

I need a new 15-inch Power Book!

Later rumor dudes

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Re: NDA?

Originally posted by canadianmacguy
Does no one respect an NDA anymore.. it's so sad sometimes..

how does this fall under the NDA? the NDA is for apple employees...the main post says "a user" meaning someone playing with panther and snooping around that isn't under the NDA

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
perfectly unsuitable

Originally posted by cb911

i really doubt that they'll drop the 15" PB. the 15" is the most perfect size notebook ever created!! this is a page 2 rumor for a reason.

I'm willing to agrue that the opposite is true. The 15" is too big to be portable, however, I think the 12" ought to be 13" to be functionally portable. The 15" is too small to be a desktop replacement.

I'll bet that they will drop the 15" model.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.