Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iErik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I know that everyone is awaiting the new Power Macs tomorrow, but I'm curious for opinions on laptop updates. It sounds like the Powerbook will not be upgraded until MWSF :( So do you think we'll see an ibook upgrade before then? Afterall, how long can Apple convince the public that 600 and 700 Mhz G3s are adequate? I'm not saying ditch the G3s yet, but how about 800s and 1 Ghz G3s soon? Any thoughts--am I asking for too much?!?

Regards,
Erik

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
OK, just my 2 cents

I think I'm probably wrong with this but i'm just connecting important dates with updates, but maybe they will update the iBooks september 30, when we all have to pay for *shudder* .mac

(too excited to make any sense right now, ok?):rolleyes:

Iswitched

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
updated powerbooks

I have heard that we will be seeing a upgraded powerbook 1ghz.... 64mb video card... etc.. pretty soon... personally I had ordered a 800 mhz, 60 gig beauty last week but then the hard drive got delayed so I just cancelled it..... hopefully I can either get a blazin 1ghz... or save alot on a 800 mhz within a month

peace out

(my first post yo, dont tear me apart)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: updated powerbooks

Originally posted by Iswitched
I have heard that we will be seeing a upgraded powerbook 1ghz.... 64mb video card... etc.. pretty soon... personally I had ordered a 800 mhz, 60 gig beauty last week but then the hard drive got delayed so I just cancelled it..... hopefully I can either get a blazin 1ghz... or save alot on a 800 mhz within a month

peace out

(my first post yo, dont tear me apart)

You might save some money...apple might drop the prices...as for the 1 ghz, 64 mb vid, it might be farfetched. Especially with the price that its going at. I'm assuming you're talking about the specs given here:

http://www.yourdailymac.com

The specs they put up almost seem like a fantasy...apple users will be estatic. So other than a price drop, I'm not sure they'll be a big update...maybe just a minor one. Hope that helps.

Welcome to MacRumors, Iswitched.

(I think this is the fifth time I've welcomed someone tonight :D)

Iswitched

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
powerbook thoughts

I talked to a guy at my friendly local apple store, and he said that he thought that there would be a video upgrade option (up to 64mb) and then a faster processor the next time the powerbook was updated. So, Im going on that, and the report at yourdailymac.com.

I mean, if they are going to have an update, would they really just upgrade the processor and nothing else.... I guess they could do that but that seems pretty weak to me.

hopefully I can pick myself up a new powerbook in Sept sometime with a faster processor.... I would feel better if I was at least over the 1ghz barrier....

peace out

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: powerbook thoughts

Originally posted by Iswitched
I talked to a guy at my friendly local apple store, and he said that he thought that there would be a video upgrade option (up to 64mb) and then a faster processor the next time the powerbook was updated. So, Im going on that, and the report at yourdailymac.com.

I mean, if they are going to have an update, would they really just upgrade the processor and nothing else.... I guess they could do that but that seems pretty weak to me.

hopefully I can pick myself up a new powerbook in Sept sometime with a faster processor.... I would feel better if I was at least over the 1ghz barrier....

peace out

Well, http://www.yourdailymac.com was wrong as expected. So no new powerbooks for now...lets hope for september. I was hoping to get a new powerbook this summer, but decided to wait for the next update...might be a while...sigh...

Lets just hope we don't have to wait until January!
(I have a bad feeling that I will...)

iErik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I noticed that on the education site, they're running a $100 savings on powerbooks that runs through Sept. 25th, so my guess is that the rumors of January might be right. :(
But that still leaves hope for the ibooks...

Regards,
Erik

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: New Powerbooks or iBooks?

Originally posted by iErik
I know that everyone is awaiting the new Power Macs tomorrow, but I'm curious for opinions on laptop updates. It sounds like the Powerbook will not be upgraded until MWSF :( So do you think we'll see an ibook upgrade before then? Afterall, how long can Apple convince the public that 600 and 700 Mhz G3s are adequate? I'm not saying ditch the G3s yet, but how about 800s and 1 Ghz G3s soon? Any thoughts--am I asking for too much?!?

Regards,
Erik

i think we will see minor speed bumps and larger hard drives...but that's all

ddr and a faster bus seem to be more likely for mwsf (and yet more speed bumps up to 1 ghz speed in january...i hope)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: Re: New Powerbooks or iBooks?

Originally posted by jefhatfield

ddr and a faster bus seem to be more likely for mwsf (and yet more speed bumps up to 1 ghz speed in january...i hope)

Just as long as its not a friggin' DDR hack like the new powermacs :)

So...you belonged to the time of the uncensored flame wars? That seemed such a long, long, long time ago...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.