Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
The ONLY way to close a tab in Safari one handed is by holding down the bottom right corner and hitting “close tab.” Right beneath that, however is the option to open a “new private tab.” It is almost impossible not to hit this at least once out of ever 5 times. You are then forced to exit “private browsing” mode which took a second to figure out and is not easily reversible even after learning how to exit. Not only is this a completely useless feature, why in the hell is it right on top of a frequently used one??

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The ONLY way to close a tab in Safari one handed is by holding down the bottom right corner and hitting “close tab.” Right beneath that, however is the option to open a “new private tab.” It is almost impossible not to hit this at least once out of ever 5 times. You are then forced to exit “private browsing” mode which took a second to figure out and is not easily reversible even after learning how to exit. Not only is this a completely useless feature, why in the hell is it right on top of a frequently used one??

Hyperbole much? I mean, really? When I first migrated to Apple from Android I had zero issues with Safari.

This sounds like much Ado about nothing.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Hyperbole much? I mean, really? When I first migrated to Apple from Android I had zero issues with Safari.

This sounds like much Ado about nothing.
Better than crap is not good
[automerge]1586652177[/automerge]
There's plenty of odd, strange, annoying behaviors and methods in iOS. Think of it more like a wild jungle full of annoyances and obstacles than a carefully manicured public garden

Very well put. The trouble I have with this is they pride themselves on being the best, and the epitome of user friendly, and they have all of the resources in the world at their disposal to make good on this promise but they always fall short. It is especially frustrating that autocorrect used to be amazing, it has gone progressively downhill and is so bad now it’s unusable.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Private mode is if you want to enter sites without them tracking you, it blocks cookies To track, history, and doesn’t store cache data from websites that are visited.

Depending on your activities some people may prefer this.

Naturally you can clear your own history cookies and cache manually.

Private mode just keeps it from happening in the first place.

The negative side is that sites don’t remember you and you have to re-login every time you visit and dosent store preferences.

Reactions: TH55

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There's plenty of odd, strange, annoying behaviors and methods in iOS. Think of it more like a wild jungle full of annoyances and obstacles than a carefully manicured public garden
Apple did some research and found that’s the way “people “ commonly wanted to use safari? File this under ymmv.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

i legit didn’t even know this was possible 🤣 I always open the overview and swipe the tab away 🤯 never occurred to me to long press on that button

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
I find it a useful feature and I've never pushed it by mistake, sounds like a you problem.

I actually find it quicker to close a tab one handed to just tap the button instead of hold it and the just swipe the tab to the left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.