Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I like the addition of the function keys and the larger trackpad, but it will be interesting to see - and use - what I assume will have to be smaller standard keys. Or am I missing something

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
They made design changes in how the hinge is made... having the iPad Pro pushed back slightly. And I think I seen a video claiming the dedicated keys might be hard to get to.
magic_keyboard.png

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
They made design changes in how the hinge is made... having the iPad Pro pushed back slightly. And I think I seen a video claiming the dedicated keys might be hard to get to.
View attachment 2376675
This pic does a great job of showing how much slimmer the new iPad is, looks kinda crazy! The MK also looks a bit thinner, hopefully the 13” + MK weighs substantially less than the M2.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
View attachment 2376675

The vertical element of the keyboard is also at a 90-degree angle, not tilted forward as with the earlier version. I wonder if it alters the stability much.

Reactions: Ludatyk

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Some hands-on reviewers noted that the function keys can be more difficult to reach because they are so far in the back. In the hands-on videos I also noticed the function keys were often obscured by the shadow of the iPad above it. But the other keys should have normal size, at least on the 13” (they are necessarily smaller on the 11”).

Reactions: AlexMac89

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
There was a lot of wasted space on the top of the old keyboard. Plenty of room for adding the function keys.

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I’m not too upset about function key row being a little covered up as I won’t be using that row often. I think the wrist rest area being aluminum is the biggest and nicest upgrade.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The vertical element of the keyboard is also at a 90-degree angle, not tilted forward as with the earlier version. I wonder if it alters the stability much.
Good point. But I'm more concerned with finding out why the old keyboard don't work with the newest iPad Pro... I'm glad Apple made a new keyboard for those that want those added features.

However, I don't like the idea that I'm forced to upgrade to it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Good point. But I'm more concerned with finding out why the old keyboard don't work with the newest iPad Pro... I'm glad Apple made a new keyboard for those that want those added features.

Yeah, that and Pencil 2 incompatibility.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
This pic does a great job of showing how much slimmer the new iPad is, looks kinda crazy! The MK also looks a bit thinner, hopefully the 13” + MK weighs substantially less than the M2.
The iPad Pro got thicker twice in the last few gens with the faceID design.

The original 2018 iPad Pro was 5.7, only 0.4mm thicker than 2024 iPad Pro

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

Yeah I'm not thrilled either. Gonna try it anyways and hope for the best before listing my old MKB on offerup or something. For all we know, it's compatible but just doesn't fit right.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah I'm not thrilled either. Gonna try it anyways and hope for the best before listing my old MKB on offerup or something. For all we know, it's compatible but just doesn't fit right.

It wouldn't take much offset to make the Smart Connector contacts not match up, rendering it unusable.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, that and Pencil 2 incompatibility.
I'm kind of torn on that one.

Because I think the Pencil 2 incompatibility is understandable given how Apple had to move the camera in that area where it charges. The Pencil 2 doesn't work with any of the iPads that have the updated landscape camera... so, I can excuse them for that.

And factoring the price difference $130 vs $350... that's not bad. And I'd argue the Pencil Pro has more meaningful changes to it... well, that's if the user is into anything related to art or design. But the newest iPad Pro incompatible for the old keyboard... I'm genuinely confused by it.

It's a 3-pin connector (was expecting four), so no change there. iPad Pro being lighter is not an excuse... I know there's a change in size. But does that really cause issues with incompatibility? The only explanation I can conclude is that it's a money grab.

Oh, I'm certainly going to attempt it as well.

• Angry

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I'm kind of torn on that one.

Because I think the Pencil 2 incompatibility is understandable given how Apple had to move the camera in that area where it charges. The Pencil 2 doesn't work with any of the iPads that have the updated landscape camera... so, I can excuse them for that.

And factoring the price difference $130 vs $350... that's not bad. And I'd argue the Pencil Pro has more meaningful changes to it... well, that's if the user is into anything related to art or design. But the newest iPad Pro incompatible for the old keyboard... I'm genuinely confused by it.

It's a 3-pin connector (was expecting four), so no change there. iPad Pro being lighter is not an excuse... I know there's a change in size. But does that really cause issues with incompatibility? The only explanation I can conclude is that it's a money grab.

Oh, I'm certainly going to attempt it as well.

The 2024 13" is 280.6 x 214.9 x 6.4 mm; the 2022 12.9" is 281.6 x 215.5 x 5.1 mm, probably just enough for the contacts not to match up if Apple didn't explicitly adjust the location - which Apple could have done to maintain compatibility. I imagine the profit margin on the MKB is significant.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The 2024 13" is 280.6 x 214.9 x 6.4 mm; the 2022 12.9" is 281.6 x 215.5 x 5.1 mm, probably just enough for the contacts not to match up if Apple didn't explicitly adjust the location - which Apple could have done to maintain compatibility. I imagine the profit margin on the MKB is significant.
Don’t forget the camera bump cutout. They could theoretically have kept both camera bump and Smart Connector in the same relative place, but that would have lead to an asymmetric layout relative to the new frame, and Apple just can’t have that aesthetically. Same for having a larger cutout and contacts that accommodate both old and new models.

Reactions: sparksd

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
The keys are backlit but there are no function keys to control their brightness? How do you change it then?

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
The iPad Pro got thicker twice in the last few gens with the faceID design.

The original 2018 iPad Pro was 5.7, only 0.4mm thicker than 2024 iPad Pro
The 12.9” was 5.9mm thick, which is 0.8mm thicker than the M4 13” IPP (5.1mm). That’s pretty significant.

Reactions: klasma and lars666

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019

The old keyboard won’t work because the new iPad is significantly thinner. There would be a gap in the fully closed position.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The old keyboard won’t work because the new iPad is significantly thinner. There would be a gap in the fully closed position.
If it won't close properly, I can absolutely live with that. My only interest is that the old keyboard is functional.

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.