Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyblobby

macrumors member
May 25, 2003
Aus, Sydney
iSub

I noticed people were saying that they wanted Apples new speaker system to be 2.1/contain a sub-woofer.

They may have relized this already but there is the iSub that goes with the iSticks. and it rules.

In the same style as the sticks with a big tube in the top. Has Real good sound, bassy as i want anyway.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Just thinking out loud, I'm not claiming this to be true or even feasible, just thought's for the rumor mill.

FW800 Apple Pro Speakers?

Why? Well, using my iMic for audio in/out really cleans up the sound so I suspect that firewire would provide a similar advantage to USB.

Furthermore FW could provide additional power to the speaker system.

FW800 - I KNOW there's no reason for it but it would sure limit it to the PowerMacs and PB17 (and presumably the new PB15 as well).

Plus it would give those of us w/a FW800 port something to do with it. :)

The last possible advantage is that you could daisy chain your external HD's to your sub and keep it all out of sight.

Random thoughts.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Stupid post, please ignore.

I'm hoping for a Bluetooth speaker system, even though I know BT doesn't nearly have the kind of bandwidth that can guarantee a continuous, high quality audio stream to (at least) three speakers (2.1).

:rolleyes:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Stupid post, please ignore.

Originally posted by Bengt77
I'm hoping for a Bluetooth speaker system, even though I know BT doesn't nearly have the kind of bandwidth that can guarantee a continuous, high quality audio stream to (at least) three speakers (2.1).

:rolleyes:

I would say. In all reality 802.11b doesn't even carry enough bandwidth at about 5Mb/s real world througput.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
I was thinking about buying JBL's Creature speakers for my little 12" powerbook...Or would the iSub and soundstick suffice?....BTW, Glad I read this.I didn't know you WOULD not want to connect the pro speakers to your powerbook because it will fry the jack! Thanks for letting that out...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
I was thinking about buying JBL's Creature speakers for my little 12" powerbook...Or would the iSub and soundstick suffice?....BTW, Glad I read this.I didn't know you WOULD not want to connect the pro speakers to your powerbook because it will fry the jack! Thanks for letting that out...

Pro Speakers will not even connect to a computer that doesn't have the pro speaker output jack. It was a theoritcal thing that it would fry the computer if you could connect them.

The iSub and Soundsticks are the better way to go but last time I looked they were still twice the price of the Creatures Speakers. The Creature speakers on the other hand are by no means terrible. I had a listen to them last weekend at the 'Sharper Image' store in Seattle. They sounded quite nice. Though it was to noisey for me to get real pickly and apply an audiophile ear to them.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
My buddy bought a new iMac with the Pro Speakers and added an iSub and the set up works quite well. I guess people do not realize that the iSub is available as a stand alone (without Sound Sticks) USB model to go with the standard Pro Speakers. If you want more bass, but want the Pro Speakers, I would think the iSub would be your best option. I have used my iSub with my standard built in speakers on my iMac DV since I bought it and have always enjoyed pretty decent sound. I notice on Apple's on-line store they say it will only work on the iMac DV's, Digital Audio G4's, etc, but that has to be old information that was never updated, because it works just fine on my friends iMac G4.

I bought a pair of Bose MediaMates for my iBook and love them. No subwoofer means less bass, but the clarity of the speakers blows me away every time I listen to them. Some Bose products are overrated (for the price), but the MediaMates are a great 2 speaker system for $99.

jonnyblobby

macrumors member
May 25, 2003
Aus, Sydney
Real Power

If you wants some real power to play out those iTunes, then you'll want what I got hooked upto my Firewire 800 G4.

QSC MX 1500a Pro Audio Amp, running 2 x EV S-152 Stage Speakers

hehe, 400watts of power at 8ohms on 15" woofers.

--------------BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM--------------

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.