Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Hi,

I own an Audi car with the latest MMI multimedia system available to date and I use Bluetooth to listen music from my iPhone X (Apple Music). Before that I was using an iPhone 7 Plus.

The thing is... before iOS 11 I was able to scroll through the queue, in the now playing view, to choose and play another song. Now I can't. The only song available in that list is the current one playing. However, I still can press next/previous buttons to switch music. I just don't have access to the list of songs.

Is this happening with anybody else? I'm pretty sure this started to happen after the upgrade to iOS 11 but I'm not 100% sure.

A few notes:
- if I connect the iPhone with the USB cable and play music through it, the list of songs is available without issues. That's why I suspect Bluetooth to be the cause...
- The MMI system has not been updated since I got the car (and there's no update available, in fact) so there's nothing different here.
- I already tried to unpair the iPhone and pair it again, nothing changes.

Thanks for your help

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,

I own an Audi car with the latest MMI multimedia system available to date and I use Bluetooth to listen music from my iPhone X (Apple Music). Before that I was using an iPhone 7 Plus.

The thing is... before iOS 11 I was able to scroll through the queue, in the now playing view, to choose and play another song. Now I can't. The only song available in that list is the current one playing. However, I still can press next/previous buttons to switch music. I just don't have access to the list of songs.

Is this happening with anybody else? I'm pretty sure this started to happen after the upgrade to iOS 11 but I'm not 100% sure.

A few notes:
- if I connect the iPhone with the USB cable and play music through it, the list of songs is available without issues. That's why I suspect Bluetooth to be the cause...
- The MMI system has not been updated since I got the car (and there's no update available, in fact) so there's nothing different here.

Thanks for your help
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios11-not-working-with-audi-mmi.2069983/

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Thank you but unfortunately there is no answer in that thread for this specific problem. One guy had the same issue but no solution...

Reactions: EM2013

B.Morgan

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2018
Hi,

A few notes:

Thanks for your help

I have the same problem with a Audi A3 2017 since the update. I'll try to call apple

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Thanks!

So I'm not the only one but there's no known solution. Let's hope Apple fixes it in further iOS versions...

mjrkjm1

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2018
I am also having this issue. Multiple Audi vehicles (both 2018). The issue is only over bluetooth, not USB. I'd prefer not to have to plug my phone in. Worked fine with my previous vehicles.

brsedu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I have the same exact problem in my 2017 A4 w/MMI, after updating to the most recent iOS on my iPhone 7, I cannot access the music menus.

However, a solution that I found works much of the time is:

While playing the current song via bluetooth press the "menu" button on the MMI. Scroll through media options until you get to bluetooth, and it should show name of device and music file structure. From there you can browse like normal.

Not an ideal solution. I find asking Siri to play a specific album or song is less tedious.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I have an older 2013 A6, and with that the MMI could never access the music folders with bluetooth, only the forward and next buttons have ever worked. I also find Siri to be the best option when I want to change what I'm listening to.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Hi everybody!

It seems that Apple fixed the problem on iOS 12. I updated my iPhone and now I can scroll again trough music list in the MMI. It was about time, finally!

Does it works for you too? Please give your feedback!

Duncan200

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
Hi,

A few notes:

Thanks for your help

Hi Squillace,

I’m having a similar issue with my B9 S4 since updating to IOS 12 on an iPhone 6. But mine is behaving exactly opposite to yours.

Used to work perfectly on iOS 11 now when I select a playlist it says it contains no playable files. If I select the list on the phone whilst plugged in with USB it will play the playlist but only display the current song and I cannot scroll through the songs. I can skip forward via the steering wheel to the next song ok, but it only displays one song at a time

If I connect via Bluetooth it works ok, but I can’t charge the phone. It will work perfectly with CarPlay but I have a work phone that needs to be connected via Bluetooth as I use my 6 for music. I’ve tried everything the various forums have suggested to no avail.

If I plug my 8 in which is my work phone it works the same playlists perfectly. Hopefully there’s an update to the MMI from Audi to resolve this when it’s in for service next month.

Just giving some feedback and I’ll report if Audi manage to fix it next month.

Cheers Duncan

Nanni

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
Same as Duncan here: Audi q5 2018 with MMI touch and virtual cockpit, using iphone X
When connected through Car Play Apple music works perfectly, but I'd rather use MMi so to leverage the VC.
When connected through usb cable with no car play it is recognized as an ipod, but: 1) Apple music playlists are not loaded (folder empty) 2) Other playlists just display the current song 3) Artist/Album selection is working but it will randomly mess up song titles while playing

Hi Squillace,

I’m having a similar issue with my B9 S4 since updating to IOS 12 on an iPhone 6. But mine is behaving exactly opposite to yours.

Used to work perfectly on iOS 11 now when I select a playlist it says it contains no playable files. If I select the list on the phone whilst plugged in with USB it will play the playlist but only display the current song and I cannot scroll through the songs. I can skip forward via the steering wheel to the next song ok, but it only displays one song at a time

If I connect via Bluetooth it works ok, but I can’t charge the phone. It will work perfectly with CarPlay but I have a work phone that needs to be connected via Bluetooth as I use my 6 for music. I’ve tried everything the various forums have suggested to no avail.

If I plug my 8 in which is my work phone it works the same playlists perfectly. Hopefully there’s an update to the MMI from Audi to resolve this when it’s in for service next month.

Just giving some feedback and I’ll report if Audi manage to fix it next month.

Cheers Duncan

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
NEW PROBLEM!

So, I'm pretty sure a new problem appeared with, probably iOS 12.1

Randomly, a list of songs (I don't know how many... maybe 20 or 30 or more) loose their title/name in the main MMI screen and in the Virtual Cockpit I get "File" instead of the song info. Everything else works fine, I can play the next one, go back, etc. I just don't have the song info. Like this:

File
File
File
File
File
File

If I close the Music app in the iPhone and then start playing again (in shuffle mode, as I usually do) then the problem goes away. But it comes back later...

Anyone experiencing the same?

P.S. - @Duncan200 I honestly never tried to navigate/explore/play my library through the MMI itself. It's much slower than using the iPhone. If you want to go back one level it takes you straight to the root of the media library, you can't play directly in shuffle mode... I quit using it. Appart of that, everything works ok trough Bluetooth or USB.

Duncan200

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
@Squillace

It is a work around using your phone but road laws in Australia prevent us from touching the phone while driving and my phone lives in the centre console under the armrest.

It’s booked in to Audi for a service early next month, I’ll report back if they are able to fix it.

NEW PROBLEM!

So, I'm pretty sure a new problem appeared with, probably iOS 12.1

Randomly, a list of songs (I don't know how many... maybe 20 or 30 or more) loose their title/name in the main MMI screen and in the Virtual Cockpit I get "File" instead of the song info. Everything else works fine, I can play the next one, go back, etc. I just don't have the song info. Like this:

File
File
File
File
File
File

If I close the Music app in the iPhone and then start playing again (in shuffle mode, as I usually do) then the problem goes away. But it comes back later...

Anyone experiencing the same?

P.S. - @Duncan200 I honestly never tried to navigate/explore/play my library through the MMI itself. It's much slower than using the iPhone. If you want to go back one level it takes you straight to the root of the media library, you can't play directly in shuffle mode... I quit using it. Appart of that, everything works ok trough Bluetooth or USB.

howardd

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
I also had this problem. Sometimes it would work perfectly, other times it would only display the current song with no queue. It happened on both bluetooth and via cable.

I just took my 2018 Q5 into 10K service and asked them about it. They ran all the tests and couldn't find anything. They did however try a hard reset of the system, thinking it would clear up memory space. I'll have to redo my addresses, sync my phone etc., but that's minor. So far it's worked.

Duncan200

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
I also had this problem. Sometimes it would work perfectly, other times it would only display the current song with no queue. It happened on both bluetooth and via cable.

I just took my 2018 Q5 into 10K service and asked them about it. They ran all the tests and couldn't find anything. They did however try a hard reset of the system, thinking it would clear up memory space. I'll have to redo my addresses, sync my phone etc., but that's minor. So far it's worked.
[doublepost=1553065096][/doublepost]Hi Guys,

Late post but an update to the situation. After the Audi service it is no different, they’ve told me they’ve logged the issue with Audi Australia but coming on to 3 months I haven’t heard anything.

The unit now seems to be temperamental, sometimes it will work perfectly, other times it will say the folder contains no playable files. Will be updating to iOS 12.1.4 tonight and seeing if that makes a difference.

jpickus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2019
Hi,

A few notes:

Thanks for your help

I am also having the exact same problem. For me it the problem started just a few weeks ago and I am running ios 12.3.1. I have an audi 2018 a5 that I purchased new in dec 2018.

ramzimans

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
Same issue, Album Art OK through USB but NOT through Bluetooth. (Audi Q5, 2019 / iPhone 6s / iOS 13.3)

OSM22

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2022
Same issue with my Audi 2016 TTS. The media player went down in stages, first only the bluetooth, then the cable too. Phone and GPS still work. The Audi dealership had no idea what the issue might be and suggested it was an Apple problem. I have the latest iOS upgrades but that has not worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.