Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
here
There's a process in my Activity Monitor called "com.apple.PhotoIngestService". It currently uses 411.4 MB of RAM, and has done so for the past 24 hours. Another process called "com.apple.ICPPhotoStreamLibraryService" has consistently stayed at 240.9 MB. Both processes were extremely active for about 30 minutes after I installed Yosemite, which along with their names, leads me to believe they're related to the new way that iCloud handles photos. A Google search for those processes turned up absolutely nothing so I'm wondering if anybody here can confirm my suspicions. It's not a huge concern, I'm just curious.

TheoRieken

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
same thing ...

Hey there ... I've installed Yosemite as well and im dealing with the same weird process. I guess you're right - it probably has something to do with it. My MacBook Air is powered to the limit to deal with that task - I hope it's not continuing that ... :)

----------

Also, there is another process going on all the time which is called "photolibraryd" - do you know what that is about? It is taking up even more space from my ram (about 2-3 Gigs usually) and is going for ever since I installed Yosemite ...

Does anybody else have any ideas what those processes are about? ...

cheers

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I saw the same thing. I've only installed it on my secondary laptop for now (a 5-year-old Macbook Pro) and those background processes aren't leaving much leftover for doing other things.

TheoRieken

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
done now ...

Well my MacBook Air just finished that unkown, weird process ... Everything is working smoothly and nice! Yosemite just kills my battery for now. That process just ate half of my juice hahaha ;)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
here
I tried to Google "photolibraryd" and came back with nothing. That said, a restart took that process from a little over 200 MB all the way down to 28 MB. The "com.apple.ICPPhotoStreamLibraryService" process is now at a much more reasonable 13 MB, and the "com.apple.PhotoIngestService" process is nowhere to be found. There's also a couple of other seemingly related processes taking up small amounts of RAM. All in all, these processes seem to just do their job and get out of the way, even if they tend to be RAM hogs. Good thing a restart can fix that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.