Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogers106

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Vermont
Hey all,
I have a new project I need some help with... it involves installing an iPhone 3G cradle/dock (with no-interference audio capabilities and battery charging) in two of my cars. The automobiles in question are a 2003 Honda Civic LX and a 2007 Toyota Corolla S. Neither of these cars feature an iPod link or AUX input, so I understand that this will be a fair amount of work and money.

I have done some Google-ing and haven't found much more than a few spotty (at best), incomplete instructions. I'm looking more solid guidance from the fine folks here at MacRumors--odds are, someone has embarked on a similar project and I'd love to hear if there is any advice or tips that people can offer.

Thanks in advance!

watanabe8

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
I have been extremely happy with the USA Spec PA11-CHR Ipod Interface for my Chrysler Pacifica. I was tired of the FM modulators not always working. This plugs directly into my factory radio din port? This cord charges, plays as a ipod even works with my steering wheel controls. Playlists are supported as well. Since it has a extra set of RCA inputs, I added a 3.5mm port inside my center console. That way any a/v device with a headphone jack can plug in and it would play through the stereo. I was able to find the Ipod Interface at a local shop in AZ for $129. Just make sure its the latest model that supports the iPhone 3G and up. It needs a 5v charge compared to the older ipods.

They make the same device for the Toyota Corolla.
http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=17

For the Honda its this one
http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=28
If you have the external CD changer you will have to unplug that to plug in device.

Crutchfield.com also sells these and offers excellent tech help. As well as great customer service.

If you find one cheaper than the $130 price tag, and install it to find it has the non 3G cord, you can call USA Spec direct and order just the cord through them. It costs under $20 with the shipping.

Set up was a snap. Installed the whole setup in under a hour. Including a Bracketron cradle to hold my iPhone 3GS.

Last note: The only con i have about it. There is a slight delay when changing songs or plugging in at first. Compared to the immediate recognition of my fm modulator. But the sound quality totally outweighs this as well as the fact i don't have to plug it into a cigarette lighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.