Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noht*

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
* hidden between worlds
hope this hasn't been posted before, as it's already 4 days old news...

penguinppc, the official site of the linux-ppc port, has an interesting entry in their news log:

An interesting email appeared on the gcc patches list: powerpc64-linux altivec support. Combine this news with the upcoming microprocessor forum news and you could come up with some interesting conclusions.

the site appears to be offline at the moment, so you'll have to use the google archive.

what do you think?

noht

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That may mean that IBM is ready to start supporting early development of the PowerPPC 4 to replace the low end of the RS/6000 workstation lines.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its all going to come down to the *announcement* in October by IBM - I really hope its something good for Apple.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Ooh, I'm getting that cool feeling inside when you know that within a year, Apple will be moping the floors with the x86 platform...

Apple's ready, We're ready, Now, it's time for IBM to put out some serious kick @$$ hardware...

noht*

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
* hidden between worlds
Says RS/6000.

yeah, but so what?

afaik rs/6000 was a server line at ibm which was rebranded the pSeries some two years ago...but they did/do use ppc processors of various flavors.

what i see from this message is that this patch enables altivec support on the powerpc64 target of the linux64 build of gcc, so if you happen to have a 64-bit powerpc with altivec, try to compile it on your box.

anyway, this might be completly wrong, just trying to show my pov.

noht

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.