Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Greetings everyone!

I recently acquired a Quicksilver Power Mac G4, running 10.4.11. It's my first tower Mac and I need some help, so I decided to register here.

Question no. 1: The board on this Mac is from a 733Mhz 2001 Quicksilver, but it has the 1Ghz DP chip from 2002 installed (detects L3 cache no problem). I've read that this chip needs a special, bigger heatsink, but I'm unsure if mine is the right one. I've attached a picture of it to the post.

Question no. 2: The speaker cone was dented on this tower. I removed it, straightened it, and glued it back.
Still, it sounds distorted. It is particularly noticeable when the startup chime is played. Do I have a broken speaker or am I missing something? I've also attached a compressed recording of the startup chime to this post.

Final question: Has anyone tried connecting a Mac with the original 802.11b AirPort Card to the 802.11ac Time Capsule? I can't, with WPA/WPA2 or even with all network security disabled.

Best regards and keep on PowerPCing!

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPEG
    IMG_0363.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 481
  • Startup chime.mp3.zip
    109.7 KB · Views: 288

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1. Can't answer about the heatsink. My QS came with a Sonnet and a Sonnet dual replaced it.
2. You can always replaced the speaker on eBay for cheap.
3. You can connect to WPA, but you need TKIP security. You can't use AES.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I'll be replacing the speaker and getting a PCI Wi-Fi card since my 1st gen AirPort card is either malfunctioning or incompatible with AC routers.

I'm still unsure about the heatsink.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Yep, that's the correct heatsink. Attached is a photo of mine - identical setup as yours, when I installed the DP1ghz Dcard & heatsink into the single 733mhz QS.

IMG_0895.JPG

FYI, the fan is aftermarket (salvaged off an old HDD cooler lol). The QS runs just fine without it.

As far as the speaker, it sounds pretty normal to me (kinda hard to tell with the MP3 quality). Anyhow, I've always thought the g4 pm towers sounded a little distorted but iirc you can adjust down the output volume in sys preferences>sound to where the chime is not overdriving & clipping that tiny 17yr old speaker. That or just buy a new one per Erik.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Yep, that's the correct heatsink. Attached is a photo of mine - identical setup as yours, when I installed the DP1ghz Dcard & heatsink into the single 733mhz QS.

View attachment 715508

FYI, the fan is aftermarket (salvaged off an old HDD cooler lol). The QS runs just fine without it.

As far as the speaker, it sounds pretty normal to me (kinda hard to tell with the MP3 quality). Anyhow, I've always thought the g4 pm towers sounded a little distorted but iirc you can adjust down the output volume in sys preferences>sound to where the chime is not overdriving & clipping that tiny 17yr old speaker. That or just buy a new one per Erik.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the info!

I actually managed to fix the speaker. The rubber membrane around it had separated from the plastic so I glued it with all-purpose glue, then a few tears in the speaker cone got covered with electrical tape. The startup chime sounds great now.

I want to remove the heatsink for cleaning, but I'm unsure if these have any thermal compound/paste.
Even if they don't, is it worth it adding some?

Reactions: CooperBox

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Thanks for the info!

I actually managed to fix the speaker. The rubber membrane around it had separated from the plastic so I glued it with all-purpose glue, then a few tears in the speaker cone got covered with electrical tape. The startup chime sounds great now.

I want to remove the heatsink for cleaning, but I'm unsure if these have any thermal compound/paste.
Even if they don't, is it worth it adding some?

Yes, there is thermal paste under there & it's probably pretty old. IMHO it's worth a good clean & repaste. IIRC I used Arctic Silver 5 on mine after cleaning everything up with rubbing alcohol. A little dollop on each CPU, seat the heatsink, install clamps & that was that.

FYI: For damaged speakers, I've had great success using a dries-flexible rubber cement along the collar & said cement in between tiny squares of single layer tissue paper for cone damage.

Good luck.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Yes, there is thermal paste under there & it's probably pretty old. IMHO it's worth a good clean & repaste. IIRC I used Arctic Silver 5 on mine after cleaning everything up with rubbing alcohol. A little dollop on each CPU, seat the heatsink, install clamps & that was that.

FYI: For damaged speakers, I've had great success using a dries-flexible rubber cement along the collar & said cement in between tiny squares of single layer tissue paper for cone damage.

Good luck.

I'll be getting some thermal paste soon.
I have a few other Macs around, after how long should thermal paste be replaced? Apple doesn't really mention that.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I'll be getting some thermal paste soon.
I have a few other Macs around, after how long should thermal paste be replaced? Apple doesn't really mention that.

I typically replace it every time I have the heatsink off. I take the heatsink off on all "new" old macs I get for cleaning but aside from that hardly ever. If it's thermal tape say on a gpu, that junk is useless and turns to goo relatively quickly so I'm replacing that more frequently - every other year or so for a regularly used machine.

Last edited:

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
I typically replace it every time I have the heatsink off. I take the heatsink off on all "new" old macs I get for cleaning but aside from that hardly ever. If it's thermal tape say on a gpu, that junk is useless and turns to goo relatively quickly so I'm replacing that more frequently - every other year or so for a regularly used machine.

Thanks for your and @eyoungren's help and replies.

I'll be replacing the thermal paste soon and getting a wireless N bridge so I can get online on OS 9 too. After testing I'll post here about it.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Greetings everyone,

I haven't replaced this guy's thermal paste yet, but the wireless bridge has arrived. It's a Vonets VAP11N.

IMG_1535.jpg
It came in an oddly inspirational box...

IMG_1534.jpg

It's a very small unit, comparable to Apple's 5W USB Power Adapter (shipped with iPhone and Watch) but of course thinner. Was powered by any USB port I connected it to, even the USB 1.1 ports on the back of my Quicksilver.

Setup is pretty self-explanatory, but keep in mind it will only connect to a wireless network with no spaces in its name (accentuation not great either).
I thought mine was faulty or incompatible with my router at first but it now works. I didn't test the repeater function.

Connection: it doesn't hit the advertised wireless N speed (300Mbps), it's also not dual band; but for my use it was a great deal (just 11€).
I've been using my G4 far away from the router and it still gets a signal: it's not fast (file downloads are a bit slow) but I could actually browse the forums on Classilla just fine.
I assume a more expensive bridge from the likes of Linksys or Netgear or an AirPort Express would be better though.

If you're planning to do serious Internet use or your G4 is your main machine, go for a Wi-Fi card.
If you're looking for decent, USB-powered wireless connectivity on OS 9, go for this one. Wireless N version definitely recommended.
It should also be useful in connecting even older Macs (68K?) to the Internet.
[doublepost=1509218656][/doublepost]Right now I'm wondering how to clean and lubricate the fan in my Quicksilver's PSU.
On the back of these there are two screws, do I just remove them and the fan will be underneath?
It's been off for almost 24 hours, any danger of electric discharge/shock if I do it?
Any precautions?

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Hmm, I’ve not taken the PSU out of my QS yet - just sucked the visible dust out of the back of it but I have worked on some of my other vintage computer PSUs. If I’m doing that, my process for discharging the caps is as follows:

1. Turn it off n make sure you’re grounded.
2. Unplug the box.
3. Hit the power button a few times.

This drains the caps so you don’t get a nasty buzz. Regardless of how long the PSU may be sitting around, I do this anyways To avoid shock/damage.

In regards to fans, if the fan is ok but just a bit noisy, I use PTFE lubricant. A lot of folks swear by sewing machine oil. I think both work well.

If the fan is really loud or jamming up, lubricant can temporarily fix it but I’d just replace the fan altogether - cheap insurance vs a failing PSU that could break other components in your box.

Good luck.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Right now I'm wondering how to clean and lubricate the fan in my Quicksilver's PSU.
On the back of these there are two screws, do I just remove them and the fan will be underneath?
It's been off for almost 24 hours, any danger of electric discharge/shock if I do it?
Any precautions?
You have to remove the PSU, then remove the top of the PSU itself. Then you have to remove the fan screws.

Since it's a PSU it's got a lot of nasty looking wires and insulation in there and getting around inside it is a stiff business because these aren't designed to be user serviceable.

Just be gentle and you should be ok.

@RhianB suggests pressing the power button a few times. I think a slightly better option would be to press and hold it for 10 seconds.

I have swapped the fan in my QS PSU for a better one and I can honestly say it was one of the more distubing things I've done in the sense that it makes you aware you are mortal.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Well, you scared me a bit... :)
Although I have done some searching and it seems that, if left for a few days to discharge, they are harmless when handled with care.
I'll just be removing the fan, lubricating it, and then putting it back in after a few hours.
Is the fan attached by screws @eyoungren? How hard is it to remove?

Just another note: I do not have any kind of grounding equipment (wristbands, etc...), is it needed?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, you scared me a bit... :)
Although I have done some searching and it seems that, if left for a few days to discharge, they are harmless when handled with care.
I'll just be removing the fan, lubricating it, and then putting it back in after a few hours.
Is the fan attached by screws @eyoungren? How hard is it to remove?

Just another note: I do not have any kind of grounding equipment (wristbands, etc...), is it needed?
It's the typical four screws for an 80mm fan.

When I replaced mine, I cut the wires and spliced the new fan in. Trying to get the old connector off the post it was on was not going to work without damaging things.

Since you are just taking the fan out to lubricate it that's something you won't have to decide on.

Grounding equipment is always good, but as long as you discharge it before starting you should be fine.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Greetings everyone!

I followed your instructions @RhianB and @eyoungren and cleaned and lubricated my PSU fan.
It made an amazing difference, my Quicksilver is significantly quieter now.

While I had it disassembled I also replaced the thermal paste with some new Cooler Master HTK-002.

It seems my Quicksilver restoration odyssey is pretty much complete. Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread!
Quicksilvers are great.

Alex Mew

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Apologies, this isn’t exactly the right thread, but now I can’t even find the ones I was looking at so thought I would wave a flag at some G4 tower people. I think mine is a Quicksilver. Have had it since it came out.

Basically, I am not computer savvy enough to go further without probably destroying it - any poiters regarding the below issues or anyone who is a fixer in Edinburgh, Scotland?

My HD icons disappeared after I replaced PRAM battery. Will not turn off without manual switch ( but it had been doing that for a few weeks before replacing battery) Did complete back up of everything to external drive thinking was just too clogged ( did take all night)

Have done apple/alt/P/R but there is no start chime to do it to so guesswork on timing.

Force quit does not work in finder.

Apple tool bar at top completely missing unless I open an app - all open and work including TenFourFox for net, except for Money accounting app. Can open HDdisks via a search on tool bar if I make it appear.

Really don’t know what I am doing anymore, but I love my computer - please be kind and help if you can!

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Hi Alex. Long live the mighty Quicksilver! :)

Try these possibilities.

1.) Update OSX. Make sure everything is as up-to-date as possible.
2.) Run disk utility & check your boot drive. If there are any errors, click repair disk.
3.) Re-install OSX & restore your files/apps from your timemachine backup.

As for your hard drive icons, go to finder in the upper left, click on preferences & make sure the show HDD, external hdd, CD/DVD/IPod boxes are ticked.

6FD1FC70-A271-489A-87AD-DBE676279ABB.jpeg

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.