Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpflugner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
For Christmas I was given a new 1GB ram card for my powerbook. In ordering this ram I made sure that it was compatible with my powerbook. After installation I started having problems with my computer locking up when I would click on a link or opening up a program. Could the new ram be causing this? If so is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

Ryan

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
rpflugner said:
For Christmas I was given a new 1GB ram card for my powerbook. In ordering this ram I made sure that it was compatible with my powerbook. After installation I started having problems with my computer locking up when I would click on a link or opening up a program. Could the new ram be causing this? If so is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

Ryan

What kind of RAM is it (Crucial, Kingston, Apple, etc.)? Did you install the 1GB stick into slot 1 or slot 2? Have you checked to make sure both sticks are seated properly (you should see little or none of the copper contacts when you open up the face panel as they should be down into the slots)?

Yes, it could be a problem with the RAM but make sure that both are seated properly first.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Well I hope this was resolved given your one post and subsequent disappearance from the forums! :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Seasought said:
Well I hope this was resolved given your one post and subsequent disappearance from the forums! :D

Maybe the computer exploded. :(

Sounds like bad RAM. Macs are more susceptible to small faults in RAM sticks. Get a replacement. :)

rpflugner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Thanks for the replies, fortunately my computer has not exploded yet. What I can tell you about the RAM is Premium MRD HyperVelocity DDR333 PC2700 modules. I bought it off of macramdirect.com

I installed it in the most superficial slot(not sure if that is 1 or 2) and yes I checked to make sure that it was seated properly.

umrdad

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
is it still the same?

not sure about modern macs but several years ago it made a HUGE difference the exact style of RAM and what slot it could be in, of course you could call tech support (if you can stand the smell of curry on the other end of the line) tell 'em your name is Roy D. Mercer and you're gonna RAM that 1 gig @ hypervelocity up their ass . . . . let us know how that works for you

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
rpflugner said:
Thanks for the replies, fortunately my computer has not exploded yet. What I can tell you about the RAM is Premium MRD HyperVelocity DDR333 PC2700 modules. I bought it off of macramdirect.com

I installed it in the most superficial slot(not sure if that is 1 or 2) and yes I checked to make sure that it was seated properly.

Is this the newest model of Powerbook? I'm thinking no as I believe I saw this type of RAM for the previous (or perhaps earlier) Powerbook revisions.

Have you tried installing only the new RAM to see if things work ok? Have you tried only installing your original RAM to see if things work ok? Once you've tried this you'll have a better idea of whether or not you have bad RAM.

I assume the information regarding the RAM type is what is suggested for your particular revision of Powerbook, correct?

My gut feeling is that it's not going to work based on similar experiences I've had with bad sticks/incorrect types of RAM when upgrading Windows-based machines. Let me know what your findings are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.