Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysquestions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Dear Community,

I recently purchased this RAM (I'm sure it's supposed to be compatible) from OWC and tried to install the two new RAM modules in my mac, but encountered this problem:

I removed the old RAM fine, but when I tried to insert the new modules, I couldn't quite get them to fit as far in as the old ones had been. They seem to be sticking out about 2-3mm farther than they should be. I know that I put them in with the correct orientation (notch on the left, metal pins facing inward, just like the old ones came out). I tried every sort of wiggling, maneuvering, pressure, etc., to get them to "click" or "lock" in, but to no success. I did a visual comparison, and the new RAM is identical to the old in size, shape, & pin count.

I thought, "whatever", and tried to put the L-bracket back over the RAM slots, but it wouldn't fit right because the RAM was sticking out too far. I forced it anyway and was somehow able to fit the battery back in, although it bulged out very slightly because the L-bracket was bulging out as well.

I also replaced the hard drive with a brand new one (no problems) and inserted the osx disk then started up the macbook. It immediately sucked in the osx disk and it started spinning exactly as it should, but the screen was totally black and the computer beeped loudly once every 5 seconds (which means that it is not reading any RAM, according to the mac error codes).

I tried putting the old RAM back in and had the EXACT same problem!!! :eek: I tried booting up with one RAM at a time in each slot, but it kept beeping and not powering up the screen every time because the RAM would never fit right. I used a flashlight to see if there was anything obstructing the RAM from entering, but I couldn't see anything problematic (though my view was limited).

:confused: What the heck????!!!!! Why can't I fit the RAM back in my mackbook??? I've heard of a couple people who couldn't fit it, but then pushed a little harder and it popped in correctly. But I've pushed it as hard as is feasible, short of using a sledge hammer, hopefully without damaging anything. Any ideas???

This is my mac:
-Apple MacBook 5,2 2.0GHz "White" (13.3-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo, "nVidia Graphics") Early 2009, Intel Core 2 Duo
-RAM: PC5300 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200-Pin

Last edited:

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Have you looked to make sure nothing has fallen in the ram slot whilst swapping the RAM that is physically blocking it? Also, have a good look at the connectors of both the old and new RAm sticks and the slots themselves to make sure there is no damage

jaysquestions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Wow,
I wasn't expecting such quick response!!!

Yes, I have checked as thoroughly as I possibly could to make sure that nothing whatsoever appears to be blocking the RAM slot. Everything looks fine.

And I've tried pushing it VERY hard but it shows no sign of going any further. Believe me, no electronic component should be pushed harder than I was trying to push that mo fo. And GET THIS:

I held both the old RAM and the new RAM up to the light (after trying to insert them several times) and I could see that on BOTH the old and the new RAM pins there was the subtle & barely perceptible scratch marks on the pins indicating that they have slid over the pins in the macbook....and they are exactly the same length....meaning that the same amount of electrode contact is being made now as was made before I ever removed the originals.

I noticed that there was a very slight amount of white powder stuck onto the metal pins that looks like corrosion but that most people say is just the anti-corrosive grease Apple puts on the ram from the factory.

So....what does all this mean? At this point, given the evidence, I see only two possibilities:

1. My mac is broken somehow and not reading RAM anymore.
2. Somehow all four of my RAM sticks are dead, new and old alike.

Sigh..... FML

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
How are you putting them in. They're supposed to go in diagonally (at about a 45 degree angle to the memory slots and then you're supposed to push the top down to lock it in place. Are you doing this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How are you putting them in. They're supposed to go in diagonally (at about a 45 degree angle to the memory slots and then you're supposed to push the top down to lock it in place. Are you doing this?

This is a plastic Macbook that has its ram upgraded via the battery compartment, not a unibody one that hasn't its ram upgraded by removing the bottom panel.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
This is a plastic Macbook that has its ram upgraded via the battery compartment, not a unibody one that hasn't its ram upgraded by removing the bottom panel.

Oh, I thought the early '09 was the Unibody white plastic model with the rubber bottom...I just realized that model only had DDR3.

Tartarus

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
Oh, I thought the early '09 was the Unibody white plastic model with the rubber bottom...I just realized that model only had DDR3.

there are 2 2009 models, there is a non unibody, and a unibody, he is talking about the non unibody which has an L bracket under the battery slot to swap ram, and with this you push it directly in, not at a 45 degree angle.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
at this point you pretty much need to pull off the back cover and check out the logic board and make sure you didnt kill the ram slots. if so, then you need a new board at which point, upgrade to a 2.4!

jaysquestions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
kicking myself....

Ok, so ya'll were right.

I went to the Apple store and the guy just pushed the RAM right in, no problem. I guess despite trying to push that thing pretty hard, I just wasn't pushing hard enough with the right angle or whatever. But I figured it out now.

My RAM is working fine, no problems. Sorry for making a dumb mistake, lol! :D I can't believe i couldn't do it right the first time.

Thanks for the help!

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
its ok. Wouldnt you rather have a "I didnt push the ram in hard enough" post instead of a "I pushed the ram in so hard the chip shattered, my thumb got cut off and my macbook is dead" post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.