Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
So Ravpower sent me a new Filehub plus for free since two died on me... maybe third time is a charm?

As a side note: I got hold of a 2 Tb USB stick... yes stick, not hard drive. For a whole whopping 30.00! And it’s much smaller and easier to carry than a hard drive and uses less power from the Filehub.
I was sceptical that first of all it was actually 2 Tb and second of all that it would not die because of being cheaply made (it’s from China and cost 30.00 for 2 Tb so anyone would be skeptic) The RAV power did find it! And it’s definitely 2 Tb! For anyone wishing to lug around less it almost doesn’t even stick out from the Filehub! Search Amazon for Vefasonic 2 Tb USB stick.

That stick however is USB 2.0
I thought Ravpower I know is USB 3.0
I also have several USB 3.1 sticks of smaller capacity and the RAV power won’t find them at all. I thought devices are supposed to still find them but just that the transfer speed would be the USB 3.0? But it can’t even see the sticks at all....

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So Ravpower sent me a new Filehub plus for free since two died on me... maybe third time is a charm?

As a side note: I got hold of a 2 Tb USB stick... yes stick, not hard drive. For a whole whopping 30.00! And it’s much smaller and easier to carry than a hard drive and uses less power from the Filehub.
I was sceptical that first of all it was actually 2 Tb and second of all that it would not die because of being cheaply made (it’s from China and cost 30.00 for 2 Tb so anyone would be skeptic) The RAV power did find it! And it’s definitely 2 Tb! For anyone wishing to lug around less it almost doesn’t even stick out from the Filehub! Search Amazon for Vefasonic 2 Tb USB stick.

That stick however is USB 2.0
I thought Ravpower I know is USB 3.0
I also have several USB 3.1 sticks of smaller capacity and the RAV power won’t find them at all. I thought devices are supposed to still find them but just that the transfer speed would be the USB 3.0? But it can’t even see the sticks at all....

I think the USB on both the older and the new FileHub are 2.0. They definitely don't operate at 3.0 speeds. I have both but I'm using the older model - it doesn't get hot like the new one when in use.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I think the USB on both the older and the new FileHub are 2.0. They definitely don't operate at 3.0 speeds. I have both but I'm using the older model - it doesn't get hot like the new one when in use.

Even if it’s UB 2.0 shouldn’t it still ‘see’ a USB 3.0 stick? It would just transfer at the slower speed wouldn’t it? Instead it’s not seeing it at all...

By the way this is the 2Tb one. Grab a few and they are perfect companion to the Ravpower!
f5f1793b6cd64349757078e20d9f314f.jpg

Reactions: dabotsonline

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Even if it’s UB 2.0 shouldn’t it still ‘see’ a USB 3.0 stick? It would just transfer at the slower speed wouldn’t it? Instead it’s not seeing it at all...

By the way this is the 2Tb one. Grab a few and they are perfect companion to the Ravpower!
f5f1793b6cd64349757078e20d9f314f.jpg

Definitely should see them - I use a lot of USB 3 devices with mine. How are they formatted? Have you tried reformatting them?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

One more thought - was the FileHub already on when you inserted the stick? I've had instances where if I inserted a storage device when the hub was on, the storage wouldn't be seen/visible until I restarted it with the storage already attached.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
One more thought - was the FileHub already on when you inserted the stick? I've had instances where if I inserted a storage device when the hub was on, the storage wouldn't be seen/visible until I restarted it with the storage already attached.

I’ll try that thanks... yeah it was already on.

asahiart

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Uk
I was disappointed that the new version did not offer real performance improvements, much less backsliding. But for this kind of functionality, nothing else matches it. I have a similar Kingston device but performance is no better and it is limited to 2TB or less on the HDD (I have multiple 4TB drives i use).

For your WD03, you might try the brute force approach - reset the FileHub (little pinhole on the side). You'll have to input all your settings if you connect but it's worth a shot. Also, they have a new firmware for it -

https://www.ravpower.com/rp-wd03-fi...MFAEhCXj9p6A1DwCsYDnIzmR-K-4-CQhoCULQQAvD_BwE
Hi their- many thanks for the information- I have one question how is it possible to increase speeds over LAN and what is the possible highest speeds I can reach please ? I looked at buying this model however opted for the WD my cloud as I could plug in Mac HD that I have. I asked as first person that has the knowledge:) Regards

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
One thing regarding that 2TB pendrive - have you actually tried writing 2TB data to it? That is the only way you can verify it's actual capacity - call me sceptical but I'd be amazed if it truly was 2TB!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi their- many thanks for the information- I have one question how is it possible to increase speeds over LAN and what is the possible highest speeds I can reach please ? I looked at buying this model however opted for the WD my cloud as I could plug in Mac HD that I have. I asked as first person that has the knowledge:) Regards

Not sure what you're asking - what kind of setup are you using that you want to increase speed over?

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
im curious with this ravpower file hub.... if i transfer the raw in IPAD after editing can i transfer it back to the harddisk attach to the ravpower?

Reactions: max2

novetan

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I just got the RAVPower WD07 FileHub as an update replacement for my FileHub WD03. The WD07 is advertised as a performance improvement over the WD03, adding a 5GHz transmit capability. Aside from that, the new device is really functionally the same as the older and offers really great capabilities. Since there has been a lot of discussion regarding the earlier model, I'll focus on whether this new model is an improvement.

I ran tests with both devices, copying the same files from an SD card to a hard drive (both connected to the FileHub) and from the SD card to an iPad Pro. These tests indicate that the WD07 is significantly slower at transferring data than the WD03. I’ve had the WD03 for a couple of years now and also owned the earlier FileHub devices so I have years of experience with them. I am also a retired S/W Systems Engineer with 47 years’ experience so I try to be careful with my testing.

Files on SD card: 165 Canon RAW image files 2,041,391,621 bytes

Devices Used:

WD07 FileHub with latest firmware - V2.0.038
WD03 FileHub with latest firmware - V2.000.066
10.5” iPad Pro running iOS 11.4.1 with latest FileHub application – V2.0.48
Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SD card
Western Digital 4TB USB3.0 My Passport Ultra Portable Hard Drive

WD07Transfer Rates Measured:

SD card -> HDD (using Copy command in FileHub app): 216 secs. (9,450,887 bytes/sec 9.01 MB/sec)

SD card -> iPad Pro (5GHz FileHub network, using FileHub Copy command from SD card to FileHub Documents folder on iPad): 648 secs (3,150,295 bytes/sec 3.004 MB/sec)

SD card -> iPad Pro (2.4GHz FileHub network, using FileHub Copy command from SD card to FileHub Documents folder): 756 secs (2,700,253 bytes/sec 2.575 MB/sec)

WD03 Transfer Rates Measured:

SD card -> HDD (using Copy command in FileHub app): 156 secs (12.48 MB/sec)

SD card -> iPad Pro (FileHub network, using FileHub Copy command from SD card to FileHub Documents folder): 486 secs (4.00 MB/sec)

Other observations –
  • The WD07 got significantly warmer than the WD03 during these tests. When I removed the SD card from the WD07, it was very warm, a concern given the effects of heat on memory devices.
  • The WD03 has a larger battery (6000 mAh) than the WD07 (5200 mAh).
  • When connected to the WD07’s 5GHz network, bridging to other local networks is not possible as the FileHub does not show any external networks as available; bridging only works with the FileHub’s 2.4GHz network. On both devices, the bridged Internet connection runs at approx. 60% of the speed of the original connection (checked with Speedtest).
  • When used in bridge mode, the WD07 cannot see external 5GHz networks (similar to the WD03); it sees and can only bridge to 2.4GHz external networks.
  • Both devices provided solid connections, both with the FileHubs network alone and with bridged Internet connects; no drops seen.
  • Using an SMB connection to the FileHub, you can access the attached storage using other file management apps like FileBrowser and FileExplorer (unchanged functionality).
  • Physically, the WD07 is larger than the compact WD03 – about ½” longer, ¾” wider, but slightly smaller in depth. Weight is not noticeably different.
  • The USB port on both devices is USB2.0. I was hoping a newer model would be USB3.0.
  • The WD07 has a USB-C charge port while the WD03 uses micro USB. The WD07 may charge faster but I didn’t measure as that has never been an issue for me with the older device. A short USB-A (3.0) to USB-C is provided; for me, it just means one more cable to carry along so I don’t see this as a positive.
Conclusion – based on the above, the current incarnation of the FileHub does not appear to be an improvement over the earlier version (which is $10 cheaper on Amazon). In fact, is seems to be a step back. I'll be returning the WD07 for a refund and will continue using the WD03.

Links –

WD07: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BW3JYJR/
WD03: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5XQE3U/
Hi there,

As I intend to get a Ravpower file hub, I searched the forum and saw your post. So before spending money on it, I like to know the speed in terms of layman's language. You hv done a very detail analysis but those figures are alien to me.

The model that is selling now is Ravpower 2019 AC750. Yes, its 2024 now and I believed there isn't any newer model. I think it should be newer than your WD07. But still its USB 2.0 port.

Can I know by translating your figures into say a photo file of 100GB, how long would it take to transfer to a HHD or SSD external portable disk.

Tks much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.